Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Mahoning posted:

Also, Mr. Deeds is no Billy Madison but I'd argue it's at least as good as Happy Gilmore. None of them are exactly high brow comedy, but neither are they phoned-in poo poo like some of his work lately.

I'd argue Deeds and 50 First Dates are Sandler's last real attempts at comedy. It really does feel like he figured "Zany sells!", tried to make some kind of balance between that and actual acting (even through Big Daddy), and then realized acting's for chumps.

If his 'Drama' career is Punch-Drunk, Spanglish, Reign Over Me, Funny People, then it's been 7 years since his last attempt at it. Meanwhile from 50 First Dates, a decade ago, he's done Click, Chuck & Larry, Zohan, Grown Ups (1&2), Just Go With It, Jack and Jill, That's My Boy. That's a pretty depressing decade of phone-it-in comedy.

More on topic, are there many silly movies that don't have some attempt at a poignant scene? It feels as though it's a staple of the genre. A Boy and His Dog is almost an entire movie of this, but I could name scenes from A Goofy Movie through to Men in Black that pull decent attempts at this. Perhaps not movies like FDR: American Badass and Sharknado...

Atoramos has a new favorite as of 15:59 on Feb 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread