Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I'm planning on getting this via PSN, which I guess means there's no way to get the preorder bonuses? Doesn't look like anywhere is selling digital codes for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Armor-Piercing posted:

I'm planning on getting this via PSN, which I guess means there's no way to get the preorder bonuses? Doesn't look like anywhere is selling digital codes for it.

If you want to be a true scumbag, all you really need to do is preorder the game from where ever, buy your PSN copy, redeem the preorder bonus download codes on, and return your untouched physical copies to whence they came. Gamestop gives you something like a full week to do this.

E: for the new page

Emalde posted:

If anyone needs any help in deciding where to preorder from:

Niijima Yae (Gamestop) is a Spirit Mitama, and is the only mitama that gets "double materials from purification" as an available passive bonus.
Momotarou (Amazon) is a Speed Mitama, and grants specific bonuses to Long Sword users.

They'll both likely be available later as free downloads, but if you need some kind of specific incentive, here you go.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 30, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
For the EU, the PSN preorder bonuses will be the same as Amazon US' stuff, when it eventually goes up.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Glad to see a Monster Hunter-like making its way to PS Vita (I don't count Soul Sacrifice for many, boring, uninteresting reasons)

Picking up the demo for this tonight, probably gonna run a spear user just because dragoons are the best.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Does anyone who has played the Japanese full release know if some of the online stuff got ironed out a little? Such as making weapons/armour without leaving, etc?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Such as making weapons/armour without leaving, etc?

I'm almost positive you'll still have to exit to the village to do this, but I can check later today when I get a free chunk of time.

E: yeah, even after the update you're still going to have the leave the lobby to do anything

Emalde fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 31, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Someone asked before but will go ahead and shoot again, how much content is in this thing and are the maps interesting enough?

I played MH3U as my first foray into the series and really loved it so was going for clones or things that felt similar. Ragnarok Odyssey sucked total rear end and I couldn't stand how boring it was and I enjoyed Soul Sacrifice but found it somewhat short (and the arena's while interesting felt to confined/lifeless to play in)

Just kinda nervous now about the hunting monsters genre as I don't wanna get a game and surprise there's only like 10 monsters.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Someone asked before but will go ahead and shoot again, how much content is in this thing and are the maps interesting enough?

I played MH3U as my first foray into the series and really loved it so was going for clones or things that felt similar. Ragnarok Odyssey sucked total rear end and I couldn't stand how boring it was and I enjoyed Soul Sacrifice but found it somewhat short (and the arena's while interesting felt to confined/lifeless to play in)

Just kinda nervous now about the hunting monsters genre as I don't wanna get a game and surprise there's only like 10 monsters.

There are 12 or 13 boss monsters, each with a palette swap, and 6 monster hunter sized-ish zones.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
How is the AI?
While I like that you get AI companions, I played Soul Sacrifice and against the higher-level monsters the stupid AI was no help at all.

Also, how viable is it to solo the end/post-game?
Again, in Soul Sacrifice I just got stuck at a particular post-game boss (some werewolf-thing, I think?), so I never finished that.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

scissorman posted:

How is the AI?
While I like that you get AI companions, I played Soul Sacrifice and against the higher-level monsters the stupid AI was no help at all.

Also, how viable is it to solo the end/post-game?
Again, in Soul Sacrifice I just got stuck at a particular post-game boss (some werewolf-thing, I think?), so I never finished that.

AI will always be able to assist thanks to assured knock-downs from Destroyer attacks.

It'll take a while to farm up the necessary equipment, but with an adequate setup you should be able to solo endgame stuff.

e: vv At least you don't have to worry about the item limit thanks to that :v:

Emalde fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 31, 2014

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Ah ha ha, having the demo end where it does was rude as hell.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Here's a tip, both the right stick and d-pad control the camera, so if you want to be an archer use the dpad to aim instead of trying to do an inverse claw on the right stick, although they really should have just put bow aiming on the left trigger.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

I'm playing the demo now and wow, it is basically Monster Hunter with no items, different weapons and more oriental setting. :stare:

I am having a blast with the dual swords and I just took down one of the "bigger onis" by absolutely destroying all its legs and air strafing past his attacks. It is a very cool game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Demo was pretty fun, I'm adding everyone in the google doc.

ADullMin
May 3, 2013

by Ralp

The Moon Monster posted:

There are 12 or 13 boss monsters, each with a palette swap, and 6 monster hunter sized-ish zones.

By palette swap do you mean a harder version of the original?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

ADullMin posted:

By palette swap do you mean a harder version of the original?

This is correct. Generally there are cosmetic differences (such as it being a different color) or some kind of physical addition to the monster.

ADullMin
May 3, 2013

by Ralp
Do they have some new moves or are all their moves just more powerful?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just squashed a giant spider and not sure how I feel on the game. On one hand I'm using fists which I've always loved in games and for a monster hunter "inspired" game it felt surprisingly good even if I don't understand the timing on the link hits but... I don't feel like it's all that difficult so far despite getting KO'd (and revived) once during the spider fight, I haven't made any new weapons or armor yet and was still able to do well. I was surprised with how much of a clone this is that the spider didn't try to retreat and make me chase after it but I guess that's one of the least important things.

Haven't had a chance to play online yet, is there more content in the demo? Or is online just killing that spider forever.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

ADullMin posted:

Do they have some new moves or are all their moves just more powerful?

Both.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Haven't had a chance to play online yet, is there more content in the demo? Or is online just killing that spider forever.

For now. Game comes out in a week though.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just squashed a giant spider and not sure how I feel on the game. On one hand I'm using fists which I've always loved in games and for a monster hunter "inspired" game it felt surprisingly good even if I don't understand the timing on the link hits but... I don't feel like it's all that difficult so far despite getting KO'd (and revived) once during the spider fight, I haven't made any new weapons or armor yet and was still able to do well. I was surprised with how much of a clone this is that the spider didn't try to retreat and make me chase after it but I guess that's one of the least important things.

Don't forget that's just the first real fight. That spider is the great jaggi of toukiden so he wasn't going to be too difficult.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Reive posted:

Here's a tip, both the right stick and d-pad control the camera, so if you want to be an archer use the dpad to aim instead of trying to do an inverse claw on the right stick, although they really should have just put bow aiming on the left trigger.

You can also initiate the attack, then hold R instead of the corresponding button and it will stay in the charge until you release it so you can use the right stick at your leisure. It didn't take me long to get used to it, and was really fluid once I got it down.

I couldn't get into Soul Sacrifice at all, and loved this from the get-go when I fired up the demo. It's really scratching that Monster Hunter itch, and both fists and bow feel so good to use.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Bussamove posted:

I couldn't get into Soul Sacrifice at all, and loved this from the get-go when I fired up the demo. It's really scratching that Monster Hunter itch, and both fists and bow feel so good to use.

This is really my experience with it, Soul Sacrifice never really sucked me in though I wanted to enjoy it, I just didn't really like the way it played.

On weapons I'm really liking the spears and knives myself. The haft sweeping thing with the spear to deal with close up enemies is one of those things that's a really obvious thing to do in hindsight but I haven't seen used in spear combat in games before.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I liked a lot of things about Soul Sacrifice but also felt like it had a lot of room to improve. A proper sequel could be really good.

This game, though, seems to do a good job of blending the good parts of Monster Hunter with the things I like from the other not-Monster-Hunters.

Also the bow with the spirit mitama reminds me a lot of the magick archer from Dragon's Dogma which owned.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

http://www.hitbox.tv/emalde

Streaming some of the Japanese Ver1.0, will probably show off a couple of the following bosses that come after Maneater.

E: That was neat~

Emalde fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 4, 2014

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

kirbysuperstar posted:

For the EU, the PSN preorder bonuses will be the same as Amazon US' stuff, when it eventually goes up.

When does the digital preorder typically become available?
I'm thinking of pre-ordering it via Amazon, so I'd like to compare the price and see what the bonus is, but I have yet to see any info about the PSN version on the playstation blog.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

scissorman posted:

When does the digital preorder typically become available?

PSN preorder is up now - https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-au/games/toukiden-the-age-of-demons-psn/cid=EP4108-PCSB00478_00-B000000000000950(AU page, but it should redirect you to UK/EU)

JB Hifi's page for it still isn't up, six days out from release and they're the sole retailer for the physical version here in Australia.

:thumbsup:

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

kirbysuperstar posted:

PSN preorder is up now - https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-au/games/toukiden-the-age-of-demons-psn/cid=EP4108-PCSB00478_00-B000000000000950(AU page, but it should redirect you to UK/EU)

JB Hifi's page for it still isn't up, six days out from release and they're the sole retailer for the physical version here in Australia.

Thanks!
I really would have preferred the "double materials" mitama but that should be available later, right?
Do the cat ears do anything or is it just a silly promotional item?

Edit: I just looked around and you can apparently get the other mitama by pre-ordering from the UK retailer HAME: http://www.game.co.uk/en/toukiden-270332

scissorman fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 6, 2014

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I've got a question about effective bow use since the release date is right around the corner. What's the most effective shot to use to detonate curse arrows? I see in the OP it mentions fully charged square shots or the triple-nock, but I'm not entirely clear as to what I should prioritize when it comes to making things explode.

Arro
Mar 31, 2010
In case people were holding out for getting the digital version with pre order bonuses Tecmo Koei America has confirmed that we get nothing http://tmi.me/1dDxJi so get that physical version if you want cat ears.

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's up now http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/game/ps-vita/toukiden-the-age-of-demons/698589

no mention of any pre order bonuses.

In the Demo the OP mentions 4 mitama to get. Where is the last one? Is it the one you find in the final mission of the demo but can never receive?

dPB fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 10, 2014

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

dPB posted:

It's up now http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/game/ps-vita/toukiden-the-age-of-demons/698589

In the Demo the OP mentions 4 mitama to get. Where is the last one? Is it the one you find in the final mission of the demo but can never receive?

You get to keep that one.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
Amazon just charged me for my pre-order. Hoping that means it will get here tomorrow even though it has said Thursday forever.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

dPB posted:

There's one you can receive from the Aurwings in the second map. I don't have my Vita handy but I think it's Sei Shonagon, a healer type.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

And sixty bucks to boot. Blehh no thanks. As much as I prefer physical copies...

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Ew do you guys really get that huge rating box on the front of the case? Here I thought the PEGI and ESRB boxes were bad...

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome

kirbysuperstar posted:

And sixty bucks to boot. Blehh no thanks. As much as I prefer physical copies...

Dropped by the local JB when I went out for lunch, no idea about any preorder bonuses and now the release date is the 27th of February. (Or was I hallucinating the previous date of 14th like with the rest of Europe?). Also EB Games has no idea about it so I guess you win this time EU PSN.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

dPB posted:

Dropped by the local JB when I went out for lunch, no idea about any preorder bonuses and now the release date is the 27th of February. (Or was I hallucinating the previous date of 14th like with the rest of Europe?). Also EB Games has no idea about it so I guess you win this time EU PSN.

Gamestop gave me a call and said it would be available tomorrow morning. Maybe different in EU.

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome

Belzac posted:

Gamestop gave me a call and said it would be available tomorrow morning. Maybe different in EU.

I'm in Australia so...yeah. Or do we have our own separate PSN? I just assumed EU because we always get lumped with them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

dPB posted:

I'm in Australia so...yeah. Or do we have our own separate PSN? I just assumed EU because we always get lumped with them.

It's the same as EU unless there's an item that wasn't avaiable to us because of OFLC (i.e., Corpse Party). However, the page for Toukiden on the EU/AU store says it comes out this week, so..

And yeah I just noticed the 27th date on the JB page too. And for whatever reason, Tecmo Koei EU and Mindscape struck an exclusive deal with JB Hifi for this, so EB etc won't get it at all. Cool beans!

:bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

If anyone else has the game, get in the IRC~

Also, apparently if you opt not to import the demo data on start up, you don't get the opportunity to do it ever again so make sure you wrap up everything you want to in the demo first.

E: To claim your actual equipment from preorder DLC, you just have to check your letters in your home. There is a bonus if you managed to play the demo online with 3 other people, you get the Pink Tenko Mask.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 11, 2014

• Locked thread