Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

DoubleDonut posted:

That all sounds pretty good. Any recommendations for what kind of stuff I can use for marking out zones? I was thinking of using small poker chips to track marks and on going effects, just placing them under the mini/token.

I’ve got some dungeon tiles I’ve never had the chance to actually use so I should be relatively okay on that front for now. At some point I want to make something more elaborate, but that’s more because I want to make and/or paint terrain than anything else.

I made some squares etc out of wire coathanger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Read ahead in the campaign a fair bit, if your players are as dense as mine, people like the cigarettes smoking man, really mention to your players several times that the game is xfiles insoired and the themes/motives underpinning the characters need to be weaved in earlier than you might otherwise do so.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Torchlighter posted:

I definitely think one of the weaknesses of 4e especially more than other editions of D&D is that 4e is heroic in tone to start and only gets more mythical as you gain levels, and the thing about myth is that death itself is often a fairly revolving door, so having a PC bite it randomly isn't entirely a circumstance with a lot of weight imo.

Yeah the RPG that has the death flag rule where you can only die if you choose to take that risk and you get some power ups doe the fight is onto a winner here. I've been doing something similar in 4E - it really encourages you to think about the fights properly because their have to be actual stakes, the town your defending is burnt down, the person you are rescuing is killed, whatever it is.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

The 4E zeitgeist adventure path is maybe the best adventure path for any game ever.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Ominous Jazz posted:

Do you still give out +1 whatever magic items or do you just stick to cool magic items? I'm trying to build up some house rules for the 4e I'm about to run and plan on stealing as much as possible. I've already got "assign your stat bonuses however you want".

Yeah but I try and make sure they are cool items. You can also get ahead of the curve which is also fun