Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elec
Feb 25, 2007
Great OP!

I'm a Japan goon who loved Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (my first MH) and wasn't totally wowed with the other MH clones available until Toukiden. I made a few posts talking about it in the Vita thread. I plowed through it all by my lonesome, and with the dual swords no less (with my Mitama of choice being Defense, though Spirit was always really satisfying to mess around with). (speaking of which, the dual swords graphic with 双刀, I thought it was read as "soutou"?)

Anyway it's great and I'm glad people on SA seemed to like the demo. I actually haven't messed too much with post-game stuff, but I'll get to it one of these days.

The Soul Sacrifice DLC armor is actually really good with resistances and will last you for quite awhile, I imagine, so if you find yourself maybe not so good at the game at first I suggest that for awhile.

As for some memorable oni, the Goenma fight is really fun and intense because of how fast his arms regenerate, his enraged form, and a couple of hard-to-hit breakables. The only oni I really had a hard time with and really do not enjoy fighting is Daimaen, a crow-type thing, because there's only one permanently breakable part and it takes forever to break his wing parts (which regenerate) to get him to stop ground-pounding you and your team enough to get in some hits.

Other than that, there is a lot of good info on Japanese wikis so if anyone has questions that are not easily answered by Google Translate or whatever I wouldn't mind helping out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
Sorry to bump this month-old thread, but has anyone gotten a golden blade to drop from Tokonoyo-o/Cimmerian King? Japanese wikis say it's not at all that rare and it's supposed to drop from purifying his left sword arm, but I've fought 10 of these guys and it's not dropping. I found another post on another site saying that perhaps you may have to let him regenerate his arm first, but I've only ever seen different parts regenerate with like Mizuchime and Goenma. So far this is the only real grinding I've had to do for a drop in this game. Maybe it'll drop from the solo fight? I'm a bit apprehensive to tackle it yet, though.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
I downloaded the Kiwami demo when it came out but I got distracted/busy so I only tried it out the other day.

There are four new weapons and two new monsters in the demo. The two monsters are the big fox-like thing, which I haven't actually tried to fight yet, and another bird-like creature similar to the one you fight early in the regular game. (There is also a new fox lady oni, but it's not in the demo.)

The demo only lets you play with the three new weapons plus the long sword. There's a hammer, a naginata, and a rifle.
The hammer is slow and has a mechanic where you do better damage if you are an exact distance away from the monster. This seems somewhat similar to the timing mechanic on the fists weapon, and overall I didn't like this that much.

As a knives user, I was definitely drawn toward the naginata. It's pretty speedy and can still get in the air, better than the spear can. It has a mechanic sort of like the long sword in monster hunter, where the more you attack consistently you get small buffs in a couple of increments.

The rifle is interesting. Each gun carries 3 different types of bullets out of 6. There's regular, pierce, explosive, spread, drain, and another one I'm forgetting. Once you start aiming, you are able to see a "weak point" on the monster, and if you hit that you get a damage boost. Each shot type has two ways of firing it, with the second way being sorta kinda like the siege mode of a heavy bow gun in MH. It felt a little better moving around and aiming at little monsters than the bow I guess, but the reload time is extremely long.

Anyway on top of that there's some sort of "emergency quest" mode, where you just go on a mystery mission and fight whatever shows up (probably much harder oni), with better rewards than usual, as well as a free hunt mode with better rewards and higher chances for mitamas (a godsend). Some new areas, new mitamas, etc.

I actually picked up a 3DS recently and played Monster Hunter tri G for awhile, and going from that to the Toukiden Kiwami demo was night and day. I was kinda iffy on the graphics for some weird reason when this first came out but I am looking forward to some of the new areas as you can see here. http://www.4gamer.net/games/252/G025263/20140620031/

I'll probably still stick with knives exclusively, but the naginata is a tempting second choice.

EDIT: Forgot to mention a new mechanic. There's a blue "unity" gauge that fills up kind of like your weapon gauge, but you can activate it separately? with another character? I never actually got it completely filled up in the hunts I did (always completed the quest with juuuust a sliver left to go), and I couldn't find much info about it, but hey. More stuff.

Elec fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 26, 2014

• Locked thread