Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Is there any serious harm in baking in BuaBS/Auspicious Birth right into the classes? I'm looking at running Zeitgeist campaign when I get a bit more time, and like spaceinvader said, it's not like it ends up being a ton of HP over a character lifetime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

No, multiclassing in 4e allows you to do the following things
  • Pick up feats from the class you multiclassed into
  • Pick up class-specific paragon paths
  • With the use of a feat (Novice power for encounters, Acolyte Power for Utilities, Adept Power for Dailies), swap out one of your powers with another equivalent class.
  • Be able to go for paragon multiclass for an encounter power, utility power and daily power from your multiclass (Don't do this, its a terrible option vs. all the other amazing paragon paths)

You don't get to pick up the powers on demand, as theres a few ways that can get degenerate very quickly.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 25, 2015

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

It used to be even better, because you could trigger it multiple times, rather than 1/(turn or round, I forget which). Needless to say, that got errataed a while back.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I've taken flame spiral to mid epic after admixturing it to lightning as a sorcerer/lightning fury/avatar of storm. With a ton of forced movement in the party, I was multitapping for upwards of 120 damage per player turn for an encounter per turn.

Yes, sorcerers get silly, particularly when built around.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 1, 2015

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Dragonborn are pretty cool. Ignore the broken as hell subraces.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Staff of Ruin, though if you're a storm Sorcerer, grabbing Queen's staff in paragon is probably better because of the set bonus that you get.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Yukari posted:

For a storm sorc, between Voice of Thunder and Lightning Fury, which one is preferred?

Lightning fury, always. Being able to ignore immunity is amazing. You will never have to worry about resistances until maybe level 19, and even then it's probably only 1 or 2 points of damage ignored. Plus the powers themselves are stupid good.

With gifts of the queen, you also pair up with exceptionally with radiant mafia.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Yukari posted:

I doubt that I'll get to play with Radiant Mafia, but if I use the crown's ability to change the damage to radiant from lightning, does it change the keywords on the power?

No, it just changes the damage type, the keyword still stays the same. But the entire Gifts of the Queen set is amazing. The staff will give you an eternal +2 attack bonus, slippers work really well with all the sliding powers you have, and the ring is one of the best rings that you'll get until mid- to late-epic. As for the helm and the bracelets, there's not a lot of competition, and they give +1 damage. The 5 set is kinda meh, but it allows you to include yourself in your blasts with a chance at negating the damage. But the thing is, aside from the staff and ring, there isn't a lot of competition for the slots, so grab them anyway if you can.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 12, 2016

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Yukari posted:

Is there a place that lists all the different powers/spells a class gets in one place? I've been using the wiki but it has a ton of red links. Current build idea for the campaign I'm in is Wizard, Wind-Rider PP, into Avatar of Storm, but I'm having a hard time finding good thunder spells to use until I get to 21.

wizard doesn't have a lot of good thunder/lightning skills available. Sorcerer is a better fit for thunder/lightning stuff.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Seriously, if you want storm/lightning mage sort of thing with the avatar of storm capstone go Storm Sorcerer/Lightning Fury/Avatar of Storm. You're off-control, as you'll get a lot of slide effects that are thunder based, and when you hit your epic destiny, you will never have to worry about resistances ever again.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The prerequisite for avatar of the storm is the feat storm sacrifice - which it appears you can qualify for by getting Divine channeler.

The downside is it becomes basically very to grab the improved critical feats due to the strength requirements.

Avatar of storm gives +2 strength, +2 con, so as long as a player has 11 strength as a sorcerer, you get it without strength investment. And yeah, it requires divine channeler, which means low-int for the sorcerer. 11 strength, 13 con, 14 dex, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 16, grab religion through a background, take divine channeler to grab one of the chaladin CD, grab storm sacrifice. It's feat heavy, so try to convince your DM to just let you grab the feat. But AoS is the best storm sorcerer Epic Destiny in the game, It's a CHA hit, so you'll end up with 26 charisma in the end, but you'll be hitting for +70-80 modifiers on your damage for an encounter. It's amazingly fun, and you end up clearing out massive swaths of the battlefield. The +2 strength that you get from Avatar of Storm lets you qualify for the expanded criticals.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

If you're using an accurate staff of the queen, it's not a big deal. Plus, the hit is only at epic, where your enemies should be granting combat advantage a large portion of the time anyway.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Rangers get even better when they get more modifiers to their damage, plus immediate action attacks, plus minor action attacks, plus multiattacks. Plus, if they can get prime shot active, they're pretty drat accurate as well.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

I think we established that it's latte art and laneway graffiti.

On-topic, what do people think is the best level window for 4E? 1st is a bit boring (not enough options/things to do), and epic always seems too far in the other direction to me (although if you've played the first 20 levels it's less of an issue, since everyone knows how their characters work already).

With experienced players, probably 9th- 15th. By 9th, you're at the point where you have a full suite of abilities, and you can get all your team synergies down for paragon, and then paragon I feel is where the game shines. You get a whole bunch of cool things that you can do, if a bit cheesy, like radiant mafia and frost abuse, but at the same time the abilities are super cool and really show off the game well. The system math holds best together during these levels, before you start getting into upper paragon where the really crazy poo poo starts to happen. Epic is fun, but it drags on a lot if one player has analysis paralysis, there are so many different things that you can do.

With inexperienced players, that still know the system 5th level is a little bit better as they still have fun stuff without being slapped with analysis paralysis.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Basically, the biggest issue is that the shroud assassin is designed to build up damage over several turns, then unload all that damage. The problem is that a striker's is supposed to finish fights quickly by just straight up alpha-striking the targets into oblivion. The issue with assassin is that it does that, but it takes time to build up, which is counter-intuitive to the striker's role. They also have pretty terrible multi-striking capability, which is necessary to have as a good striker. It's serviceable in a low-op party, it's not at vampire levels of bad, but it's still not a good striker.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I think the biggest way to make Shrouds work would have been to start combat with all shrouds active, then you either build (using at-wills/utilities) or expend (using encounters or Dailies) them as needed. So you get that big nova at the start, then get to play sort of a mini-game within to maximize your damage.

Of course, doing it that way can make the game even more fiddly than it already is.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Yukari posted:

Actually, is it possible to take the Power of X feats if you don't have Channel Divinity?

No, unfortunately. You do need channel divinity.

Otherwise Avatar of Storm would probably be literally the best Storm Sorcerer ED. As it is, it's still good, but requires a hell of a lot of hoops to jump through.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

No, domain feats don't require channel divinity.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Wardens are super hilarious for the sheer fact that you can force enemies to permanently be prone except on their turn where they go 'Move: stand-Up, Standard:Shift 1'.

Then on your turn you hit them with a slowing/Immobilizing attack and knock them on their assets again with world serpent's grasp.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

With only PHB 1 and 2, you might be able to get away with a wizard, but with other books you can easily get a wizard at level 14 that has an at-will with each enemy in this 3x3 area takes 1d6+mods damage, -2 to all attacks, an additional -2 to attacks against you, cannot make opportunity attacks and grant combat advantage to the next strike against them.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 11, 2016

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Pretty sure most of the fighter polearm stuff came from martial power.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

21-23. 18-20 start, 2 from leveling and 1 from paragon

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Dwarf Earthwardens can get some obscene defenses, along with some nasty slow/prone stuff on mark punishment, when they second wind, it's hilarious.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

4-6 encounters per extended rest. Milestone every 2 encounters.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Is there any way to get feat bonuses to warlock attack powers with shortbows outside of Implement Expertise or Versatile Expertise? Trying to make a warlock build with Moonbow Dedicate, and I'm trying to find a way to get implement bonuses for the powers.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Well, yeah. This would be a free expertise feat. I can get the bonus, but I wondering if there's anything aside from implement/versatile expertise that'd work as well, because bow expertise doesn't work.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I'd put in the +2 strength bonus from Epic Destiny as well for the level 21 and level 30 there, if we're going full char-op. So it's 65% and 60% to hit respectively from the additional +1.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

IIRC it actually took a while for people to figure out the nusemnee's atonement combo, and the whole thing didn't really work altogether until Sensate became a thing because you would kill yourself pretty quickly if you weren't careful.

Basically, the rebreather only really came into existence until WotC had completely stopped putting in any real effort with 4th.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Cunning stalker and distant advantage are probably your best go-tos for getting combat advantage for ranged combat.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 18, 2017

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Section Z posted:

Oh poo poo, Cunning stalker works for ranged attacks? I've been interpreting the "Nothing next to them other than you" in the sense of needing to be next to them myself to trigger. Like a power creep version of that feat that needed a Rapier for CA.

If it does work for ranged/I can get away with ranged where I play it, that really would do the job since I take cunning stalker anyways.

Yeah, the only reason why they needed "no other creatures other than you" is specifically so it can also work for melee attacks.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Cunning stalker works, full stop, if nobody is beside the target.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

What you could do is set it up so that the whole monster has a shared health pool, but have seperate discrete sections, each with its own abilities, and a single initiative roll but each part acts at +5 intervals to the initiative (glowing weak point acts at like +20, so it can set up walls and poo poo to protect itself, drive in the fact that this is the point they need to target). Give non weak point parts of the plant immunity or high resistances to attacks, to point out 'Hey glowing weak point right here, come attack it if you can.' But if players want to try to slog through the plant's resistances to kill it, power to them.

For walls, make them minions so the party controller can have fun just completely blasting open sections of the room. Have the plant try to isolate members of the party as well with slides, forcing them to try to regroup or fight split. Also, when I think plant, I think of status effects and poison, so play around with those as well, have them make saves and force the leader to utilize their save-ends powers.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 29, 2017

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The thing is that there are some really cool and viable builds out there that go way off the beaten path of the char-op guides, and you'd lose that with packages unless the person building those feat packages knew the whole goddamed system in and out.

Like, storm sorcerer into avatar of storm requires a bunch of esoteric hoops to jump through, but is a super cool build that shits out tons of aoe damage.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

This is a Avenging crit fisherman, haven't fully tuned it, but it's close. On a crit, with the selected items, you deal max damage+6d6+3d8+1d10, then attack with 3 Overwhelming Strikes (from Rending Kopesh, Ardent Fury, Two Weapon Opening). None of those Overwhelming Strikes are free actions either. So if you crit, it becomes far more likely that you'll crit more on the turn and just turn into a cascading blender of death.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 30
Half-Elf, Avenger, Ardent Champion, Eternal Seeker
Avenger's Censure: Censure of Pursuit
Seeking Destiny: Reborn in Light
Half-Elf Power Selection: Dilettante
Background: Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 24, Con 14, Dex 15, Int 13, Wis 26, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 10, Dex 13, Int 11, Wis 16, Cha 8.

AC: 40 Fort: 42 Reflex: 37 Will: 43
HP: 214 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 53

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +22, Stealth +23, Athletics +32, Acrobatics +23, Perception +35

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +16, Bluff +15, Diplomacy +17, Dungeoneering +23, Endurance +17, Heal +23, History +16, Insight +25, Intimidate +17, Nature +23, Streetwise +15, Thievery +17

FEATS
Level 1: Power of Skill
Level 2: Heavy Blade Expertise
Level 4: Weapon Focus (Axe)
Level 6: Two-Blade Warrior
Level 8: Improved Defenses
Level 10: Unarmored Agility
Level 11: Versatile Master
Level 12: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 14: Two-Weapon Opening
Level 16: Painful Oath
Level 18: Deadly Axe
Level 20: Devastating Critical
Level 21: Hand of Divine Guidance
Level 22: Punishing Radiance
Level 24: Martial Mastery
Level 26: Epic Resurgence
Level 28: Triumphant Attack
Level 30: Justice Hammer

POWERS
Avenger at-will 1: Overwhelming Strike
Avenger at-will 1: Radiant Vengeance
Dilettante: Twin Strike
Seeker's Lore: Giant's Might
Avenger encounter 1: Raging Tempest
Avenger daily 1: Strength of Many
Avenger utility 2: Refocus Enmity
Avenger encounter 3: Fury's Advance
Avenger daily 5: Menacing Presence
Avenger utility 6: Righteous Pursuit
Avenger encounter 7: Inexorable Pursuit
Avenger daily 9: Aspect of Might
Avenger utility 10: Wings of Vengeance
Avenger encounter 13: Crimson Stride (replaces Raging Tempest)
Avenger daily 15: Temple of Brilliance (replaces Strength of Many)
Avenger utility 16: Temple of Seclusion
Avenger encounter 17: Vengeful Parry (replaces Crimson Stride)
Avenger daily 19: Blade of Astral Hosts (replaces Menacing Presence)
Avenger utility 22: Ghostly Vengeance
Avenger encounter 23: Storm of Blades (replaces Inexorable Pursuit)
Avenger daily 25: Blade Cascade (replaces Blade of Astral Hosts)
Avenger encounter 27: Hurricane of Blades (replaces Vengeful Parry)
Avenger daily 29: Follow-Up Blow (replaces Aspect of Might)

ITEMS
Greater Starweave Armor of Eyes +6, Rending Khopesh +6 (2), Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier), Ioun Stone of Might, Torc of Power Preservation +6, Claw Gloves (heroic tier), Ring of Free Time (epic tier), Ring of Fey Travel (epic tier), Wraith's Cord (epic tier), Zephyr Boots (epic tier), Ironheart Tattoo (epic tier), Solitaire (Violet) (epic tier), Symbol of Damnation +6
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Gah, misread that in the builder. Then swap TWO for punishing axe instead, still become a murderblender.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Minimum as-written damage. So minimum diceroll damage+ attribute modifier, no other modifiers apply.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

He has a pressure washer hose attached to his back, filled with alchemists fire/acid/whatever the frost equivalent is. His 60' cone of acid attack is him spraying the party down with it.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

How are Binders- a class that fundamentally doesn't work- not on that list?

berenzen fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

You can probably tie it to the milestone system. Recharge like 1/4-1/3 of their surges, and a daily power every milestone and a daily enchantment or two every milestone in addition to the action point. Refresh everything on level up.