Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

dwarf74 posted:

Heya! I don't know if it's a goon trying to get the old WotC board 4e charops or someone else, but I guess the link broke?

Here you go.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9qwm-rNX9YEMThmN3FrOHE1Skk?resourcekey=0-FsQ1IKsDSQiu52382BfKsg

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I was pleased to see that ICON has a section in its encounter guidelines for building a single encounter that can take the place of the expected three per rest. I don't think the solution is particularly exciting (double the encounter budget, start with half the total monsters on the map, bring in a quarter at the end of rounds 2 and 3) but the fact that it's in the book means it's being thought about and will be playtested.

Between that and the resolve mechanic for charging up the equivalent of dailies, there will likely be a fair bit worth back-porting into 4E for people dissatisfied with the adventuring day meta structure:

quote:

Resolve and Limit Break
Limit breaks are the most powerful abilities in ICON. Every character unlocks limit break at level 2.
Limit breaks are abilities (with an action cost, etc) that may or may not be attacks, and don’t count against number of abilities taken. All Limit Breaks cost a unique resource, called Resolve, to use, and a character can only limit break once per combat.
Resolve is split into two pools, party and personal resolve. Party Resolve goes up by 1 at the start of each round in combat, and depletes to 0 after combat ends
Personal resolve is gained at a rate of 1 after every combat, and resets to 0 after you camp. You might want to push on instead of resting in order to get the most out of your abilities.
When you spend Resolve to use a limit break, you can use any combination of party or personal resolve, but party resolve is shared between all members of the group, so any use of it must be used with the consent of your your team

If I run 4E again I'm likely just going to use the 13th Age structure where dailies and resources refresh every 4 fights and if the party needs to "rest" before that then the bad guy's plans advance

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Ferrinus posted:

In terms of fight balance hotfixes, I don't think I'd object to monsters unlocking new powers upon getting bloodied and/or to reinforcements flooding in but I'd get mad if, say, I bloodied an enemy after dealing 30 damage and then noticed later that it took me 50 more damage to actually put it down.

So if your DM made a custom monster with a reaction power that gave it temp hp when bloodied, you'd get mad at them?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Ferrinus posted:

I would if it was totally un-narrated such that we had to figure out it was going on once our numbers started failing to line up, in the same way as I would be if the DM just neglected to mention that a troll's wounds were closing before our eyes.

Getting mad at someone for not satisfactorily narrating a monster power seems like an extreme reaction

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Maxwell Lord posted:

Chess isn’t perfectly balanced at all. The player who goes first has a significant advantage.

Same with Go. The number of points given to the player going second has increased I think three times since it was introduced because players keep getting better at exploiting that advantage

Ferrinus posted:

It's playing dirty pool, like not specifying which monsters are minions.

It's possible we just have different ideas of what getting mad means, because that just sounds like grounds for a polite chat

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm thinking about how chess and go are played on square featureless terrain that would make for an extremely boring fight location in 4E

Go sort of creates terrain in play by leaving behind all the remnants of your past battles so now I want to try a 4E fight in a big empty room but it's the classic videogame collapsing floor where the square disappears after you step off it.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

12Apr1961 posted:

I did something like this last session. The PC's were on a boat that got destroyed by the river-dwelling dragon and his pet monsters. The characters started out standing on various planks and assorted flotsam in the middle of the river. As the fight went on, these got destroyed every time the swimming monsters went charging into them. The barbarian ended up charging from one side of the river to another, by jumping onto a dead monster's body floating halfway across, then jumping to the other side.

It's a crime that 4E launched with Keep on the Shadowfell instead of something cool like this

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

For how bad some of the Scales of War modules were, it got the exciting opener right at least. You start in a tavern having a quiet drink, goblins throw molotovs through the windows then when you fight your way outside there's more goblins and an ogre trying to ram-raid houses with a cart full of explosives

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The MCDM RPG sure has a lot of 4e in it.

Healing surges, warlords, unified combat power structure, tactical combat.

I'm going to get my heart broken

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The campaign is doing big money but 20k backers is obviously a much smaller audience for adventures, splat books etc than the audience for his 5E supplements. It will sell more at retail of course but nowhere near D&D numbers. I wonder if the plan is to make future products for both systems, especially since you don't exactly need to be rigorous about balance when making stuff for 5E.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

After doing lots more reading about it and watching all their videos, I think I'm in for the PDFs. I'm in the UK so I'm not going to roll the dice on shipping for the books