Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
If they're only missing a leader there's the option of DMPCing a pacifist cleric with all the personality of a wooden pole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Warlocks are based around using your force of will to wrest power, or using your body as a direct conduit heedless of the side effects. There's also a bit of quick thinking there, outwitting them and getting more than you're putting in. Warlocks think (or hope) that they can eventually progress to the point where their previous bargain will no longer hold.

Clerics are about actual resolute faith and worship, knowing that your god is the most important and powerful thing in your life and being okay with that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

As long as they were only shifting 1 square, neither would provoke an attack. If they were explicitly moving, then if they moved to A and then kept moving they'd provoke 2 attacks for leaving 2 threatened squares (Though I'm not sure if there are any creatures that can take more than one opportunity action a round)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Myriad Truths posted:

Okay, totally unrelated question but this has been bothering me for ages and I was wondering what people's opinions are.

The Warlock feat Vestige Adept reads: "When your vestige pact boon is triggered, as a free action you can choose to change your active vestige to any other vestige that has been an active vestige for you since your last short rest or extended rest."

There are a number of Vestige dailies, which grant you vestiges on an encounter basis.

So the question is, does this feat give you access to those dailies in later encounters, allowing you to fire off a vestige daily in your first encounter of the day and potentially have access to it for the rest of the day? I saw people on the CharOp forums swear that it does not. My reading is that that text equates to "has either been an active vestige for you since your last short rest or has been an active vestige for you since your last extended rest". Since these dailies qualify under the latter half of that statement, they qualify.

If they do qualify, it seems to me like this feat is quite strong, comparable to the epic-level Vestige Mastery (which just makes a daily vestige of yours into a regular vestige).

I think it's just a poor wording. I think it means "Since your last (Short Rest or Extended Rest)" rather than "Since your last short rest or since your last Extended Rest" because otherwise it would mean novaing all your Vestiges during the last encounter of the day would give you all of your vestiges during your first encounter of the next.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Myriad Truths posted:

There are also a number of classes that just aren't great at their main role to begin with, but can add a lot as hybrids. Warlock seems the shining example there; Warlocks are really unexceptional strikers barring the Hellish Rebuke spamming builds only, but that they're the single most versatile class in the game (and that their lost class features are all easy to recover without taking up Hybrid Talent) makes them exceptional hybrids.

Which is probably most of the reason why Hexblades have never shown up as a Hybrid option. "Yeah sure, here have a really strong 1h weapon as well as the words "Warlock" and "Arcane" attached to your character. Oh armor? Sure here have scale."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

PC minotaurs can also use large weapons and I don't think that hosed anything up.

No they can't?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Definitely. Also, I can tell him to roll 2d4 and add 2 instead of rerolling.

Everyone knows the reason you play a Bugbear is to eventually get a power that uses 5[W] and being able to finally get some use out of that 16d6 chessex set you haven't touched since 3.5.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Myriad Truths posted:

The way that the pact blade works isn't supported at all mechanically. It's not a big deal if you don't look too deep, but the rules get really awkward. The problem is how the pact weapon inherits the properties of the implement used to summon it. The rules aren't equipped to handle powers that are both weapon powers and implement powers. In addition, this allows you to apply enchantments to weapons that really should not have them at all because they were intended for non-weapon implements, which also causes some problems.

I'm not really equipped myself to go into detail, but one thing I remember consistently causing problems is whether a pact weapon functioned with Dual Implement Spellcaster.

As far as the builder is concerned it doesn't, DIS requiers you to have an implement in your main hand and your off, and while the pact weapon uses the abilities of the implement when you're using it it doesn't itself have them for the purposes of using implement powers.

Probably the only real problem I have with the Hexblade is the lack of feat support since drat near every warlock feat plays off of prime shot, cursing, or shadow walk.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yes it does.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

LightWarden posted:

Problem is that if you don't meet the prereq to begin with the PP won't show up on the list of available options. So if you're worshipping Pelor instead of Amaunator, Morninglord won't show up even though you're conceptually identical. While Morninglord and Heartwarder aren't exactly hidden, there are other more esoteric PPs that might fit your character that you might not notice just because you don't have the right fiddly stuff available.

Or when you're worshipping Selune and all the moon diety related feats/pps reference Sehanine?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Sorcerers have a series of blade channeling feats that let you use any power as range melee through a dagger, changing that to a heavy blade doesn't functionally change much.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

A friend of mine was trying to introduce his group to fourth edition and had me roll up one of each of the essentials classes. If memory serves all the strikers were pretty easy to pick up, but that was at level 1. Anything with a baked in damage bonus like the Hexblade, sorcerer, or slayer would probably be good since they don't have to worry about cursing/hunting/CA-ing things.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

fatherdog posted:

You aren't wrong, but Blackguards are actually pretty effective strikers even with neither thanks to Power of Strife.

But don't you have to be a human blackguard to get Ardent Strike?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

STRaladins tend to have a VERY strong secondary in striker, moving into outright primary in places.

I can't help but think that's at least partially intentional, since Divine Challenge and Sanction work off of Cha, and there's only a feat fix for Challenge (unless you're a half orc)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Runepriests get scale armor and light shields, and one of their specs has con as a secondary so getting Plate and heavy shields isn't a problem and it boosts their HP and surges.. They've also got a paragon path that gives an Untyped +4 to all adjacent allies defenses.

And not that they're any good as a defender, but you're wrong about Serene Blades, they get to use their wisdom for their armor class in place of Dex or Int, if you go 18/18 you can wear hide armor and break even.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

That plan breaks down once utilities are considered. "Do you want to be able to heal later or would you like to deal damage now" usually isn't a very interesting choice and it's one that can have severe ramifications if they get it wrong.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AXE COP posted:

There is a legitimate build where you can substitute Acrobatics for Athletics and then Athletics for Strength checks, meaning you can bust through a wall by simply backflipping at it hard enough.

Like that one 3.5 prestige class that let you substitute any skill for any other skill (Within reason). If you had a DM that ignored that final bit that meant you could Intimidate ropes into tying themselves.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Oh yeah, I know that one (see Arseplomancer...). I was just confused because I only heard that particular trick for Diplomacy, via Exemplar ability. Is there some way to substitute other skills that way? Like using Intimidate for Use Rope, as suggested above?

I've been searching, but half of the old Wizard 3.5 CharOp topics haven't survived the journey to the archives, so I haven't found anything so far...

It might have been a third party thing but I distinctly remember some rule that let you substitute skills for other skills and it was only the "use common sense" rule that kept it from being magically abusable.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I love Gamma World just for the novelty of the randomly generated characters. "Why yes I am a demon robot, what of it?"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Wahad posted:

Or, as the case may be, you teleport a friendly barbarian up above a flying enemy and let him charge-fall into the creature to kill it with a mighty blow! :black101:

That reminds me of another thing that bothers me. RAW if you prone a flying target they instantly teleport to the ground. Which seems incredibly dumb. "Oh hey the enemy is flying over a chasm, well they're dead now."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mendrian posted:

I think the shrouds-as-separate-damage instance is dumb if only because it requires you to optimize the assassin in a very narrow and specific (and unintuitive) way. Like usually I come to a board like this to answer a question about whether a character class is poo poo based on some poor noob who wants to play one in my game and I'm not going to hand him a binder full of acceptable options that narrowly work within the confines of an ambiguous ruling.

Houseruling the assassin is both easier and more fun.

Executioner just gives them a flat damage bonus on all weapon attacks, and they're still an assasin. They're just missing the fun shadowy things.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It depends, do you want to abuse strict wording of the rules by making a human blackguard who's only stat that matters is charisma with near infinite temporary hit points? If so it's boring but pretty okay.

Do you actually want to play them as designed? If so they're not great.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

If you worship that one dead death god you can also take a prestige path that makes it into radiant/necrotic/cold and gives you a scythe that hits for almost as hard as a fullblade.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Orokos does too. 2d6r2 will reroll anything lower than a 2. 3d6r2k2 will roll 3 dice, rerolling 2s and lowers, and only keep the 2 highest dice.
http://orokos.com/roll/?action=dicehelp

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm trying to come up with a fun solo for the final fight of the current campaign that won't be completely invalidated by the party's two controllers. Is there any precedence for a creature with multiple minds in a single body? I'm pretty sure that would work out fine for dazing/stunning (you could stun the mage brain but leave the fighter brain unimpaired) but I'm not sure how that would work with marks. Has anyone done anything similar?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Calastryx just has all marks/dazes/stuns flat out end at the end of each of it's individual turns. Though there's another version which has the clunkier "each head is marked separately but one daze effects everything"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

You can make a servicable strikery paladin by taking ardent vow, blackguard dalies, and picking one of the prestige paths that focus on damage. But even then you're relying on your mark to give you damage boosts and you'll be taking more damage than a regular paladin would.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

BattleCake posted:

I guess I should assume that the essentials classes are their own thing because essentials is sort of meant to be a simplified, stand alone version of 4e, is that correct? Also, can a standard Fighter built from the PHB rules utilize any knight powers, etc. from the essentials books?

If a power has a level, then it's avaliable to the other versions of the class at that level. If it doesn't have a level then it's unavailable except in rare occasions when there might be a feat.

Some of the classes are more tightly integrated with their base versions than others. Hexblade gets warlock utilities and dalies. Mage basically gets everything. Slayer gets utilities? I think?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

P.d0t posted:

Yeah this is kinda where I'm at with it, too.
Aside from minor variations on the ones you've posted, I'm known to use:
17/14/13/12/10/8

I guess what I was actually angling at was, is "Don't put an 8 in CON, DEX, or WIS," a rule other people generally abide by? Cuz I do.

If you're Cha Primary and your group already has a perceptbot, wisdom's an attractive dump stat. Dex and Con have important things that key off of them (Dex-->Initiative and some feats, Con-->HP) So while you can keep them low, I don't think you can get away with them being sub-10.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

djw175 posted:

Wisdom's also an attractive dump stat if you're planning on taking that one paragon path that lets you replace perception and insight with Charisma. Although I think that requires tiefling so at that point Dexterity is also a decent dump stat because of the feat that makes initiative key off of Charisma.

There's a sorcerer feat that lets you use arcana for perception checks, but since your int score is probably only slightly higher than your dex as a Sorcerer it just becomes flavorful but pointless.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I actually legitimately enjoyed some of the essentials classes because they were interesting from a flavor perspective. Mainly the Hexblade, Sentinel Druid, and the Warpriest Cleric. The Slayer, Scout, Thief, and Hunter were just bizarre. In exchange for not being able to make any choices as you level up you instead have to make a bunch of really tiny choices that don't matter much every round. And they didn't pass the flavor test like the previous three classes did "Dude who can sometimes hit things harder than other times" isn't nearly as interesting as "Dude who tricked the stars into giving him a sword" or "Man who wades into battle with his pet bear to heal people". The mage wasn't needed though. It's easier to understand and more powerful than the base Wizard without giving up any of it's utility.

The hardcover Heroes Of books (Shadow, feywild, and Elemental Chaos) did better, probably because they weren't dealing with the dreaded martial classes, but they were still really wizard heavy(Introducing two more versions!) and had the Binder.

The primary sin of the Essentials books though was making everything key off of MBAs, allowing for ridiculous rules abuse if you were able to half-elf, human, or feat an at-will into an MBA.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

fatherdog posted:

What are some examples here, because I've yet to find anything that does crunchy tactical combat anywhere near as well as 4e, and the only suggestion I've heard when I've asked for something before is WHFRP, which costs like $200 for the basic set.

WHFRPG is basically the FFGiest of FFG's rpgs. It sort of has powers that you can expend like 4e does, but it lacks any kind of role definition on the scale of CLDS. It also has EOTE's dice but instead of character sheets it uses cardboard punch outs and class decks like that one World of Warcraft board game that I've only played twice because it takes 4 hours to set up and a table about three times larger than any I own.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Echophonic posted:

It really speaks to the culture at Wizards (and how little they and Hasbro think of D&D) that Mearls was immediately allowed to start a new flagship project after basically killing an entire product line. I mean, I guess that's how the world works, but normally you have to obfusicate that poo poo somehow.
They probably just saw it as the edition reaching it's EOL. It lasted longer than 3.5 did, at least. And remember 3.5 had some of it's best books towards the end of it's run.

The last crunchbook for 4e, however, was the Neverwinter book which was designed as a tiein to the MMO. It includes a bunch of new Warpriest domains(which are good) and the Bladesinger which is yet another wizard but is designed in such a way where it's very weak if you play by the rules, but broken if you can figure out a way to char-op out of the intentional drawbacks of the class.

I hope that some of the latest stupidity from 5e manages to actually blow back onto him, cause his caster supremacy poo poo is getting kind of ridiculous.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I'm curious as to how the Bladesinger could be broken.

edit: I mean broken in a way other than "really bad"

Get multiattacks, a way to get a full dex damage MBA so you can ignore intelligence entirely, and figure out a way to regain bladedance every combat.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Is there a build or anything?

Here's some of the builds. Most of the ways you can get extra uses don't kick in until epic unless you abuse magic item creation rules to make yourself an infinite number of wands.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Class is just what you can do. Your backstory should explain why you can do it.

Maybe it's not a generic rogue school sneak attack. Maybe it's your family's long kept secret double dagger technique that you only use when no one is able to see.

The warlock in particular doesn't lead itself very well to "class as vocation" based thinking. The pact is a very personal event, and the hows and whats of shadow walk and warlocks curse were left intentionally vague.

I usually enjoy my character more when I come up with a concept first and then figure out what kind of character I can make to fit that concept.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The baseline hexblade pacts are pretty terrible. White well and star are better, and Elemental's good if you're in a weakness exploiting party.

They aren't the best striker though, sadly.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It helps that the Son of Mercy is basically "Strength Paladins please apply within"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

P.d0t posted:

I traded a Blackguard for a STRaladin in paragon, and it was basically the same thing but with more fun and full AEDU.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Yeah, the blackguards are just not as versatile as a regular paladin focused on damage. And even then they don't do that much unless they ignore their own intended mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

LightWarden posted:

Divine Power had a pretty nice section with various codes and motivations for your divine characters based on deities. My two favorites were Corellon and Sehanine.

Sehanine had some fun powers too, including one that lets you attack at range by hurling a moon shaped crescent of energy by slashing your sword.