Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Reive posted:

Here's a tip, both the right stick and d-pad control the camera, so if you want to be an archer use the dpad to aim instead of trying to do an inverse claw on the right stick, although they really should have just put bow aiming on the left trigger.

You can also initiate the attack, then hold R instead of the corresponding button and it will stay in the charge until you release it so you can use the right stick at your leisure. It didn't take me long to get used to it, and was really fluid once I got it down.

I couldn't get into Soul Sacrifice at all, and loved this from the get-go when I fired up the demo. It's really scratching that Monster Hunter itch, and both fists and bow feel so good to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I've got a question about effective bow use since the release date is right around the corner. What's the most effective shot to use to detonate curse arrows? I see in the OP it mentions fully charged square shots or the triple-nock, but I'm not entirely clear as to what I should prioritize when it comes to making things explode.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

dPB posted:

It's up now http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/game/ps-vita/toukiden-the-age-of-demons/698589

no mention of any pre order bonuses.

In the Demo the OP mentions 4 mitama to get. Where is the last one? Is it the one you find in the final mission of the demo but can never receive?

There's one you can receive from the Aurwings in the second map. I don't have my Vita handy but I think it's Sei Shonagon, a healer type.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

So yeah, Jollux. Was not expecting that particular turn of events.

I've also converted over to bow pretty much completely, fists got left in the dust when I did a marathon play session with a buddy of mine. They're neat and all, but having practically no vertical range when every oni so far has had breaks quite high up their bodies is a problem. Especially when they always fall on a particular part and it clips into the ground when they get knocked down. (Windshredder! :argh:)

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

After swimming in the drat things and stupidly selling them all during the demo, I can't for the life of me get a Pointed Vajra now that I actually need one. Stupid Oka and get stupid requests. :argh:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Lame Devil posted:

Although I've been playing and having fun with this game it seems significantly easier than monster hunter. Am I right or am I misremembering MH3G?

I haven't fought everything quite yet, but it's a good deal easier so far than most MH games for sure. The only real hiccups I've had were Bladewing and Cthonian Fiend, just because I wasn't prepared for how much damage they could pump out in a short amount of time. Both were solved by crafting some armor that resisted their elements and being a little smarter in how I played.

Cthonian Fiend was also the first oni that I noticed regenerated his broken parts into different ones if you let him grow his arms back. How many others do that?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

Terragrinder gets slightly different parts in his second stage, snake lady gets different snakes.

Yeah, a few do that, but this was the first I saw where it went "you didn't purify the part, now it's different". That's kind of a neat mechanic I'd like to see expanded on.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ludwig van Halen posted:

What weapon did you use? Some weapons are better than others for breaking higher up parts. I didn't get the trophy my first time with long sword, but on my second fight against manhunter I used dual blades and it was pretty easy to break everything.

Dual Blades and Bow are super easy to get all breaks with. Sickle would be too if you can get it down, but it just doesn't click for me so I stick to the other two.

Another plus of DB is that its weapon gauge move boomerangs back to you, so if you miss on the initial attack you can still hit them on the return. I've had to do that more often than I care to admit. :v:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

I've been using the kusarigama and I don't think I've ever not gotten all the breaks on the first try.

Terragrinder is my white whale when it comes to getting breaks. When he gets to his second form it's a real pain getting his back legs.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I'm a bit confused about some of the breaks on monsters. Like on Windshredder and Jollux, they have breakable horns, but when I break them there isn't a part that drops for me to purify as far as I can tell. If these parts don't drop anything then is there a point in breaking them other than getting the all breaks bonus reward?

I believe the cosmetic breaks give you parts under the "minor break bonus" part of the rewards screen.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Falcon2001 posted:

Wow. Just hit the pyrobird thing and man that was tough. I died for the first time actually, although not enough to fail the mission. Probably need to start paying closer attention to elemental stats.

Pyroteryx is the first oni that really deals a whole lot of elemental damage, yeah. After that Steelwing is another that kicks it up a notch and hammers it into your head that you should be wearing earth resistant gear against it. Of course there's always the old adage of "just don't get hit" when it comes to hunting games, but that can only go so far.

Teryx is also a case of the second form being much, much easier than the first because he stops doing the firespin and firewalk(with me) in favor of being Dhalsim.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Do passive Mitama bonuses stack with each other? Like if I have two Mitama with Attack Level 1, will I get a bonus from both, or just once and the second is overwritten? I'm finally getting to the point in the main story where I can really start customizing their skills, and I need to know just how min-maxy I can be.

Edit: Decided to test it out for myself and equip some with multiple Stamina Level 2 and compared health with both, one, and neither, it looks like they do indeed stack with each other. So if anyone else was wondering, there it is!

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 22, 2014

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I haven't tested it with chain and sickle, but while you're aiming with bow you can hold down R and release square to use the right stick without any need to use The Claw. I assume since they're doing the same basic thing that it would work. No more MHFU flashbacks!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

scissorman posted:

Now that it seems that some of you have finished the game's story, what weapons did you prefer?

I'm mainly using Short Swords now but I started with the bow; I switched after I found that the bow's damage output just isn't that great, which was a problem in solo missions.
However, I just killed my first Viper Queen and I noticed that some spots are really hard to reach even if you use the jump; additionally, sometimes the camera makes dodging the larger attacks almost impossible.
So I'm considering switching back to the bow and I'd like to ask if you use just one strong bow or do you maintain multiple bows to target elemental weaknesses?

I always keep a good selection of elemental weapons handy. It's not very hard at all to get all the bits you need for your weapons of choice, and it makes a pretty rainbow in your equipment chest.

The only weapons I've been neglecting are the status ailment ones, because I can never seem to get them to go off even when I have Affliction mitama equipped.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Boinks posted:

I just finished chapter 3 and I haven't seen any Goldentalons yet. Anyone know where they show up?

Most "rare" small oni will spawn once you clear our their smaller versions in an area, then either wait or change areas and then back. I had Goldtalons pop up in the first mission involving tengu, but I had to bounce between areas a couple times to get them to show up.

Edit God dammit Belzac you even put quotes around rare faster than I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yo can I get some advice for Terragrinder? Just got to his singleplayer mission and he kept one shotting me once he went crazy and I spent a good 15 minutes just following him around trying to punch him getting mad as hell.

What armor/mitama are you using? Terragrinder shouldn't really be one-shotting you if you have decent armor, Jollux is a good option but I'm not sure how much the increased earth resistance will help as I don't know how much of Terragrinder's stuff is considered earth damage. Other than that I recommend a Spirit main mitama for him, if you get one of his back legs targeted and get a full charge Eruption off on it it's usually enough to break the part and bring him to the surface to let you start breaking the others. As someone else said, if you get enough of his legs broke he'll flop around on the ground after a jump instead of diving back underground immediately. If you're only having trouble with the damage and not with actually hitting him, a Speed mitama might be better so you can eat his attacks with Agility/dodge cancel out of the way more effectively, then Vigor+Flurry him to paste. Bring Hayatori as well, the stun traps he throws down help a lot. He's my ninjabro in most fights.

• Locked thread