Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Prison Warden posted:

It's probably my gaming history but the very idea of the GM hiding his rolls from the players is baffling to me.

Same, but mostly because my group only has one set of dice. It's fine, though; if the d20 lands on the other side of the table when it's Monster Time, I get to ask the players do some attack rolls against themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

My preferred lightsaber character was a shadar kai with two rods and vestige pact. (Eldritch Blast as a melee basic + dual implement expertise.). My swords are made out of ghosts.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Upping monster damage and decreasing monster health will both make fights more tense and make them shorter.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

cybertier posted:

About disadvantage number 4.
Is the game playable by two players with one supporting GM PC?
Are there any good options for a GM PC that can fill a support role without too many options, so I can have the character help the players without getting bogged down in a combat, by thinking what this support character should do?

I've run a low-level two-pc game without the GM PC. It's totally doable if you've got a handle on basic encounter design and if you have an idea of what your players can do.

For example:
Play to the team's strengths. I had a Dragonborn Knight and a Skald. The Dragonborn was a heavy, front-line Defender class, with gobs of HP and defenses, and a minor action AoE that could pop minions very easily. I could throw monsters at him and swarm him with minions and be fairly sure he would eventually get through them all. The Skald was more lightly armored, but he had a good basic attack, could heal and buff, and was generally able to keep both of them on their feet.
The game has an "encounter budget" that basically means you can include one Standard monster for each player. So four Minions for each, and one Elite for both, and only use Solos for the biggest boss fights you half-expect the players to lose. If the team doesn't have any AoE attacks, go light on the minons. If there's no healer, go light on the damage and use more status effects. If nobody can hit hard, more minions and lower-hp standards.

You may have to fudge the dice a little, or constantly have a non-game-ending resolution for when the dice swing the wrong way, and I think creativity in encounter design is a bit more important with two players than with five, but my game was a good time and nobody really missed having strikers or controllers around.

All of this said, a GM PC (ideally a potion caddy or acolyte who only knows Healing Word) might be easier than all of that, especially for a first game.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Sorcerer multiclass feat will give daggers as implements.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

TheDemon posted:

go mad with hybriding

Probably strongly discourage players from doing this. Hybrids are fun, but relatively easy to make extremely bad, especially for someone who hasn't got a solid grasp on the game yet.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

1) Implement powers don't get the weapon proficiency modifiers. Spells and the like usually target the non-AC defenses, which are often lower than AC, so the hit rate is about the same. Baking in that modifier will be like adding +2 to the attack roll of every wizard spell, before things like combat advantage and Leader buffs, so it's not too hard to make it so casters are almost perfectly accurate.

2) Even if feats didn't have all sorts of fun and cool stuff to do, there are enough classes and builds that practically require specific feats to do their job well that I can't recommend banning them. And at least half the reason to prepay the feat taxes is to make room for the fun stuff.

3) Healing surges are fine. With Monster Manual 3 math, monsters hit hard, and your Leaders are only going to have so many actions to spend on healing. If players are coasting on what surgeless healing they can find, add a monster or two to their next fight.

User0015 posted:

When were these introduced? I don't want to hand my newer players a list of 100 feats and be like, "a couple of these are mandatory, the rest are garbage good luck." Hell, I might just hand those feats to them and continue to let them pick up other things, if necessary. In my eyes, picking up feats that make your character work should just happen, so they can spend more time picking up fun out of combat rituals or fun skill powers.

Some of them appeared in issues of Dragon, others in books. Your best bet for finding what feats are necessary for what build of what class are searching for the various class handbooks people have put up on forums. Google like "4e Wizard Handbook" and you'll get a thread of what stuff's good and why. There are thousands of published feats, so the handbooks are nice.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Gonna try and run a roll20 game for internet strangers probably. I have a bunch of character building patches that I built up over the years I haven't been able to get a game together: Did I miss anything?

And there's a mechanic I want to spring on the players that I could use some additional eyes on.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Handing over a quest item to someone you want to immediately betray. Maybe put it on something you want to leave unguarded for a bit, but can't risk actually losing or that you're using to catch the thief.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

What's your reason for giving people a customized, limited version of Melee Weapon Training, rather than just giving away that feat for free?

Melee Training only gives half the stat in damage. If you mean "why not free to everyone," I figure the wizard can spend the feat if they want to get into melee.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

ElegantFugue posted:

So I'm looking to see if there's any feats to make Total Defense even beefier/more appealing.

I googled this and found a stack exchange answer on it. Here are the bits that you probably qualify for:

quote:

Items seems to directly enhance your defense:

Parry Gauntlets (Level 5, Adventurer's Vault) +2 item bonus.
Defensive Weapon (Level 2+, multiple books) +Enhancement item bonus.
Ring of Vigilant Defense (Level 17, Adventurer's Vault) +4 item bonus.
Sword of Kas (Epic Artifact, Open Grave) +5 item bonus.

While feats tends to give your total defense some rider effects:

Timely Respite (Heroic, PHB2) Make a save when you total defense.
Shifting Defense (Heroic, PHB3) Shift 1.
Watchful Redoubt (Heroic, PHB3) +1 attack roll.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

thefakenews posted:

So, I'm running a 4E games for some newish roleplayers who have mainly played 5E. I have been building their characters through the Character Builder to save time and effort. A new player sent me this as a character concept:

I feel like there are some ways to approach this concept using reflavouring and maybe some kind of hybrid character. It probably won't be super optimised, but since the players are new it shouldn't be a huge deal.

Anyone got any ideas on how to approach this? I have asked what being a "fighter" means to him in this context, but I haven't got an answer yet.

Edit: I was thinking reflavouring Dragonborn for a fire breath weapon, Artificer has some relevant stuff, or maybe swordmage.

There's also all sorts of consumables that do some fire stuff, maybe let him take a feat to find/make X of those a day for free.

Not CB friendly, but I might make a set of power-swap feats that are just artificer/wizard/sorcerer/swordmage powers reskinned. Like, if they were buying the pizza every week and Had To Be A Fighter.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

thefakenews posted:

He seems to just want to play a fighter but coat his sword in alchemist's fire to get an encounter long damage bonus. Is there an item that does something like this that is accessible to a level 1 character? I'm a bit wary of him turning a one use alchemist's fire into an encounter long buff, but he insists it should work that way. Maybe I'm overestimating the benefit (I probably am).

Encounter long damage bonus is a Daily power. Con-secondary Artificers have an entire line of Daily powers that do exactly what he wants to do.

Lemme try:

Inherent bonuses, so he can spend his gold on consumables and not get screwed by the item enchantment bonus treadmill.
Alchemist theme, for the free Alchemist's Fire every short rest.
Brawler Fighter with Quick Draw, so he can pull out his AFires and use them in one action without juggling shields.
Artificer ___ Sigil dailies instead of Fighter dailies, reworked a little to do Fire stuff instead of Cold or whatever it is this level.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Mecha Gojira posted:

I'm the only person in the world who thinks everyone should get the free weapon/implement focus feat as well. Mmm, scaling damage in a game where combat can drag, yes, good.

I do that, too. Combat still takes a while, but I need to start using minions or something anyway.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Power swaps can be strong enough that spending a feat to do it seems ok to me. One for all three, anyway.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Vampires
Seekers
Hexblades
Shroud-option Assassins

Most of the classes are functional. Anything from PHBs I and II were strong to begin with and given tons of bonus support throughout the life of the game.

Add Bladesinger to the list, the class that gets Wizard encounter powers as daily powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Moriatti posted:

Did anyone figure out how yo make Beastmaster Ranger good, or at least functional at low level?
Gonna run a one shot for some coworkers and I know having a pet wolf would gain a lot of buy in for one of them.

"Be another kind of Ranger with a pet theme" was the last advice I heard. I think Fey Beast Tamer was the best?

There was a later class build--the Sentinel Druid--that also has an animal companion class feature.