Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I love The Wizard, although I would never call it a good movie. Anyway, the ending with the Cabazon Dinosaurs really got to me, when you realize how much this poor, withdrawn kid misses his sister. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Vargo posted:

This thread is pretty PYF-ey, but I like it, so I'm gonna let it live for a bit.

To contribute, John Candy's "Genuine article" speech in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles intercut with Steve Martin's face in response is one of my favorite examples.
I can't believe I didn't think of this scene in my favorite movie of all time.

That scene hits me in particular because you can tell both John Candy and Steve Martin play themselves. John Candy's gregarious, goodhearted Del Griffith and Steve Martin's intelligent but withdrawn Neal Page feel like they come directly from the actors' real lives. I don't even feel like John Candy acted when he gave that speech.

I hated the episode of Family Guy where Peter "spoofed" the film by reciting that scene. Like virtually everything else about Family Guy, it felt like something between plagiarism and half-assed filler.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Franz von Dada posted:

And under good direction. Paul Thomas Anderson is so good with actors that even if you didn't like his films otherwise, you couldn't deny the fact that the acting in his movies are ALWAYS top-notch.
I haven't liked every PTA film I've seen, but I'd agree with this. But then, I also think actors are only as good as their director's ability to facilitate their work.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Tender Bender posted:

His "costumes" in those movies are the same shorts-and-tshirt that he wears everywhere in real life, as well. Dude is just that lazy.
I can't really fault this because I'd probably do the exact same thing in that situation.

• Locked thread