Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

I have a coworker who has played in Pathfinder games, but not 4e. They have been talked into running an online 4e game as GM. I'm going to link them to the resources in this thread, but does anyone have any common 'gotcha' rules differences between the systems I can point out to help with the transition? I already mentioned the whole non-euclidean diagonal movement thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Cerepol posted:

Anyone run Zeitgeist in this thread? Was thinking about running it for my group and was wondering if there is anything I should know off the bat about it. Been reading through the players guide and about to start the Campaign guide. I do also realize it's not done and they are taking their sweet time to finish it

I have not yet, buy our DM is interested in possibly running it with us!
... After our current Scales of War campaign is finished.
... We just hit level 19.
But I still have a character all planned out already :dance: Cindersoul Genasi Shielding Swordmage Vekesh. Even at level 1, he's making me think, "this guy looks like he'll be so fun to play, but geez I really hope the DM will forgive me for it."

That does lead me to a question, though. I'm planning to give him a Rapier as a weapon. Would doing so lock me out of any cool Heavy Blade properties/feats/powers/etc.? I'm taking Intelligent Blademaster at level 1, for the record.

Prison Warden posted:

If you, mechanically, had to sum up what a class is good at in a few sentences (stuff like "sorcerers are good at area blast damage" and "fighters are good at keeping your opponents in one place" and "vampires are bad and such (hoho)), what would you write?

I'm thinking of just using 4e as a tactical combat engine, stripping out all flavor and such before houseruling a bunch of stuff.
I've been wondering for a bit now how much it might help class design in an RPG to design a class by laying out 3-5 things that the class Just Does Better, and then tracing back ALL of their powers to something on that list. Anyway, based on my experiences with my group so far:

Brawler Fighters: Single-target lockdown incarnate. They beeline for the largest opponent on the battlefield, chokeslam them into the floor, and bash their head in while pinning them in place and screaming bloody murder at them.

Tactical Warlords: Battlefield computers with weapons. They dance around a target while poking it with pointy sticks, pointing out weaknesses and vulnerabilities for allies to exploit, and will frequently trick their enemies into creating such openings directly.

? Psions: DISHEARTEN DISHEARTEN DISHEARTEN DISHEARTEN DISHEARTEN

Infernal Pact Warlocks: Everyone is different. No two people are not on fire. Also, using demonic powers to fling people around the room while running around as a hard-to-hit cloud of ashen smoke.

? Rangers: You shoot about a million arrows per turn.

Serene Blade Runepriests: Nigh-perpetual fields of constantly changing fiddly little bonuses (which are very helpful when you remember them). Also protected by a constantly-regenerating buffer of Temp HP.

Dragonborn Paladin: I BREATHE FIRE ON IT AND THEN HIT IT WITH MY AXE

Sword and Board Fighter: Completely ignores ranged attacks while tripping and slowing anyone unfortunate enough to end up nearby.

? Avenger: Select a specific target. Then hunt them down forever and don't stop stabbing them with super-accurate holy vengeance and light until they're dead. Any time anybody crits, things start escalating.

Wild Mage Sorcerer: "Okay, so I know I'm starting my turn stunned, but my unconscious body rises up anyway like a puppet on strings. First I summon a burst of icy fangs to devour those enemies, then I turn into a coyote made out of lightning, and run through this group of minions here... Hit, hit, miss, crit, hit, mi- Oops." "Oh god drat it, Lucan; what did you do this time?" (Serious answer, area burst effects with no or okay bonuses on odds, and good or fantastic bonuses on evens. And some REALLY weird utilities.)

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Echophonic posted:

Going to keep the ally idea in mind, though. I'm sure one of the summoning statues would do the trick for a round or two.

The problem with THAT is that it suddenly turns you into a group of targets for the burst-oriented Wild Mage Sorcerer to explode, and it's already his gimmick to blow up the party :v:

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

To be honest, sometimes I just need an excuse to write down my vague ideas concisely. Usually I realize halfway through that I've actually got it all worked out, sometimes I hit Post. :shobon:

Anyway he's fine with it and I'm throwing in a magic item as a reward to sweeten the deal.

You always want to ask for stuff like this if it's going to actually last for any relevant length of time, but yeah. Sweet loot generally makes up for many wrongs.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Hey, some people here are running or are in a Zeitgeist campaign, right? What's the Martial Scientist theme like in actual play? Do you get new attacks pretty much as a matter of course, or do you have to painstakingly seek them out? Do they tend to be useful, are there just a couple that are viable, is there not really much to do with it? Do you only get stuff for levels 1-10, or can you keep finding things after Heroic ends?

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Design stuff aside, my players have hit paragon tier in our 4e game. poo poo is about to get real.

Most are taking the Zeitgeist paragon paths, and I have to say, I'm thrilled one is taking Polyhistor. It's crazy and I'd love to play one.

It looks like it was inspired by the earlier drafts of the 5e Fighter, with martial dice useful for combat tricks. There is a lot of MBA love, but still... Interesting.

I'm looking at that one for the assault Swordmage I'm planning to build when/if our group finishes its current campaign and moves on to Zeitgeist. I completely skipped it on my first reading because it sounded so fiddly and complicated, but after actually reading it I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too much trouble to implement through the offline builder as a set of power cards. Also it'd make opportunity attacks actually interesting beyond dealing damage, which had been one of my big concerns about trying out a defender.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Echophonic posted:

Half my group likes Pathfinder and has never given me an actual answer as to why you can't roleplay in 4e. It's something about the skill system, I think?

I'd say it's just the one, really. The DM and the Avenger agreed at our last big discussion that the only real difference between PF and 4e for roleplaying was that the length of 4e's combat was longer and therefore you had less time to spend on roleplaying, which is pretty much a true fact even if we disagree with them on whether or not it's a worthwhile tradeoff when the alternative is just going to be "more time to spend rolling Diplomacy." It's mostly just the Paladin who doesn't think 4e RP is possible/good despite the rest of us seeming to do fine at it, and I'm pretty sure we're not convincing him.

Regarding playing 4e: So, uh, Blade of the Eldritch Knight from the Eldritch Panalopy, AV2: Does this actually do what I think it does? Your standard and AP melee attacks just have a range of 5? That seems a bit crazy.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Echophonic posted:

I think I may just ask my DM if I can use Pact Blade Manifestation (the playtest feat). I was convinced by a friend in the interim that an MBA class would bore me to death. I mean, I got bored playing an Gnome Illusionist Mage. I need melee and action, apparently. Though, it occurs to me, if I'm already re-fluffing everything to be various 3.5-style psionic disciplines, do I REALLY need the Blade of the White Well and it's busted-rear end MBA?

Probably? Just tinkering with a skirmisher feylock makes it seem like a blast. Just teleport around debuffing the living hell out of everything.

Friends don't let friends play Essentials :v:

Between that and my assault swordmage, I feel like our DM may learn to despise teleports.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Moriatti posted:

So I'm looking to do a Skype game with a few friends, and 3/5 of them picked hengeyokai. I was going to have them start in Eberron, then almost immediately move to the Infinite Staircase and Sigil. (I'm going to adapt Tales from the Infinite Staircase, The Great Modron March and Dead Gods into 4Runner as an ongoing campaign.)

The question is, what is the deal with hengeyokai in Eberron? Is there any deal? It's not huge, but I was going to try and be somewhat representative of each setting in case they head back there.

Heads up- hengeyokai have no support officially. As in literally there is not a single thing. You can make up your own or just ignore it, but if you have 3 it might be worth coming up with your own stuff.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Echophonic posted:

We've done 10/tier for minions and it works just fine. They're two-hit for some of the party, but one hit for the strikers or anyone who has a damage buff (which is everyone because I'm a Runepriest :getin: ).

Conveniently enough, we're at the point where I have to roll a 1 on Chaos Bolt hop damage to not instant-kill minions now, which led to me wiping out a full half of a dozen-angel-army in our last session on the opening turn.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

IPlayVideoGames posted:

I'm looking into running the Scales of War adventures, and was wondering for anyone who DM'd it if there's anything I should be aware of. Are there any adjustments that would help? Certain fights too big of a slog or something like that? How good of an adventure series would you consider it?

Alternately, if you think there's a better adventure series to run, I'm open to suggestions. I'd like something that started close to level 1, though.

I'm in a group running that. Our DM said he's using some kind of wiki for it? The wiki had a lot of guidance for the first half or so, but tapered off as we went deeper in.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Genasi became maybe one of the best melee striker races period following the creation of a single real stupid item. If you're using a heavy blade, Genasi will probably do ridiculous things to your damage.
Which item is that?

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

No Luck Needed posted:

I am not playing a low magic 4e game. What I am trying to do is reward players for the time, ideas, and interactions. If the player has a reason to miss, then I would be fine with pepper in more XP or more loot. But if that player misses because they were doing well in a ranked League of Legends game or would rather keep playing MTG then to break off for 3 hours of D&D then I do not need to reward those players. They are reward themselves in other avenues. If the ranger just shows up more, comes up with great ideas, and has fun roleplaying then their reward should be higher levels, more loot, and a great sense of accomplishment. If you have to carrot and stick people into playing D&D 4e, then don't play it.
:psyduck: I... That... What?

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Gharbad the Weak posted:

There's a guy recruiting for the 4e Zeitgeist 1-30 campaign in Trad Games right now. It'll use Fantasy Grounds with some PbP elements between sessions, showing what you're doing in downtime and such. Live dialogue will be in text, which is... weird? I've never done that.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3826376

Apparently this guy has run it before, so he knows what he's getting into. He also says that Goons Get Preference, but he is posting on a few forums if he can't get enough players here.

I'm hoping people show up, I've wanted to try the Resourceful Magician bard for a while, and that would mean playing a game that lasts longer than 2 sessions.

That's... actually a good time for me? And I've been wanting to get back into SOMEthing since my group disbanded, not to mention I had an idea laying around from our unstarted Zeitgeist campaign. I should submit something.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Okay, so here's a really weird question that probably doesn't come up often: Anyone know of any feats to buff or improve the Total Defense action?

Long version:
I'm going to be playing an Assault Swordmage in a Zeitgeist game, with the plan to eventually take the Zeitgeist custom Paragon Path Polyhistor. You can grab the full writeup here, but the important bits are that
1: You start each encounter with some number of "martial dice" that you can spend to make basic attacks into bursts on your turn, or other stance-specific actions (like, say, roll and add them as raw damage to basic attacks, or to grab and then inflict conditions on targets of your basic attacks).
2: "If you spend a standard action on total defense, you add three additional martial dice to your pool as long as an enemy is actively engaged in combat within 10 squares of you."

As an Assault Swordmage, I'll be making a lot of MBAs as mark punishment. So I'll be able to do things like
Close Stance -> Aegis -> run away -> Mark punishment -> free grab with empty hand -> on my turn, apply Dazed
This will eat up dice pretty quickly, but should lead to some fun shenanigans. So I'll be wanting to get extra dice through that Total Defense action. This also works into my Assault Swordmage's features, because I can Aegis a target, then Total Defense, so the monsters have the choice of either attacking a defended target or attacking an undefended target which will trigger my mark punishment just after I've gained 3 extra dice to crush them with.

So I'm looking to see if there's any feats to make Total Defense even beefier/more appealing. It feels like one of those things that there should be some ways to boost that nobody would ever take normally, but which actually make sense in this weird edge case I've found.
Genasi Cindersoul, if that helps any, too.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Ooh, that's exactly the sort of thing I figured might be out there, thank you! I still have a ways to go before this gimmick will come online, but Watchful Redoubt's untyped bonus in particular sounds very useful if I end up doing this often.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Spiteski posted:

This is a good post and I'll definitely look at the two feats you mentioned, and whatever a rebreather is, but I was more meaning in relation to gradenko and his proficiency stuff which looks like it bakes in those math fix feats

Rebreather is a specific combination of feats and I think a theme that lets a Dragonborn sorcerer pretty much get infinite uses of Dragon Breath. The issue isn't the feats themselves, it's when they're combined in that manner. I think we discussed the shenanigans with Mark of the Storm in the Discord last week, if you want to know more about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Moriatti posted:

(with all the Zelda races added in.)
What is this now?