Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If you've never seen Monster Squad, think of it as a bargain-bin Goonies--and I mean that with a lot of affection. It's a silly romp where these kids team up to fight Dracula and all his Universal Studios friends: Wolfman, Frankenstein's monster, the mummy, and--uh--Creature (the Black Lagoon part was under copyright, I guess). It's full of stupid poo poo with these kids trying to beat Dracula (secret civilian identity: Dr. Acula) with madcap antics and dynamite and stuff. It's everything a 10-year-old could ask for in a movie. The Creature steals a little girl's twinkie. There's a character named Fat Kid. They burn Dracula with a piece of garlic bread. This movie's dumb and knows it. Here's its most famous scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqeMe3X884o

Yet halfway through the movie they find a book of magic spells that can banish Dracula and his monsters. The book is in German, so they go see this old German man who lives in their neighborhood. He helps the kids by translating the book and one of them says, "gee mister, you sure do know a lot about monsters!" He replies by looking thoughtful or a second and then says grimly, "yes, I suppose I do know a lot about monsters" while the camera pans down to his arm and reveals a concentration camp identification tattoo, showing that he escaped the Holocaust.

It's so weird because like so many of the scenes mentioned here it has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the movie. I really only mention it because I saw the movie when I was 10 and didn't know what the tattoo meant. I spent the rest of the movie wondering if it meant that he was some kind of wizard and waiting for him to bust out some magic to save the kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread