Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shahadien
Jan 5, 2014

Hey there goons! Due to the local ice-storm I found myself in a rather concerning predicament. I was out of food for my 140lb St. Bernard puppy! I was hoping he might have enough to last him through the day so I could go get his normal chow tomorrow when the ice is supposed to melt. This did not happen, though, and he started begging and hunting around the house for food and it was wrenching my heart, so I decided to put together a meal for him myself. I looked up a list of common food toxins for dogs and went to my kitchen to see what I could whip up.

Here's what I ended up with-

1 cup Brown Rice
1 2cup can chicken broth
1 2cup can spinach
2 xlarge eggs

I then looked up what spices were desirable for cooking for dogs. A quick glance revealed that turmeric was supposedly as healthy for dogs as it is for humans, and that rosemary is actually very good for their digestion just like it is for ours!

I cooked the rice along with a flavorful mix of the aforementioned spices using the chicken broth as the water for the rice.

After the rice was cooked, I mixed in the canned spinach and added a ground up calcium/magnesium supplement, a ground up b12 dot, and once it was all in, I dumped that into his bowl and scrambled the two eggs in the same pot.

He absolutely loved it, and slaughtered every single grain of it, but I wonder how actually complete for his nutrition the meal was.

Does anyone here cook their own dogfood regularly? I tried searching google, but everything I found was just for treats.

Is it feasible for nutrition vs cost when compared against some of the top brand dog-foods?

What are some of your recipes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shahadien
Jan 5, 2014

Bippie Mishap posted:

Most chicken broth you buy has onion in it. I would not feed that to a dog (I'm a little nutty about never feeding onion and garlic because I had a dog that had Immune-mediated hemolytic anemia 5 or 6 times). I make my own chicken broth for my dog and cats. You can freeze or can it, and my dog likes chicken broth ice cubes in the summer.

Excellent advice! I hadn't even thought to check this before making the meal, but fortunately, the brand I used does not include any extra flavorants. I will start using the ice-cube trick!

• Locked thread