Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Bippie Mishap posted:

I make my own chicken broth for my dog and cats.

So, I'm a cooking moron, think you can share how one might do this? Thanks! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

RazorBunny posted:

Just simmer chicken in water for a few hours, basically.

Remember the part where I said I'm a moron? :downs:

Bippie Mishap posted:

Yeah, I use a whole cut-up chicken plus 2 thighs, 4 thighs if I take out the chicken breasts for myself. I simmer it for 4 hours in water to cover then take out the big bones and break them apart with pliers so the marrow will come out in the broth. Then I gently swish the cut-up bones in the broth (it's hot as hell) and cook it for another hour. If your dog likes carrots you can add some carrots the last hour. I would just cut off the ends and break the carrots in half and add them in as it's easier to cut them up when they're cooked.

Strain the broth when it's done and put the carrots aside. The meat is tough and chewy and I usually throw it away. Cut up the carrots and add them to the broth. You can buy a defatting cup if you're serious about making broth a lot or you can let it cool and spoon the fat off later.

If you can only find whole chickens you can ask the meat guy to cut up the bird for you.

If you break up the bones strain the broth very well! It's a PITA but I hate wasting that marrow.

Thanks, guys! I seriously didn't know it was so easy.

• Locked thread