Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
Just be aware that with everything, some classes very clearly got exponentially more love than others. A player making a PHB1 class character with all supplements will have way way way more options than a player making a phb3 class character. It doesn't break the balance, the former aren't godlike and the latter can still contribute, it's just worth considering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
Is it a hot take that Heroes Of The Feywild is a Good Book? It goes back to the AEDU paradigm, and actually feels like a pre-essentials book in a lot of ways, but being more experimental by having stuff like the tiny-size Pixies, and dual-power-source classes like the Berserker.
Also the skald is just the better version of the bard.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
Monsters with powers that create zones are very very useful. MMO jokes and all, yeah, but "don't stand in the fire" is useful advice in 4e, too.

Slingers that throw oil pots that force players to grant CA, fire zones that deal tons of damage, even just like repulsive orbs that push PCs away from its center, forcing them to reposition the hard way.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship

Orange Devil posted:

Also a quick check rules check: am I supposed to tell the players which monsters are minions?

The DMGs state that you should identify minions as having worse\shoddier weapons and armor. If the battle's gimmick is not being able to tell minions from the other enemies, like in a clone scenario, sure, but if there's not a good reason, I recommend against it.

Namagem fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 2, 2021

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
Defender Wizard

Elemental Battlefield Control

Choose Frost Pillar, Flame Ring, or Shock Cage. You gain the corresponding power.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship

Sage Genesis posted:

Can you overlap Flame Rings like the world's hottest Venn diagram?

Is there a limit to the amount of Frost Pillars on the battlefield? Or can you use your move+minor to block off even a 10' wide corridor like an instant wall which radiates debuffs? HP seem a little high (basically anywhere from 30 to 100 HP) for such a casual conjuration. Summons tend to have your bloodied value or healing surge value as their HP. Given that you can just re-conjure it as a minor action, perhaps that's a better call?

I made sure to include "or until you use this power again" on each of these.

Edit: Apparently missed it on frost pillar; that was an error

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
I'd probably go with a couple soldiers or a soldier elite to try to pull the strikers away from the backline with a couple artillery or controller units in the back to hassle the strikers from a distance and give a good target to the controller.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
When I played, our GM had a bunch of colored chips that interlocked and were slightly bigger than the base of the minis. Each color of chip represented a different major condition

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship

ZZT the Fifth posted:

gently caress I really want to go back and play a 4e warlord. They look so cool but I dunno if I can find a group to play in.

Warlords are amazing and I was bummed the gently caress out when the only bone thrown to that entire character concept in 5e was a halfbaked fighter style that is actively terrible in 5e

Its so blatantly just "here you can't say we didn't do this for you!"

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
Give all the enemies the same aura so everyone is always in it

I see no way this could backfire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship

Jack B Nimble posted:

and the 4th edition mechanic of healing dice (wasn't that a thing??)
There's a couple things you could be referring to

1. In 4e, there's a concept called Healing Surges, which behaves similarly to 5e's hitdice. Players don't roll dice for it, but instead has a set "surge value" equal to half their bloodied value (which is usually equal to half their HP total.)

2. Each Leader class has a healing ability, and depending on the class, they may or may not get bonus dice to that heal.