Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Hey good OP, OP. The main MH aspect that I felt was missing from the demo was item use/combinations. That's a ton of gameplay depth that goes out the window along with inventory management. Also upgrading weapons and armor just from using them with no cost is weird to me.

quote:

Note that your active abilities are derived from the first equipped Mitama, the others will only grant you their passive benefits. Each Mitama can only have 3 of their passives active at once, so at most you will only ever have 9 passive effects from Mitama at once (not including the benefits from just having specific kinds equipped).
When you say passive benefits I assume you mean the pseudo armor skills? Does it let you pick which 3? And when you say benefits from having specific kinds equipped at the end are you talking about the passives like holding R to regen STA on ATK types?

Should we have a PSN name list or something in the OP? Online hunting with goons is going to be the main attraction since I have MH3U on 3ds only. I'm Super_Aggro_Crag.

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

One other thing, is armor weight like MH sharpness where higher is always better or are there drawbacks too like a reduced evade distance or faster stamina depletion?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Tried out the longsword a little more tonight and learned that you can combo from a 7-hit chain into the x+square side swipe thing and directly into another 7-hit chain indefinitely.:eyepop: Combine that and might+carnage and the manhunter didn't know what hit it. Also I learned that some weapons (and maybe armor?) do seem to have a MH-like upgrade path in addition to fortify which is nice. I thought it was just fortify at first.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

also gamestop has 6 exclusive missions that are probably worthless while amazon gives you a couple furry dressup accessories. Going with gamestop myself even though gently caress gamestop.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just squashed a giant spider and not sure how I feel on the game. On one hand I'm using fists which I've always loved in games and for a monster hunter "inspired" game it felt surprisingly good even if I don't understand the timing on the link hits but... I don't feel like it's all that difficult so far despite getting KO'd (and revived) once during the spider fight, I haven't made any new weapons or armor yet and was still able to do well. I was surprised with how much of a clone this is that the spider didn't try to retreat and make me chase after it but I guess that's one of the least important things.

Haven't had a chance to play online yet, is there more content in the demo? Or is online just killing that spider forever.

Don't forget that's just the first real fight. That spider is the great jaggi of toukiden so he wasn't going to be too difficult.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Ew do you guys really get that huge rating box on the front of the case? Here I thought the PEGI and ESRB boxes were bad...

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

In case anyone wants the pink furry mask from the demo, you need to do a mission with three people but they don't all have to be in the same mission. Doing three missions with three different people should work.

e: I thought the level 3 limit on mitamas was a demo thing but the shrine chick is still telling me she can't do it. Do I need to unlock more levels via mission progress?

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 12, 2014

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Are there more training sessions that unlock later? I've done all the weapon ones but I'm not getting that medal/trophy.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What that's bullshit. I played the demo with numerous people and I didn't get anything :sigh:

I saw a post somewhere that said the EU demo people got it for completing the demo and the US got it for data transferring (playing online) with three people. No idea if that's true or not. I'm in the US, had exactly 3 people listed as doing 1 mission with me in the data transfer log and quite a few more with 0. The mask is delivered via the notebook in your house when you start up the full game. It is literally a pink furry fox head though so I wouldn't be too worried if you don't get it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

easiest thing would probably be to make a room and then post the name/password here so people can join

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ahaha holy poo poo what a design on jollux.

e: do the resists on a demon's armor reflect their actual resists? Jollux armor has low wind resist so I should use a wind weapon when fighting him?

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 13, 2014

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I just miss having a farm with slave cats personally. Would be a good use for all this goddamn soil. I'm sure jollux has some barroth-level dung to provide too. Needing to go farm loving hercudromes or whatever can gently caress right off though.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

there are 2 or 3 missions in ch. 2 that you get to do. It will cut you out of a fight and then give you a "thanks for playing the demo" so you can't miss it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Beat my first not-peco last night. Cool fight and it's neat to see their take on it. His fire charge attack does legit damage which is nice after being in very little danger of dying for the first few oni. He downed me once when I wasn't expecting it.

Also I finally found a couple large fangs from drumbles so I can make one of the fire weapons that have been taunting me from the start. Talk about a rare drop...

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Is it just me or can the online connection be pretty flaky at times? Just got disconnected when I ran through a zone change and loading the last couple missions have taken a super long time for some reason.

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 15, 2014

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

My vita isn't in my router's dmz but I've never had any problems with connectivity or party chat or anything. I'll check into that and see if it helps anything. I just did a few missions with a couple dudes with no hiccups and then on #4 I was stuck at the loading screen again.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Hymirvetr posted:

Crafted some bow and then realized how amazing it is if you really gently caress up every possible part on an Oni. Love Bows now.

Bow has really become my go to weapon for fighting real stuff with longsword for trash farming missions. I am trying to like the chain sickle but it hasn't really clicked yet. I did a jollux last night and focused on the spine ridge the entire time. Didn't get it off before he died. I was locked on to it, popping the agility move and trying to chain pull my way up there but it just wasn't working very well at all. With the bow I just lock on and charge-shot it off in a minute or two.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I almost got all terragrinder's breaks on my first try but one back leg in phase 2 managed to stay on. He hides those things pretty well since when he does pop out it's often only his front half. I like that his big gopher teeth are a break spot. Not sure bow is the best choice for this fight though since he likes to follow me around and it's hard to keep distance. Maybe I'll try chain-sickle with a spirit mitama to supplement my poor chain grappling ability. I've actually really been liking the gamestop preorder spirit mitama. She has a skill that gives pursuit a health leech effect and one that makes eruption just absolutely destroy a part. Think it's called eruption(burst).

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

It's cool, I'm bad too. The plus side is this game has the downed mechanic that gives your team a chance to revive you. If they fail to do so you can just blame it on them!:v:

vvv you're not my dad you can't tell me what to do

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 18, 2014

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

You definitely will not

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is there a way to see what mission someone picked without running over to the door?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I tried the boxing gloves on terragrinder and it was pretty good. In the few kills I did the hardest part to break was the horn on his face. Back legs actually became super easy. I'm still trying to like chain sickle but failing. I spent an entire pyrobird fight trying to break his horn. Was locked on to the horn and flying all over the place but only broke wings, tail, chest and one foot.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Mr. Locke posted:

I've been switched over to a sickle main for a while- the trick with Sickle is to use your normal attacks to get the easy breaks and use your Triangle + Circle supermove to break the hard-to-hit areas. With just Novice Destroyer on one Mitama, I usually see 3-4 uses of the supermove per fight, which is more then any other weapon in my experience and is almost always enough to get all the tricky breaks I'm not usually gonna get over the course of a fight (Hell's Warden being the main exception, with all the fancy extra breaks on Phase 2)

If you've having a hard time lining up a good Sickle supermove, remember that you can use it while zipping around in midair with your charge Square.

I am getting better at that but during that pyrobird fight I kept hitting his loving forewings and then I missed the one shot I had when he was flipped out. I'll just keep practicing on him. Maybe go back to the first fight rather than the one in ch. 4 with like 8 or 10 stars. This game is weird because if I don't get all the breaks on a mission I feel like kind of a failure despite winning without dying. In MH I hardly ever break everything on a monster in one fight and don't think anything of it unless I need a tail and didn't get the cut or something.

When on the ground should I be using the full chain+sickle combo or just be doing 3 sickle slashes and rolling? It seems like the swinging chain will often hit multiple parts on the large oni so maybe that evens out the greater damage on the sickle hits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

double terragrinder mission is loving awful

• Locked thread