Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

When I'm upgrading a weapon, does it matter whether or not I fortify it before upgrading? I've got a Crimson Spear +2 that I can make into a Blueblaze Spear, but should I fortify it to +9 first, or does no benefit carry over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ADullMin posted:

I usually save my special for the back legs on that guy.

I think I've seen a video of something similar to G Rank later on, but I'm not actually that far yet.

Yeah, saving your destroyer for his back legs is definitely the way to go. The most pain in the rear end part to break in the game is the fire bird's breast plate, for my money. It's nearly impossible to hit during his first stage, so you want to save up a bow/spear/kusarigama destroyer for his second stage, but he spazzes around so violently you still have to get the timing perfect. You probably won't have time break it normally before just killing him.

Armor-Piercing posted:

When I'm upgrading a weapon, does it matter whether or not I fortify it before upgrading? I've got a Crimson Spear +2 that I can make into a Blueblaze Spear, but should I fortify it to +9 first, or does no benefit carry over?

Doesn't matter.

ADullMin
May 3, 2013

by Ralp
So is their online only armor in the game? It seems like their must be considering there are 200 pieces.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
The demo of this easily coasted me through a 4 hour train ride, and I'll definitely be getting the full version soon once I've finished exploring all the things I can do in the demo.

In MH3U I was a career support and a hunting horn fiend. Obviously there's no horn here, but I'm loving the sickle and chain's crowd control abilities. What would be considered as the 'support build' in this game?

Oh also, is there an item list for at least the demo portion of the game? For some reason I'm not getting copper ore or large fangs, and I'm not sure if that's because the demo intentionally omits them or if I'm overlooking something.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Six Of Spades posted:

The demo of this easily coasted me through a 4 hour train ride, and I'll definitely be getting the full version soon once I've finished exploring all the things I can do in the demo.

In MH3U I was a career support and a hunting horn fiend. Obviously there's no horn here, but I'm loving the sickle and chain's crowd control abilities. What would be considered as the 'support build' in this game?

Oh also, is there an item list for at least the demo portion of the game? For some reason I'm not getting copper ore or large fangs, and I'm not sure if that's because the demo intentionally omits them or if I'm overlooking something.

my understanding is that any job with the right miatama becomes support.

copper ore is a world loot, find the shinies

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
Oh, well I meant more like if there are Mitamas or weapons that are good at status infliction, but if it's not that type of game then that's fair (albeit a shame).

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
I have a spear that inflicts poison and I have mitama with boosts that increase the rate of applying status effects if that's what you mean? Deceit mitama has an ability to stun monsters (you literally shock trap an area and bosses will get stunned in it like in MH). I think the Gauntlet special sets parts on fire.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dPB posted:

I have a spear that inflicts poison and I have mitama with boosts that increase the rate of applying status effects if that's what you mean? Deceit mitama has an ability to stun monsters (you literally shock trap an area and bosses will get stunned in it like in MH). I think the Gauntlet special sets parts on fire.

dang there are status inflicting weapons? I gotta play more. How powerful are the on hit effects? I remember there were certain monsters in MH that would just get wrecked by poison

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
tbh I haven't used it yet cos it was a relatively early weapon and I kinda skipped right over it. I'll try and test it the next time I play.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I am super stoked to get online and go slay some oni with goons, but I am so bad at this game :smith:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

It's cool, I'm bad too. The plus side is this game has the downed mechanic that gives your team a chance to revive you. If they fail to do so you can just blame it on them!:v:

vvv you're not my dad you can't tell me what to do

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 18, 2014

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Awesome! posted:

It's cool, I'm bad too. The plus side is this game has the downed mechanic that gives your team a chance to revive you. If they fail to do so you can just blame it on them!:v:

Every time you get downed it's harder and harder to bring you back. Stop dieing pls.

Griffypoo
Aug 6, 2013

Six Of Spades posted:

Oh, well I meant more like if there are Mitamas or weapons that are good at status infliction, but if it's not that type of game then that's fair (albeit a shame).

Fists are the only weapon that can consistently apply a debuff usable by everyone else. Their triangle attacks will light up whatever part they hit and cause the part to take increased damage. I wouldn't recommend them for a support build, though, because you basically need to be in the thick of it, fighting constantly to really make use of them. I think the bow makes for a good support weapon because it keeps you safely out of AoE range and allows you to hit awkwardly placed parts like Jollux's and Terragrinder's spikes at any time.

Six Of Spades posted:

For Mitama:

Healing is a pretty standard one. No major surprises there, you just heal stuff and regen peoples' stamina.

Deceit is an option for a more debuff based support. They can either weaken enemy defense, set down a field of invisibility for allies, or set down a stun field that makes any monsters that walk into it paralyzed for a while.

Spirit is a good option if you want to focus on damaging parts. All spirit abilities deal damage to the last place you hit, so you could light up a difficult part and break it fairly easily afterward.

Space is another option. Its weak ability lets you warp around the battlefield. Second ability sets down a purification circle that stays without your intervention. You can use it to pick up those big parts that drop off without putting your teammates in danger. Third ability is a vortex that pulls in any nearby enemies and damages them over time. Lasts a long time, but enemies can still attack while inside it.

See if any of that floats your boat.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Space and luck feel almost like joke Mitamas to me. I'm the only person I've ever seen using either of them online. For space, the black hole seems like a worse shock trap and warp just doesn't seem very useful. The purifying area is nice but totally unnecessary. For luck, the random skill thing seems worse than having one consistent skill you actually want, the self buff is ok but I'd rather just have might from the attack mitama, and the team restore is probably only very useful when you're coordinating with teammates over voice chat.

If you want to play as a support you're probably best off going healing or deceit. That said it's a hunting game so damage to the monster will still be like 80% of your contribution, minimum. Spirit is good but I wouldn't consider it a support since all of it's abilities are just damage.

Speaking of spirit, does anyone know how its damage scales? I think it's based on your attack damage vs. the monster your fighting, my friend noticed that while using a wind weapon eruption didn't do poo poo to a windshredder but would bring a jollux's body parts from white to red.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

The Moon Monster posted:

Space and luck feel almost like joke Mitamas to me. I'm the only person I've ever seen using either of them online. For space, the black hole seems like a worse shock trap and warp just doesn't seem very useful. The purifying area is nice but totally unnecessary.

While I agree that the Sanctum ability isn't great, Warp is an amazing evasive technique when combined with Chain (and the passive that makes it so you warp to your sanctum is neat for a couple of fights), and Paradox has a lot of value given that it comes off of cooldown much faster than Stupor does, and you can acquire mitama that will apply your element/status effect to its damage which make it functionally comparable than Stupor in some ways as you'll get more than 1-2 off per fight despite it having a shorter duration.

Ludicrous G. Gibs
Jan 28, 2012

Drinks?

The Moon Monster posted:

For luck, the random skill thing seems worse than having one consistent skill you actually want, the self buff is ok but I'd rather just have might from the attack mitama, and the team restore is probably only very useful when you're coordinating with teammates over voice chat.

You can get skills, generally on Luck mitama, that influence the skills you get from the random skill thing. Pushing the random draw toward Attack, Deceit or Healing skills is actually really good since all the skills in those classes are useful and you get a lot of casts of the random skill thing. Between the team restore and Luck's passive ability to restore casts as you purify parts, you can average 25 to 30 shots per run if not more; a solid chunk of those will be usable if not necessarily exactly what you want right now. You can also get a skill that improves your results from the random skill thing, generally meaning you get more triangle and circle skills than square.

The self buff is massive if you get a double buff and can be even more so with the right skills.

The team restore is solid, especially if you can coordinate with your team over voice as you mentioned. Restoring people's triangle and circle skills is awesome. Restoring a Deceit or Healing's circle skills is really awesome.

Of course, sometimes you'll hit the random skill thing and get Warp from Space so all it does is teleport you forward a few feet. Or sometimes you'll hit the self buff and poison the poo poo out of yourself. Luck is the best.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I got this the other day, and what I did notice about the Space-purification is that it's really fast. And since I've just fought my first Oni that can re-attach downed parts, getting them gone fast is a big plus.

I'm typically rolling with Defence and Daggers though, and using the invincibility to wreck parts in the monster's face with impunity.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ludicrous G. Gibs posted:

You can get skills, generally on Luck mitama, that influence the skills you get from the random skill thing. Pushing the random draw toward Attack, Deceit or Healing skills is actually really good since all the skills in those classes are useful and you get a lot of casts of the random skill thing. Between the team restore and Luck's passive ability to restore casts as you purify parts, you can average 25 to 30 shots per run if not more; a solid chunk of those will be usable if not necessarily exactly what you want right now. You can also get a skill that improves your results from the random skill thing, generally meaning you get more triangle and circle skills than square.

The problem with the passives that influence luck is 1) they're still not guaranteed and 2) you use passive slots to something another mitama could do without dedicating passives to it. I tried stacking a few of them and the most common result was "blank" aka literally nothing but it still goes on cooldown.

quote:

I got this the other day, and what I did notice about the Space-purification is that it's really fast. And since I've just fought my first Oni that can re-attach downed parts, getting them gone fast is a big plus.

Actually, all big oni can reattach parts. Some like the viper queen can do it really quickly, though.

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
The Sanctum skill from the Space Mitama also has the added effect of shortening everyone's skill charge times like the Space ritual but without having to stand in range of it.

Edit: Fighting Bladewing is such a pain. I'm using Def/Spear because the AI helpers are silly and everytime I try to do it online people keep dropping out so I end up with only 2 of us trying to take it on. Some things I have discovered though, Spear O attack charged to 3 will cancel its attacks. The only problem is you have NO invincibility going up or down so if it wasn't for the Defence Mitama shield you'll just get knocked back canceling your own attack. Also do you have any invincibility while dodging? I'm trying to dodge its aoe sweep where everything erupts (when it gets super angry) and nothing seems to work. Dodging towards him fails, backwards fails, it's like the only way to not be hit is to be out of range. Final complaint, why do spears not have a second wind weapon while other weapons sets do? Talking about the first tier 3 weapons.

dPB fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 19, 2014

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Thinking this thread sold me on this. Ill hop into irc when I get back but since that isn't until 4 or so EST will there be anyone around to help a babby monster hunter demon slayer around? Or does the game have a buff enough tutorial system to get through it? I bought Soul Sacrifice on launch day and never got to play it online or really enjoy anything about it short of the atmosphere, and due to not having a wiiu cannot play mh3u online.

Edit: I guess I should be asking how active of a goongroup do we have? I would love to play with people but I don't want to drop $40 on another soul sacrifice.

lokipunk fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 19, 2014

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
The intro Oni fight gives you a pretty pressure-free area in which to get acclimated to the control scheme and the weapons' behaviors. Get a feel for it, then start the game proper and take a look around town after the first scripted mission. Once you're used to things, if you run into trouble, just ask for help here or in the channel and someone (though probably not me because I'm awful) will help you out.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I'm a bit confused about some of the breaks on monsters. Like on Windshredder and Jollux, they have breakable horns, but when I break them there isn't a part that drops for me to purify as far as I can tell. If these parts don't drop anything then is there a point in breaking them other than getting the all breaks bonus reward?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I'm a bit confused about some of the breaks on monsters. Like on Windshredder and Jollux, they have breakable horns, but when I break them there isn't a part that drops for me to purify as far as I can tell. If these parts don't drop anything then is there a point in breaking them other than getting the all breaks bonus reward?

I believe the cosmetic breaks give you parts under the "minor break bonus" part of the rewards screen.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride
Set up a hunting party for later tonight around 6:30. The lowest common denominator is rank 4, so try to be that high (or willing to scrub it up with other rank 4s)

http://teamworkcast.com/parties/party.php?code=oj109m17

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

dPB posted:

Also do you have any invincibility while dodging? I'm trying to dodge its aoe sweep where everything erupts (when it gets super angry) and nothing seems to work. Dodging towards him fails, backwards fails, it's like the only way to not be hit is to be out of range. Final complaint, why do spears not have a second wind weapon while other weapons sets do? Talking about the first tier 3 weapons.

Dodging does have some invincibility, and there are monster hunter style skills that increase its length.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Social Dissonance posted:

Set up a hunting party for later tonight around 6:30. The lowest common denominator is rank 4, so try to be that high (or willing to scrub it up with other rank 4s)

http://teamworkcast.com/parties/party.php?code=oj109m17

Just got home and bought the game. Dont think ill make it to 4 by 6:30.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

You definitely will not

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
I never played multiplayer with the demo but when I played online in the regular game I received the bonus mask for the multiplayer demo thing. Just in case someone wants it just install the demo and play it a bit single player and maybe you'll get a cool pink mask.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
I haven't played in a few days now, but man, knuckles with a speed mitama are hilarious. If you pop energy and fervor, you can keep up the O attack for a good minute or so on a downed boss and knock it back down two or three times in the process.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Has anyone found a way to make those invisible drumble and floating skull variants spawn? I've found 2 of each but haven't seen any in like 20 hours of play time.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Lobby "SA FAI'S N00BZ" (server: English) opens in about five mintues. Password "dothis." (edit: no password) If you're just starting out (literally level/phase 1) and want to gently caress around in multiplayer without any real consequences, please hop in.

edit: good show, guys and gals

GOTTA STAY FAI fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 20, 2014

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Question: what do those little prayer shrines in the maps do?

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
Green ones refill health, white ones restore all your skills to their maximum count.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

So far, I really like this game. It's like all the good parts of Monster Hunter with a bunch of quality of life improvements and without all the tedious grognard bullshit that plagues Monster Hunter games (or at least Freedom Unite, the only one I've played).

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

dPB posted:

Green ones refill health, white ones restore all your skills to their maximum count.

Well crap, I've been using the white one immediately after entering the map :doh:

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

U.T. Raptor posted:

So far, I really like this game. It's like all the good parts of Monster Hunter with a bunch of quality of life improvements and without all the tedious grognard bullshit that plagues Monster Hunter games (or at least Freedom Unite, the only one I've played).

100% agreed. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is pretty cool, but I never got far because it was full of gathering and fishing and poo poo and just really demanded a hell of a lot more attention than I could really be bothered giving it.

This game has properly got its hooks into me, though. Can't get enough of killing oni, making their bits into cool gear, and immediately going out and doing it again. No loving about, just straight to oni-killin'.

Had fun last night killing my first Terragrinder and making myself some fancy blue Phosphor Gauntlets. Counting the hours until I can go home and punch more Japanese demons in the leg with my comically outsized fists!

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Wow. Just hit the pyrobird thing and man that was tough. I died for the first time actually, although not enough to fail the mission. Probably need to start paying closer attention to elemental stats.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Falcon2001 posted:

Wow. Just hit the pyrobird thing and man that was tough. I died for the first time actually, although not enough to fail the mission. Probably need to start paying closer attention to elemental stats.

Pyroteryx is the first oni that really deals a whole lot of elemental damage, yeah. After that Steelwing is another that kicks it up a notch and hammers it into your head that you should be wearing earth resistant gear against it. Of course there's always the old adage of "just don't get hit" when it comes to hunting games, but that can only go so far.

Teryx is also a case of the second form being much, much easier than the first because he stops doing the firespin and firewalk(with me) in favor of being Dhalsim.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Falcon2001 posted:

The mission before I got to the Pyropteryx I had just picked up a Mitama that had an ability that prevents you from being set on fire (Extinguishment). Soon after starting the pyrobird fight I realized that I probably should have brought that Mitama with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah, I wouldn't consider this an actual hunting game because its missing the hunter/gatherer aspect of MH. I'd just call it a slaying game because its all about finding the oni and breaking them to pieces.

Its strangely satisfying to break all the monsters pieces with daggers. Like you claw your way up to hard to reach areas and just unload on them. Position yourself between part and just spin to win.

• Locked thread