Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Expertise will be the big difference.

Let me know how it goes - I would be reluctant to cut them, no matter how much I hate them, because so many pseudo-class-features are wrapped up in them, and they can elevate some subclasses (like Str clerics) to par.

But I sympathize, and would love to hear how it works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
1. Teleports can do wonders. Try them as reactions.

2. Set conditions on the battle. Like, you need to bust up or skill roll at things on various parts of the map.

3. Waves. Bring more monsters in over time.

4. Mark areas of the map that'll do bad things at the end of a given round.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Transient People posted:

I object to the idea of the controller role being pointless because there's a meaningful difference between 'capable of limiting how many actions enemies take, and how effectively', and 'capable of determining enemy targeting and positioning'. These things require different tools with different impacts, and I don't think the game is better for just lumping them together in a bucket. There's good and strong role differentiation there. WotC's designers just weren't always very good at showcasing it, is all.
The argument is more that controllers are the anti-fun. They make the game slower, less dangerous, and just altogether more boring.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Transient People posted:

The answer to this is to make the fights so dangerous at baseline that you need control, which is how countless games have solved this issue. Assume a percentage of monsters is going to get shut down, then go from there. It really isn't a complicated concept to solve. You have to shut down X amount of mobs, then reroute and contain Y amount, and then kill a chunk of the remainder to not lose. There's no real difficulty to understanding this paradigm, or even mathing it out so it can be consistently applied. The only difficulty with it is that it's a challenge-gamer setup, which makes fights where clean play isn't needed kinda boring.
That's an illustration of the issue, not a solution for it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Week 1 - Narrative RPG
Week 2 - Gloomhaven

Repeat

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh good. I'm glad you were able to rescue Keep on the Shadowfell.

Yeah the HPE series showcases why XP progression is bad, IMO.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Gort posted:

Huh, that H1-E3 Orcus Conversion thing (here) looks pretty rad, looks like they've cut out a lot of pointless encounters in there. I remember my main problem with the original adventure paths being the enormous acres of combat encounters that separated each plot beat. It really made me think that the people writing the adventures hadn't played much actual 4th ed, and thought that a room with five orcs in it would just be like, "OK, we fireball them, what's in the barrels at the back?" instead of the quarter-hour tactical combat that is your average 4e encounter.
drat, now I want to break out 4e again and run this.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I really only use them when it's necessary mid-battle. It's great to give players a thing to skill-check at while also fighting.

Like 'take down magical wards in a few places so you can actually beat up on that sorcerer'

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I used the Alea Tools magnetic disks but honestly the soda rings were preferable 9 times out of 10.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

My Lovely Horse posted:

In all the years of 4E analyzing and homebrewing, has there been a good way to balance a single encounter out for a fully rested party so it's fun and can't be solved by brute forcing it with three rounds of Daily powers? Not sure if a Lair Assault is going to fit the scenario.
1. A decoy
2. Conditions that need to be met before Big Bad can be engaged on the field
3. Add in an encounter or two beforehand.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

One Legged Ninja posted:

You should probably join the 4e discord and check out the resources channel. And here's the...

Edit: oops, I forgot that has the libraries in it. Well, you can find Masterplan at GitHub, but I'm not linking :filez:
I don't think this qualifies as filez?

Regardless Holy poo poo!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Thanks!

Yeah, it's not as if you can subscribe to any of this poo poo anymore or give anyone money for it.

I can't believe Masterplan is still ... like ... around. Goddamn that was amazing for running the game.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Rosalie_A posted:

I'm starting Zeitgeist because dammit my friends and I are gonna do at least one 1-30 in our life. Any advice on running it past "ACAB accept the premise" and "the naval rules are trash"?
Later down the road, even though the opponents are extremely well-designed, you will still need to adapt to the crazy bullshit your players can pull. So, expect that.

But yeah the naval combat is garbo.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I think using this brilliant design posted yesterday for naval combat is a must.

https://old.reddit.com/r/battlemaps/comments/vlc0eg/ship_vessel_night_46x28_ship_pirate_naval/

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
X-Files and Twin Peaks.

Oh and some Star Wars too. I never did notice the uh... uncanny theme of the names of the Jierre family when reading it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Sage Genesis posted:

What?

Oh!
Oh good. I wasn't the only one.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

In It For The Tank posted:

I'm looking at making custom creatures using the MM3 math. How do attacks with rider effects (like conditions) influence the damage calculation? Obviously, not all conditions are equal (e.g. being knocked prone isn't as bad as being stunned or dominated) so I don't expect it to be as straightforward as the "business card", but are there any resources that discuss this aspect of creature customization?
There's no hard and fast rules. I'd add it on where appropriate and leave damage alone if you are running for anything but very low level players. And use Stun/Dominate extremely sparingly except in high paragon or epic tier when your players should be expected to have counters for it.

Ongoing damage is the exception. It counts usually as 1.5x its value, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Heya! I don't know if it's a goon trying to get the old WotC board 4e charops or someone else, but I guess the link broke?

Here you go.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9qwm-rNX9YEMThmN3FrOHE1Skk?resourcekey=0-FsQ1IKsDSQiu52382BfKsg