Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Surprisingly, the new Jason Friedberg-Aaron Seltzer flick, Best Night Ever, has one. The rest of the movie is pretty lovely (but not quite as lovely as, I imagine, Meet the Spartans or Vampires Suck or Epic Movie), but there is that one moving scene: a bride-to-be is freaking out because she's hiding from the cops in a dumpster with her three bridesmaids, and her best friend quietly sings her favorite song from childhood -- 4 Non Blondes' "What's Up" -- to calm her down. Gradually, the other three join in. And then Friedberg and Seltzer ruin this neat little moment in the worst way imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
The scene from Shallow Hal where he sees the burns victim girl for the first time since the spell on him has been lifted. Hits me like a train.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Linus Balto posted:

In 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' when they visit the museum.

The whole scene in the garage at the end, when Cameron has meltdown and kills the car. "He and I will just have a little chat."

DrVenkman posted:

It's totally ridiculous but in Freddy Vs Jason there's one death that the movie sort of slows down to acknowledge. It's a strange moment since most of the deaths in the movie are just done without regard and tossed aside except for that one.

When the geeky kid slowly bleeds out in the woods, after getting thrown into something sharp? Yeah, you're right about that, especially considering the insanity of the next few scenes.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Justin Godscock posted:

That's why a lot of people give Forever a pass and push all the hate onto B&R, I think. Well, not so much a pass but are light on criticism. You can tell Schumacher had plans for some dark exploration (and early drafts indicate that) and you see fragments of it like Bruce Wayne explaining to Robin why revenge will destroy him ("You'll just find another face, and another...") and the Red Book subplot but then you get stuff like the Batmobile driving up walls and Bruce Wayne surviving a literal fireball by caping-up and pushing a button. It's known that WB wanted a kids-friendly movie after Batman Returns scared little kids with McDonalds axing the Happy Meal promotion so I believe it was a tug-of-war between Schumacher and WB with WB winning in the end.

But, yeah, I agree with you that Forever had some pretty poignant moments. I was 10 when I saw it in theatres and I remember Bruce Wayne's argument against revenge to Robin leaving a very lasting impact on me.

It's also kind of funny in that you had fleeting moments where both Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones put in actual non-retarded performances as their characters. Carrey in basically everything before Nigma actually became Riddler, Jones in that brief monologue at the beginning. Then it's like a parade of WB execs ran past the set yelling "ZANY, ZANY, WE WON'T SELL ANY TOYS WITH THIS ACTING STUFF!"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-fMcpBS4X0

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The kid throwing himself on the grenade in that one Chucky movie.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

zVxTeflon posted:

Oooh, yeah, that's a good one. Hell, all of the Child's Play sequels are unnecessarily/unexpectedly good, but Child's Play 3 -- the last film before Child's Play went all-out meta-comedy -- has its moments.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Coffee And Pie posted:

When the geeky kid slowly bleeds out in the woods, after getting thrown into something sharp? Yeah, you're right about that, especially considering the insanity of the next few scenes.

That's the one. I remember him being a likeable character/actor so that probably helps. I just remember thinking that it didn't really belong.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

heytallman posted:

Wes Anderson tends to have somewhat sad, thoughtful scenes in his films, which otherwise tend to be pretty silly. The first one that came to mind is in Moonrise Kingdom Where Captain Sharp and Sam are eating dinner in Sharp's trailer and Sam asks "Have you loved someone ever?". At the time in the film when it happens, it's just so perfect.

Dude, Richie's suicide attempt in The Royal Tenenbaums. The soundtrack really pushes it past the Anderson trademark smug twee-ness. Blew me away first time I saw the film and is I think the only scene that really stuck to me.

KevinCow
Oct 24, 2009
I just got back from The Lego Movie. It's silly as hell, then the third act comes out of nowhere and does this. It's... really hard to explain at all concisely, but essentially it transitions to this live action bit between a kid and his dad, and the whole movie is sort of a metaphor for how the kid sees their relationship. For the final confrontation, the dad asks what the hero would say to the villain, and the kid/hero gives a bit of a touching monologue to the dad/villain.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Nitevision posted:

Dude, Richie's suicide attempt in The Royal Tenenbaums. The soundtrack really pushes it past the Anderson trademark smug twee-ness. Blew me away first time I saw the film and is I think the only scene that really stuck to me.

Royal Tenenbaums is a fairly serious movie with a healthy does of comedy balancing things out. The suicide attempt is hard to watch, but the part that makes me emotional is the end when Chaz and Royal finally become friends. It's not sad or serious, but it's for me the film's emotional peak.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I hate this movie for this scene from the darkest pits of my soul. Why the hell am I crying at an Adam Sandler movie. This movie doesn't deserve this.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Triskelli posted:

I hate this movie for this scene from the darkest pits of my soul. Why the hell am I crying at an Adam Sandler movie. This movie doesn't deserve this.

On the Sandler Spectrum, I would say Click is probably closer to The Wedding Singer than to Jack and Jill, so don't feel too bad.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

britishbornandbread posted:

The scene from Shallow Hal where he sees the burns victim girl for the first time since the spell on him has been lifted. Hits me like a train.

Oh, good one. Much as the Farrelly brothers can be hit or miss, they have a way of utilizing people who are physically or mentally handicapped in their movies without it being either insensitive or pandering, which is rare.

Keanu Grieves posted:

Surprisingly, the new Jason Friedberg-Aaron Seltzer flick, Best Night Ever, has one. The rest of the movie is pretty lovely (but not quite as lovely as, I imagine, Meet the Spartans or Vampires Suck or Epic Movie), but there is that one moving scene: a bride-to-be is freaking out because she's hiding from the cops in a dumpster with her three bridesmaids, and her best friend quietly sings her favorite song from childhood -- 4 Non Blondes' "What's Up" -- to calm her down. Gradually, the other three join in. And then Friedberg and Seltzer ruin this neat little moment in the worst way imaginable.

I'm morbidly curious. Do they all vomit on each other or get diarrhea? One of them farts? A pile of used diapers gets dumped in with them?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

davidspackage posted:

I'm morbidly curious. Do they all vomit on each other or get diarrhea? One of them farts? A pile of used diapers gets dumped in with them?
It's shot with a nightvision filter and after they hit the third verse, they realize a bum's in the dumpster with them when he joins in. It's ugly.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

zVxTeflon posted:

What makes it more poignant is that it takes place in a military school and the kid was derided as an absolute failure who could never be a man OR a soldier. Yet when push came to shove, he ended up embodying every single concept of both to its purest.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I like the speech Matt Damon gives in the Adjustment Bureau. I stopped watching it after it started being about angels with magical fedoras, but I loved that one scene.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The ending of Repo! The Genetic Opera was shockingly really touching. I mean, it's just so over the top and silly until then. And then you get Giles and Shilo patching up their relationship and realizing just how much they need each other as father/daughter, just in time for him to bleed out and die. That's a genuine punch in the gut in the last movie I'd expect to find it in.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Bubba Ho-Tep is a very silly movie, but as it progresses it takes on a very serious theme for its main character (Elvis). Presley finds himself as a fraudulent man, someone who is celebrated as this great legend for an image that he does not feel that he lives up to. The film is about his journey of living up to and even surpassing that image (By fighting an evil mummy).

It all culminates with an ending that has the right mix of being earnest and silly to feel poignant. All is well.

Timeless Appeal has a new favorite as of 19:13 on Feb 9, 2014

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Bubba Ho-Tep is also a very serious look at aging and the way we treat the elderly.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

TrixRabbi posted:

Bubba Ho-Tep is also a very serious look at aging and the way we treat the elderly.

Yeah it's interesting that the most honest, focused and empathetic movie I've seen on these topics is a flick about elderly Elvis and black JFK fighting a mummy that has either a dick joke or a poop joke every ten minutes. That's the magic of genre.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Coffee And Pie posted:

On the Sandler Spectrum, I would say Click is probably closer to The Wedding Singer than to Jack and Jill, so don't feel too bad.

How does this forum have a thread about how Michel Bay may be a secret genius but nothing about how Sandler probably actually is a legitimately smart, emotional, guy who realized early that poop and silly voices sell way better?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

How does this forum have a thread about how Michel Bay may be a secret genius but nothing about how Sandler probably actually is a legitimately smart, emotional, guy who realized early that poop and silly voices sell way better?
The point of the Michael Bay stuff is because his movies are actually interesting and worth watching with a little care. What does this re-interpretation of Sandler do? It's not like someone should be lauded for making garbage in exchange for money.

I also don't think anyone thinks Sandler is incompetent, so what you're positing is probably the mainstream opinion.

No Wave has a new favorite as of 04:59 on Feb 10, 2014

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Because all the stuff he's actually written is nothing but poop jokes and racist stereotypes and just bad juvenile humor.

No Wave posted:

The point of the Michael Bay stuff is because his movies are actually interesting and worth watching with a little care. What does this re-interpretation of Sandler do? It's not like someone should be lauded for making garbage in exchange for money.

By his own admission, Michael Bay makes movies for teenage boys with all the shallowness that that entails. This forums infatuation with his lovely movies is something I will never understand.

Yaws has a new favorite as of 05:05 on Feb 10, 2014

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Tatum Girlparts posted:

That's been my theory for years. Then again, I liked Funny People.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Coffee And Pie posted:

That's been my theory for years. Then again, I liked Funny People.

I think Funny People was, like, two good movies and a kind of mediocre movie crammed unceremoniously together.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
In The Sixth Man, Marlon Wayans and Kadeem Hardison are brothers and stars on the University of Washington's basketball team. The first act is about Kadeem Hardison's character dying on the court and Marlon Wayans' character getting completely lost in the ether. Amid the grief, Marlon Wayans gives this heartbreaking speech to an empty gym about how much he misses his brother and how it's tearing him apart. Wayans actually delivers on the speech, too. (Unfortunately, not available on YouTube). It's one of the few scenes that ever made me tear up in a theater.

And then his brother comes back as a ghost and they win the NCAA championship.

It's a masterpiece.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

In The Croods ... during a silly Pixar movie....
The Croods is not a Pixar movie.

Just wanted to point that out.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Edit: Never mind, somebody else beat me to the punch regarding Funny People (which I also liked).

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Armond White has made the case that Sandler's stuff is legitimately good a couple of times.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=praFGD51ih8

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Brings a tear to my eye every time.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The movie was Cyborg 2. Protagonist Colton and robo-woman Cash falls in love and they fight the bad guys including Billy Drago. The final scene was Colton and Cash house in the middle of nowhere and he just finished planting a coconut tree. Then it fast forwards decades later where Colton is an old man sitting in front of the same house, the tree now towering above it. He's shivering and Cash, not aging a day, comes out of door and puts a blanket around him. They cuddle together as the camera zooms away and the credits role. It was an incredibly touching scene after all the action that came before it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Rango isn't totally silly, but I love the viciousness of the first Rattlesnake Jake and Rango confrontation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut-RudZv_YQ
(First scene here)

It actually takes the time to take the lead to task for what he's done, no holds barred. Love it.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I'm surprised nobody has said Bruce Willis' death at the end of Armageddon especially since that one guy brought up Michael Bay. Here we have a mindless action movie with a shaky premise that would piss the every-loving gently caress off of everyone on Reddit (they like their science over there) and cause the Internet to meltdown as a result yet that one scene at the end was actually well done and just sad.

I too think that Bay is a lot smarter than we give him credit for because he seems to understand what his strengths and weaknesses are. The one time he tried to do something he couldn't handle, Pearl Harbor, it failed and he never tried to do it again. The guy has been in Hollywood for almost 20 years now, has one flop to his credit (The Island, Pearl Harbor made money despite being a mess) which is amazing in this industry. There was a lot of hate for the man on this forum especially after Transformers 2 (which even Bay admits was a mess literally filmed without a script) but CD seems to understand where he's coming from now. He has strengths in really exciting action and some of the pure excesses in his films are just insane to experience. But, aside from that, he actually showed a knack for dark comedy even if it's poo poo that makes some people uncomfortable. Bad Boys 2 was a huge goon favorite (probably still is) because of the really morbidly dark comedy that was spliced into the film. Even Pain & Gain had a lot of people talking on CD with some wondering if he was the second coming of Paul Verhoeven with his dark commentary on society in that film.

Also, I think the reason why nobody really likes Adam Sandler anymore is the guy seems to be the one who stops trying after he hits it big. Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore still hold up (if you like silly humor) but lately the guy has been phoning it in bad relying on easy juvenile humor and stereotypes instead of carefully lacing them into his films. It was the same deal with SNL where he was great at first, then you watch his final season and he clearly stopped trying which is why he (and others) got fired during the 1995 purge.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
People always forget 50 First Dates when they talk about Adam Sandler. And that movie absolutely fits this thread. I think it's a legitimately good movie and an almost perfect romantic comedy in that it appeals to fans of both silly humor and sappy romance. I find the movie so drat charming. It's not perfect, but to me it's Sandler's best work.

That scene where Drew Barrymore decides to burn her diary is pretty heartbreaking.

Also, Mr. Deeds is no Billy Madison but I'd argue it's at least as good as Happy Gilmore. None of them are exactly high brow comedy, but neither are they phoned-in poo poo like some of his work lately.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Mahoning posted:

Also, Mr. Deeds is no Billy Madison but I'd argue it's at least as good as Happy Gilmore. None of them are exactly high brow comedy, but neither are they phoned-in poo poo like some of his work lately.

I'd argue Deeds and 50 First Dates are Sandler's last real attempts at comedy. It really does feel like he figured "Zany sells!", tried to make some kind of balance between that and actual acting (even through Big Daddy), and then realized acting's for chumps.

If his 'Drama' career is Punch-Drunk, Spanglish, Reign Over Me, Funny People, then it's been 7 years since his last attempt at it. Meanwhile from 50 First Dates, a decade ago, he's done Click, Chuck & Larry, Zohan, Grown Ups (1&2), Just Go With It, Jack and Jill, That's My Boy. That's a pretty depressing decade of phone-it-in comedy.

More on topic, are there many silly movies that don't have some attempt at a poignant scene? It feels as though it's a staple of the genre. A Boy and His Dog is almost an entire movie of this, but I could name scenes from A Goofy Movie through to Men in Black that pull decent attempts at this. Perhaps not movies like FDR: American Badass and Sharknado...

Atoramos has a new favorite as of 15:59 on Feb 13, 2014

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I think the argument is that in most movies it doesn't really come across as actually poignant but instead the movie turning the chair around, putting one leg up on it, and saying "we've all had fun here today, but let's actually do the plot for a little bit"

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Atoramos posted:

I'd argue Deeds and 50 First Dates are Sandler's last real attempts at comedy. It really does feel like he figured "Zany sells!", tried to make some kind of balance between that and actual acting (even through Big Daddy), and then realized acting's for chumps.

If his 'Drama' career is Punch-Drunk, Spanglish, Reign Over Me, Funny People, then it's been 7 years since his last attempt at it. Meanwhile from 50 First Dates, a decade ago, he's done Click, Chuck & Larry, Zohan, Grown Ups (1&2), Just Go With It, Jack and Jill, That's My Boy. That's a pretty depressing decade of phone-it-in comedy.

More on topic, are there many silly movies that don't have some attempt at a poignant scene? It feels as though it's a staple of the genre. A Boy and His Dog is almost an entire movie of this, but I could name scenes from A Goofy Movie through to Men in Black that pull decent attempts at this. Perhaps not movies like FDR: American Badass and Sharknado...

I think you're selling Click short, because that was definitely an attempt at being taken seriously. There's a real emotional message at the end, even if it's a pretty simple one. It's clear he's trying to make something genuine there. But from Chuck & Larry onwards it's all downhill.

Also, Funny People was 2009. So five years. And he was actually offered the role of the Bear Jew in Inglourious Basterds but had to turn it down due to scheduling conflicts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

TrixRabbi posted:

Also, Funny People was 2009. So five years. And he was actually offered the role of the Bear Jew in Inglourious Basterds but had to turn it down due to scheduling conflicts.

Oh, man. If there's one director that could get a great performance out of Sandler, it's Quentin Tarantino.

• Locked thread