Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Madmarker posted:

Hell my last Warforged Slayer was a Redneck Gnome in power armor, that had flames painted on the legs. It was glorious.

I was partial to a Warforged Warden relying on lightning powers. Was he just some old, malfunctioning robot, or was he something more? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Ooh, I want in on the 4E improvement train. Turnips#7054 on Discord.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I know monster math has been pretty thoroughly solved for 4E. Where can I find good trap math in a similar vein?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Huh, literally that easy? Sounds good to me!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Is that just "use post MM3 monsters", or that along with "half HP and 1.5 times damage" or something?

Further halving HP and upping damage seems a little extreme personally, but I've heard people favor both. With how much high level 4E drags, though, I might start at post MM3 and switch around late Paragon.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
The wizard needed a super special sparkly archetype of its own, and if they just had DPS, Tank, and Healer you'd get even more frothing at the mouth about the WoW holy trinity

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

kaynorr posted:

To me this would be something like:

1. In less than eight hours something bad is going to happen. If the players don't even attempt to stop it (aka the climactic encounter) then something even worse happens.
2. Sketch out at least three encounters beforehand which thematically and mechanically build towards the climactic encounter.
3. Each encounter should have:
3a. The opportunity to use skills beforehand to gain a superior starting condition, or mitigate a really terrible starting condition.
3b. Terrain features
3c. A varied mix of opposition, some of whom will reappear in the climactic encounter (or least abilities are repeated if not actual foe types)
3d. A starting action advantage towards the opposition, exact ratio varies by party optimization / tier
3e. The opportunity to use skills during to mitigate traps/terrain features/gain an advantage
3f. An alternate (or optional additional) victory condition beyond clearing the field of opposition
4. After the encounter, there should be a choice to make after that has consequences for later encounters / after the day

This guide is amazing, and I am definitely taking notes on it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Subjunctive posted:

X-post in the GM advice thread!

Hell, if there's a game design megathread you could probably X-post it there, too. Its one thing to consider that on the DM level for currently existing systems, but seeing that process through a systematic lens can be super helpful in its own right.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I've been thinking of getting into the groove of 4e DMing again, and I've been eyeing Monster Manual on a Business Card as a result. But looking at it gives me a few questions for custom monster design.

A) I imagine if I shuffle around NADs proportionally, they should even out (ex, give a quick but frail monster 1 less Fort for 1 more Ref). But how would AC fall into this? Since attacks on AC are more common than ones on NADs, should it be "weighted" more? (1 less AC, 2 more Will, for example). Or should I keep it 1 to 1?

B) Similarly, if I wanted to decrease AC but increase HP proportionally, or vice-versa, how would I best calculate that? 1 less AC = 1 more hit point per level, a la the Brute formula? Or should it be something different?

C) Should attacks that inflict a condition inflict the listed average damage, or should they deal less, similarly to how multi-target attacks function?

D) How many unique quirks should each monsters have? I know each monster should probably have a basic attack, an ability suited to their role, and a unique quirk to the "species" of monster they are (a la all goblins having Goblin Tactics), but how much more should be added from there? How many abilities should Elites and Solos get? Should Minor actions and Reactions/Interrupts be common or rare?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
That sounds about right. Sort of like how the MM Goblin skirmisher gets Goblin Tactics for its goblin-ness and Great Position for being a skirmisher.

As for the other questions, those all make sense. I can definitely get the value of not futzing with HP and armor too much.

e: Do the skill rolls feel a little skewed to everyone else? Looking at level 1 atm, but DC 8 feels so trivial it doesn't even feel worth rolling, and DC 12 feels pretty easy (especially if you're specialized in a skill through race, class, and stat.) Then DC 19 just feels brutal by comparison for anything but the specialized character. I added a DC 16 as an in between difficulty and nudged the hard DC up to 20 to compensate, but I keep waffling as to whether it's a good idea or not. Does skill use end up more balanced in practice than in theory?

The Bee fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 31, 2019

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Gort posted:

It definitely bugs my players to increase all their skill levels by 1 every couple of levels. It might've been better to just have static skill DCs all along.

This is another sign pointing to 4E benefitting from the virtual tabletop that never was, tbh. This kinda thing sounds agonizing on paper but way more convenient and useful if digitized.

I ended up leaving the DCs mostly identical, just adding in a middle of the road between Medium and Hard. No sense messing with things too much, after all.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
IMO it was a triple whammy. The surface level changes got the grogs up in arms. The PHB reading dryly, while good for game design, scared off anyone on the fence. And if you're still hanging in there, the busted math and awful first adventures got you wondering if maybe you break your old books back out, or look into this Pathfinder everyone's hyping up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Iunnrais posted:

On the subject of interesting potions: one homebrew potion / grenade I got a lot of good use out of was a combo. One grenade creates a damaging zone that lasts a couple rounds or until the end of the encounter. Another grenade does nothing on its own, but acts as an accelerant to existing zones on the ground-- add xdy+z damage to any damaging zone it overlaps with. It's a simple idea, and you might think that it's basically the same as two different damaging grenades... and yet my players fell in love with the things, couldn't get enough of 'em.

Two damaging grenades is two sources of damage. A danger zone and an accelerant is a combo that makes you feel smart, and can also come up in unexpected ways.