Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
I've only played around four sessions of 4e with a group of 3-6 friends and it's always been a blast. Thing is, our DM is more or less out of the picture now. I'm thinking of trying to step up and DM a campaign for my crew, but I've got a few questions you guys might be able to answer:

- How much knowledge of the game mechanics do I need to become a successful DM? As I've said I've only played a handful of games so I'm not 100% on everything. I'm kind of hesitant to DM if I need an encyclopedic knowledge of the game, since I imagine there's a lot to worry about.

- I'm currently in possession of the first three player's handbooks, but not much else. I haven't gone them too-too much as of yet, but would these books in conjunction with the rules compendium be sufficient for getting a game going?

- Does anyone have any general tips I should know before I try DMing? The guy we had before was alright, but I kind of got the impression that he was a wee bit inflexible in some regards (scaling fights for our sometimes poorly thought-out party and so forth).

I've gone through the OP and the few posts in this thread and I'm sorry if I overlooked something and asked something already answered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU