Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
People always forget 50 First Dates when they talk about Adam Sandler. And that movie absolutely fits this thread. I think it's a legitimately good movie and an almost perfect romantic comedy in that it appeals to fans of both silly humor and sappy romance. I find the movie so drat charming. It's not perfect, but to me it's Sandler's best work.

That scene where Drew Barrymore decides to burn her diary is pretty heartbreaking.

Also, Mr. Deeds is no Billy Madison but I'd argue it's at least as good as Happy Gilmore. None of them are exactly high brow comedy, but neither are they phoned-in poo poo like some of his work lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Franz von Dada posted:

And under good direction. Paul Thomas Anderson is so good with actors that even if you didn't like his films otherwise, you couldn't deny the fact that the acting in his movies are ALWAYS top-notch.

I would argue that PT Anderson's films focus less on plot and more on character. Because of the lack of "A then B then C then...." hand-holding that most mainstream films strive for, many people are turned off by his films. I LOVE them though. He's got that Kubrick-esque quality of transfixing the viewer. You don't always know why you're watching but you can't look away.

• Locked thread