Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Awesome! posted:

I tried the boxing gloves on terragrinder and it was pretty good. In the few kills I did the hardest part to break was the horn on his face. Back legs actually became super easy. I'm still trying to like chain sickle but failing. I spent an entire pyrobird fight trying to break his horn. Was locked on to the horn and flying all over the place but only broke wings, tail, chest and one foot.

I've been switched over to a sickle main for a while- the trick with Sickle is to use your normal attacks to get the easy breaks and use your Triangle + Circle supermove to break the hard-to-hit areas. With just Novice Destroyer on one Mitama, I usually see 3-4 uses of the supermove per fight, which is more then any other weapon in my experience and is almost always enough to get all the tricky breaks I'm not usually gonna get over the course of a fight (Hell's Warden being the main exception, with all the fancy extra breaks on Phase 2)

If you've having a hard time lining up a good Sickle supermove, remember that you can use it while zipping around in midair with your charge Square.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Awesome! posted:

I am getting better at that but during that pyrobird fight I kept hitting his loving forewings and then I missed the one shot I had when he was flipped out. I'll just keep practicing on him. Maybe go back to the first fight rather than the one in ch. 4 with like 8 or 10 stars. This game is weird because if I don't get all the breaks on a mission I feel like kind of a failure despite winning without dying. In MH I hardly ever break everything on a monster in one fight and don't think anything of it unless I need a tail and didn't get the cut or something.

When on the ground should I be using the full chain+sickle combo or just be doing 3 sickle slashes and rolling? It seems like the swinging chain will often hit multiple parts on the large oni so maybe that evens out the greater damage on the sickle hits?
The 4th ranged sickle swing is fine as long as you remember to lock on. And instead of roll I would probably use the square + cross backstep.

In all honesty, I avoid the close range sickle ground attacks if possible. They are slow and not that strong. If I am out of stamina I'd rather just wait a moment to get it back, and if it is an opponent where air antics are risky, generally so is the slow melee chain- use the longer pokes. They don't seem to hit multiple parts I think (multiple separate enemies but each foe only once) and they're kinda weak but they are safer and, weirdly, faster.

At least, that is my experience using mostly Spirit and Space style mitama. I dunno if Attack or Deception would make the Triangle attacks suddenly useful. i doubt it, but I cannot say for sure.

• Locked thread