Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Well, I think you are supposed to make up your lore for it. But it doesn't have to be a Faustian bargain.

Let's say an evil wizard summoned the demon and forces it to wreak havoc in the countryside.
'Puny mortal, want to save the peasants? Get me the wizard's MacGuffin so I can return to my home plane and I'll even give you power to defeat him and his band of brigands.'
Even a 'good' character can agree to that, though that might be stretching it a bit.

As to why not just become a Cleric? Well, because that'd be a different character concept. :v:
I like Eberron's take: anyone can sign up to an order or something (well, anyone that can handle the rigors of ecclesiastical life), but very few have the strong faith or whatever necessary to manifest divine magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Do you count saving throws given with powers for 'Failed Saving Throw' effects? E.g. can a Cleric actually make someone hit by a basilisk turn into stone faster?

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Ok, thanks for the help.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
There's also the problem with Pixie Hexblades that RAW they have to waste an action to shrink their pact weapon down to size, but other than that :shrug:.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
So WotC has put most of the D&D Encounters Seasons up to their pdf store.

Does anyone have some recollections of them? Which ones were particularly memorable? Or at least playable?

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Thanks for the input, I'm chiefly interested in how the 4e era Encounters fared.

I don't really mind the babby's first D&D thing (in fact, beginner-friendly adventures would be a plus).
If they have some memorable fights, interesting regions to visit (underwater, Feywild, whatever) and a few minutes of exposition worth of good backstory I'm good, railroading be damned.

Mostly I'm just after some good adventures from the 4e crop, I guess. Hard to accept that all the good stuff has already been listed in the op. :negative:

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Okay, thanks, that's too bad.

I'm considering MiBG, but I was led to believe that it's more of a loose, free-form scenario that does not really play into 4e's strengths (i.e. a tactical, more balanced combat system for challenging, cinematic encounters). For city intrigue, I might as well ditch D&D and play the scenario in a system better suited for improv, investigation and social challenges.

Or better yet, port some old adventure to 4e and get on with the crunchy dungeon crawls. Speaking of which, a couple of adventures in the Dungeon Crawl Classics line were made for 4e. How fantastic/terrible were those?
(Yeah, I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel for pre-made materials.)

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
They kinda-sorta recreated most of the MM1 monsters in Monster Vault, though. Like, if you need a skirmisher for your Kobold lair, MM1 has a literal Kobold Skirmisher in it, but you'd probably be better off with using Kobold Quickblade, another 1st level skirmisher with updated math.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
1. It's a 3rd party AP published through DriveThruRPG, you can check out the Player's Guide for free here.

2. IIRC that was a followup post to the original 'business card' post.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

wallawallawingwang posted:

the updated page 42 numbers
Wait, where are these? I know Essentials gave us some updated damage numbers, but they oversimplified it a bit by getting rid of the normal/limited damage split and the low/medium/high brackets.
Is there an online errata for the old guidelines somewhere?

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Nice, thank you.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
What are those? I have only read Heroes of the Feywild and found it quite good (though I'm a sucker for fairy stuff). Anything else worth getting from the Essentials era?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
That's basically what many crpgs did, banned/restricted a lot of the problem spells and made people play blaster wizards.

I think they may have influenced many players' thinking.