Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've been playing in a 4e campaign using Character Builder/CBLoader. I recently bought a new Windows 10 laptop, and I've been having trouble getting CBLoader to work on it. It's not merging the .part files in the "Custom" directory properly, and all I have access to is the stuff from the Oct '10 update and earlier. I've tried running as admin, I've tried running it in Win7 compatibility mode, I've tried deleting the AppData directory for the CBLoader and getting it to try to re-detect the .part files, I've tried it with the "-d" (don't download updates from the Internet) and "-e" (merge .part files every time you run CBLoader) options. I'm running out of ideas. I have a disc image of my old Windows install where the CBLoader still works, but the ideal would be to not have to lug around a separate hard drive and my docking bay just to run the Character Builder once a week.

EDIT: Figured it out. I was using the wrong CBLoader stuff, including a Custom directory that was apparently empty somehow. Had a backup, so I just used the Custom directory from there.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Dec 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, print to PDF sounds like the solution to your problem, one way or the other. You could see about finding a PDF editor and blanking out the text you don't want, then distributing the sheets.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

neonchameleon posted:

One thing I might do if redesigning cards is to add a quick diagram for blasts and bursts so it's easier to remember what the difference between a close blast and a close burst is.
It helps me that they use the same terminology for close and area attacks. An Area Burst 1 is every square adjacent to the center point; a Close Burst 1 is the same, except you're the center point.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

And you use the wrong version of "its" in the Hunter's Vibroblade

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So I assume you're going more for a "hostile arm growing out of PC's chest" possession than a "malevolent spirit assumes control" possession, then?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

First Utility is 2, second Encounter is 3.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

DalaranJ posted:

I just watched a video about non 4e D&D where a person effectively proposed using ‘minions’, and they took what I thought was a surprising stance on it. So, let me ask here, a place which will know a lot about ‘minions’,

When you use minions is it better for the players to know that they only have 1 hit or to obscure that information?

Arrrthritis posted:

If you're not going to tell your players what is and isn't a minion (which you should, because blowing encounters/dailies on minions sucks), the information should be telegraphed in some way (making them uniform in their token/mini design) to give your players some intuition room to figure it out.
My 4e DM doesn't explicitly tell us that something's a minion, but whenever there are a bunch (more than 2 or 3) of a specific monster variety on the field we can reliably assume that they're minions.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think the Essentials books were written in response to all the 3.x grogs whining about how 4e was "too video game-y" because the classes themselves are as much of a backpedal as you can get within the 4e framework. They very much read like a 3.x class ported into 4e as literally as possible.

And from what I understand, though I haven't played any, 5e was a major backpedal towards 3.x, though stuff like the advantage mechanics are new.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, that's largely what I meant, that 5e was right back to Caster Supremacy Edition after 4e managed to give almost every class meaningful options and a way to contribute.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You can also just give your monsters forced movement powers and slide your PCs out of their little cubbies.

Encourage PCs to use forced movement as well by placing hazards and traps they can use to their advantage. Perhaps make them mobile to keep them moving.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Here's Everything. Literally everything.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Namagem posted:

Defender Wizard

Elemental Battlefield Control

Choose Frost Pillar, Flame Ring, or Shock Cage. You gain the corresponding power.

What kind of action is making Shock Cage's retaliation attack? I'd assume Immediate Reaction or Opportunity Action, but you need to state this stuff in the power.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'd just put it as "If the enemy is the target of the unformed doppelganger's Mirror Image power, [...]".

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

If you're looking for serious criticism on those magic items, they're all one of either; half-formed concepts that need fleshing out (ring, circlet of hate), very plot specific (scripture, chipping), or straight-up joke items (dog, cool flower).

You'd need to be more specific about what "unintended damage" is, but a ring that provides resistance to damage dealt by allies has a niche in parties heavy with powers that deal damage to all creatures in an area, or that create harmful zones. You might want to bump the resistance up to resist 10 or even 15 considering it's a ring and they're largely for paragon and epic parties, though. And a ring that provides resistance to the "unintended damage" of zones and/or hazardous terrain has a niche, too. There may even already be items that have similar effects ont the game.

I'd avoid an instant death power like the plague in 4e, but you could maybe get away with an item power that dealt increasing necrotic/psychic damage the longer you sustained it, made it Sustain Standard, and maybe had it daze or immobilize the user until they stopped sustaining it. It would have to deal a lot of damage to be worth using in that case, though.

The scriptures item is probably better off as a campaign-specific ritual, and you need to flesh it out a bit more. What does "communing with the Empty Masters" allow the caster to accomplish? Do they answer questions? How comprehensive is their knowledge, and in what areas? Why would you not want to do this? Do the Empty Masters have their own agendas, that they may choose to lie to accomplish? Does the act of communing with them have some effect on the caster, or the world itself? The players don't necessarily need to know all this information, but the DM definitely should, and so do we in order to judge its suitability to the game. Otherwise, you could choose to make the scriptures themself an artifact item, and it has agendas of its own, personally related to the Empty Masters.

Similarly, that Chipping from the First Stone needs a few more details. Is it a consumable? What are voidwraiths and naught-hounds, and why is the stone worth using to kill them? What are the consequences of killing something with it (again, the players don't need to know this right away, but we do)?

The dog and the cool flower are plainly joke items, and could be rewards suitable for PCs, as long as they're alongside of the adventure's other rewards or the act of attaining them isn't too difficult, or you have a group that would appreciate slaying a dragon and finding stuff like a dog, a flower, the Necklace Of Fireballs (not what it sounds like; it's cinnamon candy), and the Sword of I'm Mortal (which makes you keenly aware of your own looming death and the harm you cause others on a daily basis). The latter two are part of a trove my own DM have us at the end of an adventure once, in a 3rd edition game. We laughed, then put them in the party inventory and kind of forgot about them after a while.

Basically, there's plenty of room for homebrew magic items, yours are just kind of first draft and need more refinement before they'd stand on their own.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

4e does support alternative rewards for players, but yeah, you need a lot more rules crunch than what you're giving if you're going to make something a viable reward.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

TBF though, that bit with the Empty Masters, voidwraiths, and naught-hounds seems like it could be a cool campaign arc, and you could absolutely get away with poorly-defined "consequences" for using the Scriptures and the stone thing if you're good at seat-of-your-pants DMing. But yeah, sounds like you want more of a narrative system where a player's build isn't as important to their viability as a character.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pretty sure if it doesn't say it has a MBA or replacer you can't grant it MBAs.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Neither of those are new, the complaint against encounter powers even existed in 3.5 once the Tome of Battle came out.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think cantrips in 5e are at-will too, but I'm not sure because I haven't played 5e.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There's this online compendium. My group uses it all the time.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

My group has been essentially saying that you can only do an extended rest in a bed, and treating extended multi-day adventures as one long day, except when the characters sleep they can spend a healing surge to recover a daily power - either one of their own or from a magic item. Sometimes the DM allows us to recover multiple dailies at a time at increasing cost (second costs 2 surges, third costs 3, etc).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Whybird posted:

Neither, the character and the player both die for good. No victory without sacrifice.
Do you tell them up front that you murder them if they use this power? :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Iirc, the only expertise feats that grant their bonus with multiple groups are for weapon + implement users, the one you're thinking of is probably Versatile Expertise, which is "any one weapon group and any one implement group".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ominous Jazz posted:

Does Roll20 just not support 4e at all? I can't find how to add monsters. I'm pretty inexperienced at running on roll20 but it seems like basic things aren't there.
My DM uses Masterplan to actually run the encounters, and Roll20 just for battlemaps and dice rolls.