Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
In many ways, Toukiden feels like a friendlier MH with some of the fiddlier bits (Good and bad) stripped out to ease the learning curve a little.

Hopefully they have something Gunlance-ish for the sequel because explosions are my favorite weapon.

It's very MH-esque while still being its own thing. Sharpness is not a thing, so that's one less thing to keep track of. There's no weapon holstered/weapon drawn stance and AFAIK, you don't use stamina faster when running away from a monster, so players have a lot more mobility options than in MH where there's various drawbacks to consider. No item usage/management is a nice change even though I'm very used to MH management. Although I very much love some of MH's fiddlier bits, it's still a great MH-esque game without them.

I really like how different the weapons are. I'm sure it'll probably get more weapons if Toukiden becomes a big franchise but right now, they've got everything covered. I also love the upwards mobility options because it means big monsters are much less a pain where you're nipping at their legs and prioritizing attacks with a ton of reach, so there probably won't be anything as annoying as cutting off Diablos' tail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Awesome! posted:

Tried out the longsword a little more tonight and learned that you can combo from a 7-hit chain into the x+square side swipe thing and directly into another 7-hit chain indefinitely.:eyepop: Combine that and might+carnage and the manhunter didn't know what hit it. Also I learned that some weapons (and maybe armor?) do seem to have a MH-like upgrade path in addition to fortify which is nice. I thought it was just fortify at first.

The O+X slash is pretty important because you can combo almost anything into it and just start another combo afterwards. This saves on having to dodge attacks or otherwise stop attacking.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Emalde posted:

If anyone needs any help in deciding where to preorder from:

Niijima Yae (Gamestop) is a Spirit Mitama, and is the only mitama that gets "double materials from purification" as an available passive bonus.
Momotarou (Amazon) is a Speed Mitama, and grants specific bonuses to Long Sword users.

They'll both likely be available later as free downloads, but if you need some kind of specific incentive, here you go.

In Canada, Amazon doesn't list a preorder bonus while EBGames does. Good job Amazon.

• Locked thread