Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I played an animate suit of armor that once belonged to a paladin that died slaying an ancient dragon, and lain unmoving, staring at a pile of gold for untold centuries, until all sense and memory had been lost.

Plot twist was it wasn't the Paladin's spirit animating the armor, it was the Dragon's, but it had spent so long thinking it was the Paladin (and therefore "good") it wasn't really inclined to go on any angry rampages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Sure, go ahead.

I ran it as a shardmind so I could "embed" the armor and I think I took the epic destiny that turns you into a dragon.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dick Burglar posted:

The Dark Sun one, or is there another one?

There's another one, Avangion just gives you dragon wings made out of light. The one I'm thinking of gives you a daily power that lets you turn into a great wyrm for the rest of that combat.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Implements are whatever your reskinned casters need to do their work. For a sorcerer that could be their grenade launcher.

Also: Warforged and Shardminds are robots and can embed implements as integrated components.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Free Triangle posted:

I've always felt that crits in 4e were weaker than their 3x 5e cousins?

4e crits are on the average stronger, but 3.5 crits have the potential to do more theoretically. A 3x or 4x weapon in 3.5 is roughly equated to a "high crit" weapon.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Disrespecting marks sometimes is fun and interesting for the Defender.

Disrespecting marks all of the time makes the defender feel pointless.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Runepriest was fun for the brief time I was playing one.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

They should have just made a 4E version of the Tome of Magic Binder instead. :(

It would have been pretty easy to make interesting, too: have an Encounter class feature that lets you manifest your Vestige for a minor benefit, then make a list of Vestiges that each have an Encounter and Daily power that you get access to at the normal levels, and have the class learn more Vestiges at levels 3, 7, 13, etc.

4E powers are already pretty clearly silo'd per build, so you'd just be essentially making a class that chooses packages of Encounter+Daily powers instead of choosing them individually, with the gimmick being that you can swap to a different Encounter+Daily for each encounter by manifesting a different Vestige.

They.. sort of have that. Vestige pact warlock. All your dailies are vestiges that give your at will power a new rider and give you a new pact boon.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

*Screeches at the mention of a Psion*

Noooo. The slayer of DMs. It burns us.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Moriatti posted:

Is there no way to build around this? I figure with 6 PCs all solo encounters are gonna suck, is disenhearten really that bad vs An enemy group?

Yeah, given we start at 5:30ish and the store closes 9 so I'm figuring 1 combat per night.
At least 2 of the players have demanding schedules though so I suspect we'll average 4-5 players a night.

Any enemy hit by Dishearten will almost certainly never hit. Giving them enough adjusted attack power to have a 50% chance to hit through dishearten would make them hit almost 100% of the time outside of Dishearten. And the Psion doesn't need to spend powerpoints on dishearten the entire fight, just long enough to clear out the chaff and let the defender lock down the elites.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

I am speaking from experience here. I had a high-Paragon campaign where a Dishearten-spamming Psion just made the game unfun.

Same, he might as well have not had the other At wills, he never used them.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

LightWarden posted:

Over on Humble Bundle they're doing IDW's Dungeons & Dragons comics, including every volume of the 4e D&D comic for just $1. They're excellent, and writer John Rogers was also the one who the Feywild section in the Manual of the Planes.

Yessssssss.

Thank you for letting me know. I've been trying to find the fells five stuff for a while now.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, the elementalist is essentials but it's actually not that bad, particularly if your group has a way of granting RBAs.

There's an elemental monk in the essentials book too.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

This is the 5e thread.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647634

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm pretty certain they could just barely keep him from naming the Essentials classes Proper Wizard and Fighter As He's Supposed To Be, or the whole line It's Your Dungeons & Dragons Again.

Deity and Meatwall

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

It always makes me smile because it reminds me that Mearls well and truly became angry at 4e. At some point, the game's sheer existence made him actually upset - and he helped make it in the first place.

Which is weird when you look at all those articles he wrote at the start of 4e's development where he talked about how class and race balance was important.

It's like at some point around the time he got put in charge as the sole developer he got a bowling ball dropped on his head and DARE YOU ENTER MY MAGICAL REALM!?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The Crotch posted:

I had a player play a runelord for as a temporary character for a vignette once. He figured out pretty early on that the different rune states gimmick didn't really help much and he was better sticking with Rune of Destruction 95% of the time.

"Not early enough for Divine Power" is way too late, unfortunately.

There were a few Dragon Magazine articles that gave it some more options, which is more than you can say for the Seeker. But yes. It came out after Divine Power so WELP.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Prism posted:

You laugh, but the game I'm running has an extinct culture that was high tech rather than magic, so I have turned a couple 'big monsters' into robots and prepared some tech items like a holography system (hat of disguise) for players to pick up from their ruins.

May I introduce you to the living construct subtype?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Then there's the Mark of making which is basically just the Item Creation Feats except you don't have to take 3 of them.

and the Mark of Handling which is step 1 of 2 in "Making Beast Mastery Rangers Not Suck."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The Crotch posted:

Is step two "delete your character and play a hybrid sentinel or fey beast tamer"?

Step 2 is the mark of Handling paragon path that gives you a hyppogryph as a pet/mount.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

yeah. the 3.5 books had some really neat dragonshard items that probably wouldn't exist in other games just because the mechanics of dragonshards opened up interesting design space.

Like a whip made out of water because it's a bound water elemental with a dragonshard stuck in it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

WotC abandoning Eberron is half of what makes me like 4e more than 5e. 4e is also better in almost every mechanical respect but the Eberron thing is just infuriating. Eberron is the coolest thing that D&D has.

They brought eberron back, and also gave us a settingbook for Ravnica, which is softening me to 5e somewhat, though I still pine for 4e.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

and one of the unearthed arcanas had a <TOTALLY NOT PSIONICS BUT ACTUALLY PSIONICS> class but I don't think it went above level 10.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

So what are the specific problems with the hexblade?

(And can you still take that feat or whatever it was that just lets a warlock take a hexblade pact?)

No they removed the feat because the awesome summoned sword is the best part about the hexblade. Same reason they never made a hybrid hexblade.

The main problem is that it's just boring. You only have two attacks and then your dalies. You can't adapt to situations, you're just kind of there. You're oozing flavor, but you're just there.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

aegof posted:

Add Bladesinger to the list, the class that gets Wizard encounter powers as daily powers.

And basically embraces and requires the optimization of a nova round.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm fond of Shielding swordmages because of the time I reflavored a Warforged Shielding Swordmage as Pepsiman in an XCrawl campaign....

.....that lasted all of one combat before it burst into toxic black flames because the DM wanted to run things TOTM and it was functionally impossible to be a defender(or indeed do much of anything, I was not the only person who wasn't happy)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Moriatti posted:

Did anyone figure out how yo make Beastmaster Ranger good, or at least functional at low level?
Gonna run a one shot for some coworkers and I know having a pet wolf would gain a lot of buy in for one of them.

I believe consensus was "Play something else with the Fey Beast Tamer(I think that's the name at least)". Alternately the essentials druid is a leader with a pet and they're balanced around it better.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Gort posted:

What's so bad about the Beastmaster ranger? Would it be easier just to give them 5 extra damage on each hit or something?

They have to use their actions to command their pet, and that doesn't really work with 4e's very tight action economy.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Vampires were a really cool idea that suffered from being abandoned immediately after being born, because they definitely could've used a couple more paragon paths / options. A de-Essentialized vampire would be rad as gently caress.

Same with Runepriests. Super awesome but since they came out post Divine Power and immediately before Essentials I think they got a single Dragon magazine article with some new class options for them.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

reminds me of the dual-stat Wis/Cha classes that just get turboshafted by the game's mechanics.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The heroes of shadow book is garbage, but the elemental chaos and feywild book has some legit good poo poo in it.

As far as the baseline essentials classes, the essentials cleric, druid(I think?), and wizard are fine enough, in the sense that you make one decision that decides your progression from then onward. You still at least have full AEUDs, unlike the other classes.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Namagem posted:

Just be aware that with everything, some classes very clearly got exponentially more love than others. A player making a PHB1 class character with all supplements will have way way way more options than a player making a phb3 class character. It doesn't break the balance, the former aren't godlike and the latter can still contribute, it's just worth considering.

Pour one out for the Runepriest.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

That said, the actual gulf between a "good" and "bad" character is much narrower than in other editions

Counterpoint: Binder.

I do miss all the really weird poo poo that was in Dragon magazine and other Insider stuff. like the paladin encounter power that gave you sword beams so long as you worshipped one specific moon god and were using a greatsword.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Part of the problem is that if the casters don't have anything to do then the adventuring day just.. stops, so you can rest and allow the casters to do things again.

Unless the DM forces things to continue long past that point so the martials have a chance to 'shine' by basic attacking until the heat death of the universe.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Also if you have any psions put their character sheets through the shredder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Heroes of the Feywild and Heroes of the Elemental chaos are both good books. Heroes of Shadows is very iffy.