Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm a little late to the party on this, but now that Insider is gone, are there any good character building tools out there? Also, does anyone know of any iOS or Android apps for use by 4e DMs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can anyone recommend any (preferably modular) terrain or tiles or what have you that would work with 4e? Stuff that isn't painted or detailed is fine because I can handle that myself; I just don't have the tools (or experience) to make stuff totally from scratch.

edit: 3D printer designs are also fine

DoubleDonut fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 9, 2021

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
yeah, sorry, I do mean physical stuff.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone have any suggestions for the opposite? I’ve got one leader, one defender, three strikers, and zero controllers.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone have any tips for making in-person play a little easier for new players? The current incarnation of the character builder can be a little annoying to get working properly, and it presents the player with every single feat alphabetically which can be pretty overwhelming, plus I’d like to spend an in person session making characters together instead of just sending everyone home to do it on their pc. But then calculating stuff quickly and keeping track of what stuff you’ve used can be kind of a pain; I was thinking maybe making cards for everyone’s powers and items to make it easier.

I’m also a little concerned about overwhelming people with options with feats, but I think if I just give everyone the big fest taxes for free (expertise, mba primary stat stuff, improved defenses) and tell them to pick what seems cool we should be okay.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
That all sounds pretty good. Any recommendations for what kind of stuff I can use for marking out zones? I was thinking of using small poker chips to track marks and on going effects, just placing them under the mini/token.

I’ve got some dungeon tiles I’ve never had the chance to actually use so I should be relatively okay on that front for now. At some point I want to make something more elaborate, but that’s more because I want to make and/or paint terrain than anything else.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Matt Colville's an actual 4e fan who has straight up said "4e's combat resembled video games, because video games is where combat is actually fun" so I'm pretty hopeful that the MCDM RPG will be interesting, if nothing else

Whether or not it'll be successful enough to be a going concern I couldn't say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is there a consistent source for the, uh, "final" DC charts (for skill checks as well as stuff like improvised combat actions and whatever else I'm forgetting) after all the errata and junk? I'm assuming Rules Compendium has them, but google was giving me some conflicting answers.