Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Great OP! Do you know the total number of large monsters in the game? I read somewhere that there were 13 and that each had a stronger palette swap, but the guy who posted that said it was info he gleaned using google translate.

Argas posted:

In many ways, Toukiden feels like a friendlier MH with some of the fiddlier bits (Good and bad) stripped out to ease the learning curve a little.

Hopefully they have something Gunlance-ish for the sequel because explosions are my favorite weapon.

It's very MH-esque while still being its own thing. Sharpness is not a thing, so that's one less thing to keep track of. There's no weapon holstered/weapon drawn stance and AFAIK, you don't use stamina faster when running away from a monster, so players have a lot more mobility options than in MH where there's various drawbacks to consider. No item usage/management is a nice change even though I'm very used to MH management. Although I very much love some of MH's fiddlier bits, it's still a great MH-esque game without them.

I really like how different the weapons are. I'm sure it'll probably get more weapons if Toukiden becomes a big franchise but right now, they've got everything covered. I also love the upwards mobility options because it means big monsters are much less a pain where you're nipping at their legs and prioritizing attacks with a ton of reach, so there probably won't be anything as annoying as cutting off Diablos' tail.

Based on the demo it feels the most Monster Huntery of all the Monster Hunter clones I've played. I'm glad their version of armor skills and useable items is vastly simplified because I've always thought that part of MH is a pain in the rear end.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Someone asked before but will go ahead and shoot again, how much content is in this thing and are the maps interesting enough?

I played MH3U as my first foray into the series and really loved it so was going for clones or things that felt similar. Ragnarok Odyssey sucked total rear end and I couldn't stand how boring it was and I enjoyed Soul Sacrifice but found it somewhat short (and the arena's while interesting felt to confined/lifeless to play in)

Just kinda nervous now about the hunting monsters genre as I don't wanna get a game and surprise there's only like 10 monsters.

There are 12 or 13 boss monsters, each with a palette swap, and 6 monster hunter sized-ish zones.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bussamove posted:

So yeah, Jollux. Was not expecting that particular turn of events.

I've also converted over to bow pretty much completely, fists got left in the dust when I did a marathon play session with a buddy of mine. They're neat and all, but having practically no vertical range when every oni so far has had breaks quite high up their bodies is a problem. Especially when they always fall on a particular part and it clips into the ground when they get knocked down. (Windshredder! :argh:)

The Kusarigama practically hard counters Jollux. There's barely anything he can do to you if you're flying around hacking at his head or spine ridge. The kusarigama is pretty awesome in general. Just lock on to a part, pop all your speed or attack abilities, turn on agility mode and that thing is coming off.

I feel like the difficulty has taken a sharp turn upwards with the 2 big monsters after Jollux. Which is a good thing, imo.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hymirvetr posted:

So, I just got this and played around a bit with the Kusarigama, and I have a question. Do I assume that you can grapple to certain bodyparts with it and it doesn't have the issue of limited reach height wise like some Weapons in Monster Hunter were prone to do? I really dig the moveset to be honest, the spear was also very nice if albeit a bit too groundbased.

When you hit a monster with your charged square attack you'll get pulled towards the spot you hit. You can do a three triangle combo in the air that does good damage. If you've activated agility mode you can hit square to grapple again and combo again until your stamina runs out or the monster swats you down. You can lock on to specific parts buy holding down square to charge your grapple then pressing L while the targeting reticle is over the part you want to attack. You can't just cling to the monster like in SotC or anything, but in stamina mode you can keep jumping to a part for a good while.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is it possible for people with the English version and the Japanese version to play MP together? When I set my region setting to all I just find no MP rooms whatsoever.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

dPB posted:

I'm trying to collect the mitama using this spreadsheet and I'm wondering if the drumble listed here is the normal drumble or is there some kind of pale drumble that I haven't found yet.

There is, you have to use the eye of truth to find it and it always seems to have a mitama. Check in boss arenas once the boss has gone to its second stage. There's an armor set which require 4 white snakeskins, what a pain! I've found 2 so far and they both dropped some other item.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lame Devil posted:

Although I've been playing and having fun with this game it seems significantly easier than monster hunter. Am I right or am I misremembering MH3G?

Way easier than MHFU but I don't find it much easier than 3 ultimate, unless you're comparing it to G rank.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bussamove posted:

Cthonian Fiend was also the first oni that I noticed regenerated his broken parts into different ones if you let him grow his arms back. How many others do that?

Terragrinder gets slightly different parts in his second stage, snake lady gets different snakes.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Where'd they come up with the monster name "Cimmerian King"? Maybe Toukiden Xtreme Legends will let you fight an Aquilonian King.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I've been using the kusarigama and I don't think I've ever not gotten all the breaks on the first try.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ADullMin posted:

I usually save my special for the back legs on that guy.

I think I've seen a video of something similar to G Rank later on, but I'm not actually that far yet.

Yeah, saving your destroyer for his back legs is definitely the way to go. The most pain in the rear end part to break in the game is the fire bird's breast plate, for my money. It's nearly impossible to hit during his first stage, so you want to save up a bow/spear/kusarigama destroyer for his second stage, but he spazzes around so violently you still have to get the timing perfect. You probably won't have time break it normally before just killing him.

Armor-Piercing posted:

When I'm upgrading a weapon, does it matter whether or not I fortify it before upgrading? I've got a Crimson Spear +2 that I can make into a Blueblaze Spear, but should I fortify it to +9 first, or does no benefit carry over?

Doesn't matter.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Space and luck feel almost like joke Mitamas to me. I'm the only person I've ever seen using either of them online. For space, the black hole seems like a worse shock trap and warp just doesn't seem very useful. The purifying area is nice but totally unnecessary. For luck, the random skill thing seems worse than having one consistent skill you actually want, the self buff is ok but I'd rather just have might from the attack mitama, and the team restore is probably only very useful when you're coordinating with teammates over voice chat.

If you want to play as a support you're probably best off going healing or deceit. That said it's a hunting game so damage to the monster will still be like 80% of your contribution, minimum. Spirit is good but I wouldn't consider it a support since all of it's abilities are just damage.

Speaking of spirit, does anyone know how its damage scales? I think it's based on your attack damage vs. the monster your fighting, my friend noticed that while using a wind weapon eruption didn't do poo poo to a windshredder but would bring a jollux's body parts from white to red.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ludicrous G. Gibs posted:

You can get skills, generally on Luck mitama, that influence the skills you get from the random skill thing. Pushing the random draw toward Attack, Deceit or Healing skills is actually really good since all the skills in those classes are useful and you get a lot of casts of the random skill thing. Between the team restore and Luck's passive ability to restore casts as you purify parts, you can average 25 to 30 shots per run if not more; a solid chunk of those will be usable if not necessarily exactly what you want right now. You can also get a skill that improves your results from the random skill thing, generally meaning you get more triangle and circle skills than square.

The problem with the passives that influence luck is 1) they're still not guaranteed and 2) you use passive slots to something another mitama could do without dedicating passives to it. I tried stacking a few of them and the most common result was "blank" aka literally nothing but it still goes on cooldown.

quote:

I got this the other day, and what I did notice about the Space-purification is that it's really fast. And since I've just fought my first Oni that can re-attach downed parts, getting them gone fast is a big plus.

Actually, all big oni can reattach parts. Some like the viper queen can do it really quickly, though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

dPB posted:

Also do you have any invincibility while dodging? I'm trying to dodge its aoe sweep where everything erupts (when it gets super angry) and nothing seems to work. Dodging towards him fails, backwards fails, it's like the only way to not be hit is to be out of range. Final complaint, why do spears not have a second wind weapon while other weapons sets do? Talking about the first tier 3 weapons.

Dodging does have some invincibility, and there are monster hunter style skills that increase its length.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Has anyone found a way to make those invisible drumble and floating skull variants spawn? I've found 2 of each but haven't seen any in like 20 hours of play time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

U.T. Raptor posted:

So far, I really like this game. It's like all the good parts of Monster Hunter with a bunch of quality of life improvements and without all the tedious grognard bullshit that plagues Monster Hunter games (or at least Freedom Unite, the only one I've played).

For what it's worth, the 3rd gen MH games go substantially easier on the tedious grognard bullshit. Not to the degree Toukiden does, though.

• Locked thread