Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Justin Godscock posted:

That's why a lot of people give Forever a pass and push all the hate onto B&R, I think. Well, not so much a pass but are light on criticism. You can tell Schumacher had plans for some dark exploration (and early drafts indicate that) and you see fragments of it like Bruce Wayne explaining to Robin why revenge will destroy him ("You'll just find another face, and another...") and the Red Book subplot but then you get stuff like the Batmobile driving up walls and Bruce Wayne surviving a literal fireball by caping-up and pushing a button. It's known that WB wanted a kids-friendly movie after Batman Returns scared little kids with McDonalds axing the Happy Meal promotion so I believe it was a tug-of-war between Schumacher and WB with WB winning in the end.

But, yeah, I agree with you that Forever had some pretty poignant moments. I was 10 when I saw it in theatres and I remember Bruce Wayne's argument against revenge to Robin leaving a very lasting impact on me.

It's also kind of funny in that you had fleeting moments where both Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones put in actual non-retarded performances as their characters. Carrey in basically everything before Nigma actually became Riddler, Jones in that brief monologue at the beginning. Then it's like a parade of WB execs ran past the set yelling "ZANY, ZANY, WE WON'T SELL ANY TOYS WITH THIS ACTING STUFF!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The ending of Repo! The Genetic Opera was shockingly really touching. I mean, it's just so over the top and silly until then. And then you get Giles and Shilo patching up their relationship and realizing just how much they need each other as father/daughter, just in time for him to bleed out and die. That's a genuine punch in the gut in the last movie I'd expect to find it in.

• Locked thread