Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

My Lovely Horse posted:

Are there any good commonly accepted alternative ritual casting rules, maybe ones that use a different limiting circumstance than components? I'm not that worried about the usual concern that you're mechanically better off saving up for items, mostly I just don't want to bother with the concept of components because it ends up as either "no you can't cast this you didn't pick up enough components three sessions ago" or gets handwaved away anyway. Playing a bit more fast and loose with the casting times would be nice too, my players usually feel they have time, just not exactly ten minutes, and then just don't bother with the ritual. Playing more fast and loose with anything, really.

Also how is it supposed to work out that half the items you find are supposed to be common when there are only like 10% common items, is everyone just supposed to end up with Bracers of Mighty Striking? Sod that I'm making my own list. (Using PHB/AV/___Power books only though, maybe it's different with items from Essentials stuff.)

My groups been using a rituals per day system. It's 3/4/5 by tier for no cost, with any free ones you get from ritual mastery feats being added on. Works pretty well, haven't really needed more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
If they're coming from other RPGs, the Fighter's perfectly fine, in all honesty. My first 4e character was a Fighter and I picked up pretty quickly. It's the class that teaches you the most about the ways actions are limited on a turn/round basis.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

My Lovely Horse posted:

What would y'all make if you had to build a character to the following specifications:

- functions as secondary defender and secondary leader in a six-person party that has a full-time defender and leader already
- as a defender, takes attacks for the team, as a leader, mainly heals
- isn't overly concerned with dealing damage
- flavour-wise, has to pass as a dwarf worshipping a particular god, so has to include the divine power source
- ideally CON/WIS-based
- pre-Essentials, no Dragon magazines

That's what my unoptimal-paladin-playing buddy wants to redirect himself towards and I'd like to be able to suggest one or two things to him, even though I have this feeling that the answer is something like "lower CON, raise CHA, take feats for more healing surges and maybe a leader multiclass, carry on as you were."

You're absolutely right on the read you have. Grabbing Warlord is always a good choice, cleric might be better synergy, though. I have a dragonborn paladin in my party and he heals pretty well. We did warlord for the awesome breath weapon and other feats the Warlord offers.

ungulateman posted:

Runepriest is p. cool, if not super optimal due to having less options than the earlier classes. Warden is primal but could probably be reskinned super-easy to be a paladin of stone. I would pick Warden myself.

The Runepriest can't do defender worth a drat, they're too fragile. They don't get much in the way of armor, they don't get much in the way of attack redirection, and they have mediocre HP/surges at best. They're more leader/controller due to all the debuffs and AoEs. However, they end fights faster if they heal, which is really kickass. Rune of Mending might not be as much HP, but +5 to damage rolls for everyone is nothing to sneeze at.

Well, I could see going Serene Blade, if you can get a pass on one Dragon article. It's the best of the class features by a mile. Getting tHP when you get hit is a nice perk and increases your survivability by quite a bit because you get hit a LOT when you best armor is Hide or Chainmail and you don't use Dex or Int for anything.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm not surprised that I'm off, been a while since I built my Runepriest. I forgot they got scale, that's pretty good. I could see a Rune Shield/Serene Blade Runepriest doing a good job of frontlining, but yeah, not a replacement for a Paladin. Might be more fun, though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

homullus posted:

Popcorn Initiative, or WFRP3e/EotE initiative where there are just initiative "slots" (all the players roll and a player will go on each of the initiative counts they roll, but it might not be the roller who goes on that one each turn; do the same for the monsters). Dunno if you have much problem with people not thinking about their turns in advance, but knowing they might have another turn coming up sooner than they thought encourages planning ("I should go next, because..."),

Popcorn initiative is really awesome. My group's been using it for a while and it's blast. Adds another layer of game in both sides trying to take advantage of starting the next round.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Cassa posted:

Heard a horror story about someone else's 4e game. Anyone ever heard of a 'wolfwere'?

Yeah, I've heard of them before. They're basically wolves who can turn into humans, reverse werewolves. Spooky, I know. A quick googling suggests they're a D&D creation and are part of Ravenloft more than anything.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Cassa posted:

I see, they the kind of beasty that could give a level 7 party a hard time? I heard talk of it having 400hp or something like that.

Uh... if they have a dickbag for a GM? Sure, why not!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
No wolfwere in the compendium. Bunch of easily-reskinned werewolves, though.

Just so everyone's aware, a GM used this to gently caress up a party:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Found a likely culprit. Cursed Werewolves are level 8 brutes with regeneration 5 and 98 HP. Do decent damage and can prone on an at-will, I could see that roughing up a party. Higher level werewolves get even higher regen.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

ElegantFugue posted:

Brawler Fighters: Single-target lockdown incarnate. They beeline for the largest opponent on the battlefield, chokeslam them into the floor, and bash their head in while pinning them in place and screaming bloody murder at them.

Serene Blade Runepriests: Nigh-perpetual fields of constantly changing fiddly little bonuses (which are very helpful when you remember them). Also protected by a constantly-regenerating buffer of Temp HP.

Both of these are me! He forgot the part where that brawler fighter was basically unkillable and managed to resist most auras on the things he was wrasslin'. Done correctly, a dwarf Fighter/Dwarven Defender is effectively immune to forced movement and can have access to roughly 7 of his 15 healing surges in a given fight, more with the right items.

Basically dwarves own, is what I'm getting at.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Ok, this is going to sound strange, but what's the best way for me as a PC to limit how hard an Avenger can murder me? I think I can mitigate the others somewhat with some damage resistance of various types, but the Avenger will be tricky. I think I'm on track for a story-appropriate heel-turn and I'd like to have my pieces in place for when the weapons come out.

I'm not that guy, I swear. :saddowns:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

This. 4E doesn't support PVP well at all. If you're going to take a heel-turn. don't make it a combat thing.

Yeah, you two are probably right, I just know that the avenger and I have been talking about throwing down for almost the entire campaign. Just trying to have a plan for if it works out as a heel-turn and if the dice come out. I really have no idea what's going to happen with all of it.

I know it sounds like there some sort of bad or disruptive intention here, but I honestly would rather just kill my guy off than do something that'd throw a wrench into the game.

Going to keep the ally idea in mind, though. I'm sure one of the summoning statues would do the trick for a round or two.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it further, it'd be way more satisfying and interesting to turn the Avenger and the rest of my party to my way of thinking, since everyone thinks eternal imprisonment is evil, right? ..right?

Ok, maybe I am a bad, disruptive person. :devil:

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 23, 2014

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm not evil! They're the ones who worship false gods!

ElegantFugue posted:

The problem with THAT is that it suddenly turns you into a group of targets for the burst-oriented Wild Mage Sorcerer to explode, and it's already his gimmick to blow up the party :v:

See? Savages jackals coyotes plotting against me!

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 23, 2014

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm the leader from my group and a Serene Blade Runepriest at that. :getin:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Generic Octopus posted:

If you want to pull one over on allies, grab a pocket dimension and a portal ritual. Then steal something plot critical and gtfo. Trying to actually fight your party is a waste of time.

We're actually using this as our exit plan for our current adventure.

But yeah, I'm convinced that PvP is not the way to go. I know it'd be a mess and not as fun as I initially thought. It just seemed appropriate, given interactions with the Avenger.

Why the heck do Runepriest at wills not scale on damage at 21? That's really strange. I mean, they get some drat good encounters in Epic, but the at will falloff seems odd.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 23, 2014

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Majuju posted:

As mentioned prior, it doesn't really work, due to rocket-taggy-ness. There's certainly a good framework to build off of, but you'd need to do extensive work to balance things/assign points/whatever else.

Actually now that I think of it: what if it used the monster stat blocks, and PC power selection, etc. wasn't a factor? Like, I pit my 1000XP worth of monsters versus someone else's 1000XP. You could use the Elite template stuff to give further customization options, account for special equipment, spend part of your budget on traps, etc.

Wasn't this basically the D&D Miniatures game? I don't think it had traps, but it may have had templates.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

thespaceinvader posted:

A lot of stuff dazes vs Ref.

How is a craghammer ever doing more than .5 per [w]?

Craghammer proficiency <<<< Weapon Focus FWIW. Unless you're getting a 7[W] power...

It's a full point on average, not half. The craghammer is Brutal 2. Though, I think you may be right overall.

On the subject of brutal weapons, khopeshes are fun. Axe/Heavy Blade is a great type combo for feats. I wonder if you could do a build around maximizing the bullshit each side can do.

Allstone posted:

I'm making a bunch of level 4 premade characters for use as a library to do one-shots with, and I'm finding that I probably won't be able to make the backgrounds different or interesting. The workaround I'm thinking of is to add a little bit to all of the premades' gold budgets and then make the backgrounds basically alternative rewards. Is +8-10 health or an extra skill access or some rerolls basically a level 1 item? Also - what's the recommended budget for magic items & gold for a level 4 character? The places I could find that talked about it were a bit confusing.

It's not a budget like the old days. It's 3 items, one each of level, level-1 and level+1.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Generic Octopus posted:

And level appropriate gold, think the number is the gold value of an item of level-1 but I don't remember off my head.

Yeah, I forgot that part, you have it right.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I remember liking using a khopesh for some reason, but yeah, axes want con and heavy blades want dex, not leaving you with a lot of room for other stuff. I mean, if you're doing Dwarven Weapon Training, a brutal 1 heavy blade could be worse.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Man, Runepriests are a hassle to pick feats for. I have no idea what to do with my level 20 pick. I have all the core stuff for the greatspear, have some damage boosting stuff, the usual defense boosters, but I'm totally out of ideas. Any good leadery feats I'm overlooking?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

NachtSieger posted:

What do you have? Also, get Mark of Healing if you can.

I tried to get Mark of Storm, but my GM is too clever for me.

There's a pair of homebrew tweaked feats. Taranis Secretkeeper is Divine Secretkeeper with Nature as an option and Golden Brilliance is a lightning/radiant version of that Sehanine feat I can't remember the name of. I'm running all lighting/radiant damage with the Gifts for the Queen and a Lightning Weapon.

Here's what I have:
Taranis Secretkeeper: Ritual Caster
Human: Golden Brilliance
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Greatspear)
Level 2: Ancient Lore of the Dawn War
Level 4: Polearm Expertise
Level 6: Light of Order
Level 8: Taranis Secretkeeper
Level 10: Linguist
Level 11: Improved Defenses
Level 12: Hafted Defense
Level 14: Fleet-Footed
Level 16: Skill Power (Elemental Countermeasures)
Level 18: Superior Will

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm looking forward to granting hundreds of temp HP with Rune of Hero's Resolve in 2 levels.

What's what Paladin? You want 200 temp HP this fight? Sure! Have a standard action, while you're at it.

Also looking forward to overhealing myself to temp HP with a Cincture of Vivacity and get that +6 damage from Rune of Mending out on turn 1.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

"Yeah, sure, alright. What do you want us to do? We're getting paid, right?"

Iunnrais posted:

... well, a database in Microsoft Access...

:gonk: RIP your data at some unspecified point in the future.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
My group has been talking about doing Zeitgeist after Scales of War and I have no idea what theme I'd want. I was planning on building a debuffer Rogue sort of modeled after Reese from Person of Interest (disowned, assumed dead spy, doesn't kill but kneecaps everyone). Any thoughts? I'm thinking maybe a Gunsmith, but I'd honestly rather just do the regular Spy.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

dwarf74 posted:

Vekeshi Mystic has lots of fun spycraft.

That's actually a pretty cool path and I could work the flavor into what I want to do. Thanks, fellow dwarf-enthusiast!

..now I just have to update the existing Zeitgeist CBLoader file to have the newer stuff.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 14, 2015

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

dwarf74 posted:

I got you covered.

Will do, just have to actually sit down and work on it and uggghhhhh.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
KSheet is pretty great, I've been using it for ages.

Also, on the initiative front: Popcorn Initiative has worked pretty well for my group. It just requires a bit of fiddling for end of this/next turn effects.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

starkebn posted:

Don't know if these files are still up to date, wrote this 18 months ago, but here:

Looks right to me.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Gort posted:

Yeah, the "simplification" argument dies the moment you look at the Essentials wizard, which is the standard wizard with extra things on it.

I'd argue the Mage features are actually better in some cases. Then again, I hate wizards and got tired of a gnome illusionist almost immediately.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

ImpactVector posted:

Hell, even a lot of powers just completely stop working without a weapon. I once played with a DM that thought starting a brand new group, most of whom had no 4e experience, with a classic "you're a bunch of prisoners with no stuff" scenario would be a good idea.

The experience completely soured the Hunter player on the entire system forever, because most of his character sheet just straight up wouldn't work without a ranged weapon.

On the other hand my brawler fighter was just fine. :smaug:

I thought there was an unarmed ranged attack?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Mordiceius posted:

Thanks for this awesome idea. I'll pass it along to the player and see what he thinks. We aren't playing a bleeding edge optimized game as these are all newbie players. Since this is all their first time playing a game, I'm not planning on being super punishing or anything. We're more for fun than SUPER OPTIMIZED CHALLENGE.

Those aren't opposite sides of a spectrum, really. I really like optimizing inside of a gimmick. Cirno's gun-kata build sounds really fun to me. I'm working on an unarmed/hand crossbow debuffer rogue based on John Reese from Person of Interest and it'll be fun to see how far I can push that.

Edit: Rouge != rogue :doh:

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 24, 2015

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Generic Octopus posted:

This fucker gets real annoying in paragon when you make it impossible for an enemy to actually hit anything with all the penalties to their attack rolls.

We had a psion in our last campaign where I ran a brawler fighter. My GM was not a happy camper some fights.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

ProfessorCirno posted:

Give it however much stock you want or however little you want, but going by ICv2, 4e was still top of the food chain until the D&D team underwent some "restructuring" that put Mearls as lead, prompting him to release Essentials, at which point 4e sales sank like a rock. Allowing Mearls to immediately slide int 5e, the edition he actually wanted to make.

I always got the impression Mearls flat out did not like 4e (there were interviews and such that painted the D&D team as not all being aboard a lot of 4e stuff, such as with the wizard arguments), tried to warp it into his own image with Essentials, and more or less killed it with that, allowing him to transition cleanly into making 5e.

It really speaks to the culture at Wizards (and how little they and Hasbro think of D&D) that Mearls was immediately allowed to start a new flagship project after basically killing an entire product line. I mean, I guess that's how the world works, but normally you have to obfusicate that poo poo somehow.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

starkebn posted:

most people who say they can't roleplay in 4e are probably saying it because you can't just write wizard on your character sheet and have a million spells to cast out of combat that effect everything around you

Half my group likes Pathfinder and has never given me an actual answer as to why you can't roleplay in 4e. It's something about the skill system, I think?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Any pro-tips for making a decent Hexblade? (I know the answer is that you don't), but I think it'd have the right mix of stuff to do a Soulknife. I'd try out the one from embertiger, but gently caress entering all that poo poo into CBLoader without the wiki being up.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think I may just ask my DM if I can use Pact Blade Manifestation (the playtest feat). I was convinced by a friend in the interim that an MBA class would bore me to death. I mean, I got bored playing an Gnome Illusionist Mage. I need melee and action, apparently. Though, it occurs to me, if I'm already re-fluffing everything to be various 3.5-style psionic disciplines, do I REALLY need the Blade of the White Well and it's busted-rear end MBA?

Probably? Just tinkering with a skirmisher feylock makes it seem like a blast. Just teleport around debuffing the living hell out of everything.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 29, 2015

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm really just trying to do something in the vein of an old 3.5 soulknife. Maybe mix the psionic discipline fluff that the psion got. I'm also banking on Zeitgeist being a more urban game and doing Secrets of the City (skill power) and Connected (feat) to have some fun with Streetwise, the skill nobody uses and for good reason. This is also the same character that had me looking at a debuffer rogue in the CharOp thread a while back. Burned spy based on John from Person of Interest, but this take would trade CQC and kneecapping people with psychometabolism and telekinesis.

I really dig all of the control options feylocks get, there's some really silly powers in that set that would be great to refluff as thrown mind blades, telepathic distractions, psionic simulcrums, and the like. Fits the sort of powers and mobility I want to do better than the other classes I've considered, like the Monk and Rogue.

So yes, I AM all over the place with what I want to do. It'll ideally coalesce at some point or I'll reject it and start over.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Can you explain what that hybrid needs to look like? I don't see how any of the features I'd get mesh with a control Warlock, combining that with the cost of having to buy back the good Warlock features with feats.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Those are basically the power picks I had in mind, Cirno. Thanks for the input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The team synergy mechanics of the leader are a ton of fun, too. I had a real moment of shining on my Runepriest this weekend, mixing some serious damage boosts with a ton of granted attacks. Sort of like a mini-warlord, was a ton of fun.