Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I'm going to throw a shameless plug for my Gamma World thread and request that it be added to the OP.

Looks great, by the way.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The gamma world rules for guns graft easily onto 4e, and making them encounter based is as easy as waving your hand. They've got increased range and are a bit more powerful than standard ranged weapons, but the GW rules for ammo (which basically made them 1/encounter anyway) made them less attractive to ranged players anyway.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Gamma World is designed for one-off campaigns. It takes the 4E ability score math down to its basic component (you have an 18 and a 14 and nothing else matters) and then randomly assigns you two wacky mutant archetypes that form the entire nucleus of your abilities and combat strategy, usually synergizing well. If you die, you return as something else wacky. Once you learn the basics you can roll a new guy in ten minutes. The pre-packaged modules for it are zany one-offs.

4E could have learned a thing or two from how Gamma World handled itself.

A few quick clarifications here: you start with an 18 in your primary ability and a 16 in your secondary.

The "expansions" aren't really one offs either, they're setting books with new mechanics and a related adventure. It's definitely supposed to be part of a campaign and not a one shot. There's more fluff in those books than any published 4e adventure. Not really sure what separates a GW campaign from a D&D campaign other than a cap at level 10.

That said, if you like 4e, I recommend you get a copy of the base game before they get too hard to find.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Please keep the Gamma World thread alive. I worked hard on that OP.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Crab puns will work if you're in a pinch

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I'd argue that 4e is good because it took the only codified thing in D&D (combat) and made explicit rules about it, then used that framework to build a game. Consequently, there is far less out of combat stuff considered by the rules. If you feel ok flying by the seat of your pants in out of combat scenarios, but want a deeply tactical skirmish game, 4e is for you.

Pathfinder seems to find a lot of traction on the idea that it is customizable, and the ten trillion options support this. There are only a handful of viable, not completely broken builds, but because the lovely options exist, it gives the game depth of field. Like 4e, this game is completely about combat, but for some reason denies this fact. Apparently using feet instead of squares makes this happen.

Pathfinder has a better stable of published adventures, and can always fall back on 3.x stuff. 4e is a more mechanically sound game that suffers from the fact that most of the published adventures suck, and the non combat stuff is thrust upon the DM wholesale.

Mechanically, both are broken. I would venture to say that 4e is less broken than d20 framework. As for which to play... I'd recommend Gamma World.

E: on the GM side of the screen, 4e is so much less work and hassle. Making enemies in 3.pf is like doing your taxes in triplicate. God forbid you think CR actually corresponds to anything.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Beware the feat bloat! Beware the situational modifiers! Bewaaaare!

Really though, all options are fun for D&D categories. If you're looking for something somewhere in the middle of 4e and Dungeon World, 13th Age might also be up your alley.