Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Mithaldu posted:

There's mainly one thing in the demo that really soured me on the game: Random drops that are completely disconnected from player skill.

In order to upgrade weapons loot is needed, however unlike Soul Sacrifice, where the loot obtained was purely based on player skill, in the demo it was all about beating the same critter again and again, hoping that it dropped the item with the right id. This was made worse by there being little opportunity to make running the missions faster, since most of the time was spent running from A to B, and some of the needed mobs only being once or thrice in any given mission.

How prevalent is this in the full game?

Similarly, does getting loot from bosses also depend on luck at all, or is that at least purely skill based?

Since it's so similar to Monster Hunter, I would assume that's how it's supposed to be. In Monster Hunter breaking a certain part off the monster increases your chance of getting a certain material, but it's never guaranteed.
That's how the game entices you to fight the bosses multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Emalde posted:

Also, gotta hand it to the guys who localized this, they know when to slip in something to help you understand the hilariously esoteric layer of Japanese Folklore: http://i.imgur.com/ioqSvmE.jpg (the other name listed there isn't in the spoken dialogue at all, it was added specifically to give western players a frame of reference)

ugh baka gaijin

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

PrinnySquadron posted:

Eventually got the trophy to pop for cutting all the part off an Oni. Did it on manhunter, who is huge pain the rear end because he kept running face-first into walls. Ended up taking about 5 tries.

What weapon did you use? Some weapons are better than others for breaking higher up parts. I didn't get the trophy my first time with long sword, but on my second fight against manhunter I used dual blades and it was pretty easy to break everything.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I'm a bit confused about some of the breaks on monsters. Like on Windshredder and Jollux, they have breakable horns, but when I break them there isn't a part that drops for me to purify as far as I can tell. If these parts don't drop anything then is there a point in breaking them other than getting the all breaks bonus reward?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Falcon2001 posted:

Wow. Just hit the pyrobird thing and man that was tough. I died for the first time actually, although not enough to fail the mission. Probably need to start paying closer attention to elemental stats.

The mission before I got to the Pyropteryx I had just picked up a Mitama that had an ability that prevents you from being set on fire (Extinguishment). Soon after starting the pyrobird fight I realized that I probably should have brought that Mitama with me.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Looks like there was an update today that added in the Cerberus crossover from Soul Sacrifice.

quote:

If you've been enjoying the simple delight of slaughtering hundreds of Oni since Toukiden: The Age of Demons released earlier this month, you'll be happy to know that publisher Tecmo Koei has more content for you to skewer in the works.
Starting today, you'll be able to download the title's latest 1.01 update, a small patch that adds in a couple of new multiplayer missions. The quests in question see you going toe to toe with a Soul Sacrifice-style monster, and apparently this isn't the only crossover content that the Japanese company has planned, stating on Twitter that more news on future downloads is coming soon. Something tells us that the upcoming hunts may not be free, though. Are you still slaying? Howl at us in the comments section below.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2014/02/slay_some_free_soul_sacrifice_style_dlc_with_the_latest_toukiden_update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Armor-Piercing posted:

Otherworldly Debris is safe to sell, right? It's the Ancient Coin of postgame?

Edit: Also, does anyone know what patronage value I need to hit gold? Is there anything higher than that?

Speaking of, does patronage ever become beneficial? So far it seems like it adds new materials to the shop, but they're never materials I don't already have an abundance of. And it seems like none of them have been necessary for crafting?
Does it ever add any weapons or armor later on or something?

• Locked thread