Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Cyra posted:

Batman Forever had one or two of these. You have well done scenes like the death of Robin's family or Bruce being tormented by his past and his meetings with Chase, and then the movie radically shifts tones back to the Tommy Lee and Jim Carrey variety hour. It's a very surreal film punctuated with some glimpses of genuinely good material.

That's why a lot of people give Forever a pass and push all the hate onto B&R, I think. Well, not so much a pass but are light on criticism. You can tell Schumacher had plans for some dark exploration (and early drafts indicate that) and you see fragments of it like Bruce Wayne explaining to Robin why revenge will destroy him ("You'll just find another face, and another...") and the Red Book subplot but then you get stuff like the Batmobile driving up walls and Bruce Wayne surviving a literal fireball by caping-up and pushing a button. It's known that WB wanted a kids-friendly movie after Batman Returns scared little kids with McDonalds axing the Happy Meal promotion so I believe it was a tug-of-war between Schumacher and WB with WB winning in the end.

But, yeah, I agree with you that Forever had some pretty poignant moments. I was 10 when I saw it in theatres and I remember Bruce Wayne's argument against revenge to Robin leaving a very lasting impact on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I'm surprised nobody has said Bruce Willis' death at the end of Armageddon especially since that one guy brought up Michael Bay. Here we have a mindless action movie with a shaky premise that would piss the every-loving gently caress off of everyone on Reddit (they like their science over there) and cause the Internet to meltdown as a result yet that one scene at the end was actually well done and just sad.

I too think that Bay is a lot smarter than we give him credit for because he seems to understand what his strengths and weaknesses are. The one time he tried to do something he couldn't handle, Pearl Harbor, it failed and he never tried to do it again. The guy has been in Hollywood for almost 20 years now, has one flop to his credit (The Island, Pearl Harbor made money despite being a mess) which is amazing in this industry. There was a lot of hate for the man on this forum especially after Transformers 2 (which even Bay admits was a mess literally filmed without a script) but CD seems to understand where he's coming from now. He has strengths in really exciting action and some of the pure excesses in his films are just insane to experience. But, aside from that, he actually showed a knack for dark comedy even if it's poo poo that makes some people uncomfortable. Bad Boys 2 was a huge goon favorite (probably still is) because of the really morbidly dark comedy that was spliced into the film. Even Pain & Gain had a lot of people talking on CD with some wondering if he was the second coming of Paul Verhoeven with his dark commentary on society in that film.

Also, I think the reason why nobody really likes Adam Sandler anymore is the guy seems to be the one who stops trying after he hits it big. Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore still hold up (if you like silly humor) but lately the guy has been phoning it in bad relying on easy juvenile humor and stereotypes instead of carefully lacing them into his films. It was the same deal with SNL where he was great at first, then you watch his final season and he clearly stopped trying which is why he (and others) got fired during the 1995 purge.

• Locked thread