Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
You could say much the same about pretty much every role, though? It would be more fun for everyone else if controller as a role didn't exist and everyone else did more control, etc. That way lies a bland mess where everyone is a jack of all trades and master of none.

Damage isn't the only thing that's fun in this game, and it's just as fun to do less damage but make the monster sit up and beg if it wants to do anything, or splash 10 minions with one burst whilst the striker is wasting damage picking them off one at a time, or make the striker do it again, but better, or set up massive buffs for the whole party... etc.

I never felt like I was missing out on anything by not doing as much damage as a Ranger. Because, sure, they might have spiked one monster into oblivion on their turn, but there are still plenty more to go around.

Conversely, I definitely DID sometimes feel like I was missing out on something playing a defender alongside some well-initiative-optimised Wizards. It's a lot harder for a defender to have fun locking down monsters and making them have no good choices when they don't have any choices at all, because they're stunned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I like some solution of being able to burn resources (in 4e I guess it would be surges, or maybe Action Points) to downgrade conditions.

So, if you get Dominated, you can burn 1 surge to be Stunned instead, or 2 to be Dazed instead, 3 to just lose your minor action, or 4 to be fine.

And so on down the stack, if Stunned, surge to be dazed, 2 to lose your minor, 3 to be fine, &C &C.

Maybe only as a daily or encounter power that everyone has, maybe not, depending on how common the condition infliction is, but I really, really dislike 'Don't Do Stuff (Save ends)' on a monster at all.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Recharge rolls are annoying, to be honest. I'd far prefer them to just be 'every other turn' or 'recharge when bloodied', and that IIRC was often how I ran them. The rolls are a faff and super easy to forget.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Klungar posted:

Anyone have a good list of neat/interesting non-combat feats? As one would expect, there are tons of guides for combat-focused feats but nothing for non-combat.

4e's non-combat design is kind of an afterthought, I really doubt there's a lot of non-combat guides out there. You can get things like skill proficiencies and speed boost easily, but there's relatively little in terms of improving out-of-combat interaction because the bones of 4e are dungeon delving and it laser focussed on that aspect.

Utility powers are where most of the non-com stuff is, and Rituals. There's tonnes of stuff in Rituals if you look there.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

berenzen posted:

IIRC there was a pretty good chain of D&D Living Forgotten Realms modules that were pretty good. Somebody had plan of compiling them all into a single campaign to go from 1-20 or so. I'll see if I can dig up what some of the modules were and link the adventures.

Edit: here we go, dug it up. You can find them here

FWIW I never did get round to compiling them into a single campaign, because I long since stopped playing, but it shouldn't be too hard to work out at a speed of around 2 mods per level if you play up, or 3 per level if you play at-level, you're looking at around 50 sessions from 1-30.

The EPIC mods are honestly really good and surprisingly well balanced, especially when you know by that stage roughly what you're expecting from them, and they're written really cinematically, there are some excellent set pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

Ok, so I have a cool idea for a boss, but I wonder if the power I want to give him is over the top? If you're playing in my game don't read this obvs.

The idea is an elite monster who gets 2 turns, and they're at level or maybe slightly above level for the party. The power is that they always roll publically, but also they get to decide what they're going to do after they roll. I want it to be like a timey wimey thing. I like the idea but it might be too strong for 4e? I don't know how much of the math is super reliant on RNG.

You need to know how you're going to handle players' triggered abilities that can affect rolls. Particularly things that for instance, might only affect an attack roll against an ally, but not against themself, or only an attack roll but not a skill check, etc.

When do they get to use them and how?

That's probably something to tailor to your specific players' abilities, though.