Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Fun fact about that Gremlins bit, it almost didn't make it into the film. The execs wanted to cut it because they weren't sure if it was supposed to be funny or sad. Joe Dante fought tooth and nail to keep it in because he felt it perfectly summed up the film in one note - a mix of comedy and horror. Spielberg (who produced) wasn't a big fan of the scene either, but he felt it was Dante's film and backed him up, which led to the execs allowing him to keep it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Nitevision posted:

Dude, Richie's suicide attempt in The Royal Tenenbaums. The soundtrack really pushes it past the Anderson trademark smug twee-ness. Blew me away first time I saw the film and is I think the only scene that really stuck to me.

Royal Tenenbaums is a fairly serious movie with a healthy does of comedy balancing things out. The suicide attempt is hard to watch, but the part that makes me emotional is the end when Chaz and Royal finally become friends. It's not sad or serious, but it's for me the film's emotional peak.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Bubba Ho-Tep is also a very serious look at aging and the way we treat the elderly.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Atoramos posted:

I'd argue Deeds and 50 First Dates are Sandler's last real attempts at comedy. It really does feel like he figured "Zany sells!", tried to make some kind of balance between that and actual acting (even through Big Daddy), and then realized acting's for chumps.

If his 'Drama' career is Punch-Drunk, Spanglish, Reign Over Me, Funny People, then it's been 7 years since his last attempt at it. Meanwhile from 50 First Dates, a decade ago, he's done Click, Chuck & Larry, Zohan, Grown Ups (1&2), Just Go With It, Jack and Jill, That's My Boy. That's a pretty depressing decade of phone-it-in comedy.

More on topic, are there many silly movies that don't have some attempt at a poignant scene? It feels as though it's a staple of the genre. A Boy and His Dog is almost an entire movie of this, but I could name scenes from A Goofy Movie through to Men in Black that pull decent attempts at this. Perhaps not movies like FDR: American Badass and Sharknado...

I think you're selling Click short, because that was definitely an attempt at being taken seriously. There's a real emotional message at the end, even if it's a pretty simple one. It's clear he's trying to make something genuine there. But from Chuck & Larry onwards it's all downhill.

Also, Funny People was 2009. So five years. And he was actually offered the role of the Bear Jew in Inglourious Basterds but had to turn it down due to scheduling conflicts.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

Oh, man. If there's one director that could get a great performance out of Sandler, it's Quentin Tarantino.

Have you seen Punch-Drunk Love?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I really want to see Adam Sandler play a mass murderer, a dictator, or a cannibal or something similarly vile with the exact same mannerisms as his comedic persona.

I despise everything he's ever done but that alone would make up for it.

TrixRabbi posted:

Have you seen Punch-Drunk Love?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

It seems like Adam Sandler makes movies today as an excuse to take his friends on vacation.

He's been a rich guy in nearly every one of his movies for the last few years, because that lets him just do whatever without explaining it.

To be fair, it's probably more honest than trying to pretend he's still some poor bachelor schlub. He's been far removed from that lifestyle for a long time now, so making cheesy comedies about being a rich guy with young children is probably the truest expression of who he is.

• Locked thread