Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Aw yes. I am pumped for more sweet Uncharted action.

I wonder if anyone still has a Jeffatar from the last LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I really didn't care for this game. The plot goes nowhere and the difficulty seemed to really spike in some places. Most of the game I just breezed through and then in a few sections I just died over and over.

Also there is an entire chapter that is just completely pointless. If it wasn't for the sheer production values (it's a really impressive sequence) and the fact that I played the game on launch, you could tell me the entire chapter was DLC and I'd believe you.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Always glad to see these Uncharted LPs because gently caress owning a PS3 it's way too late for that poo poo.

Plus drat look at all these collectables :allears:

AeroCmdr
Aug 28, 2008

Come on you apes,
you wanna live forever?
Excited to see this up already! I remember really looking forward to 3 but then after finishing it in, just kind of having a bad taste in my mouth and not liking what I had just played even though I was a huge fan of the previous installments.

I'm really looking forward to seeing it from a different perspective a few years later!

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
I hope that young Drake has a Donut Drake model if that's in Uncharted 3.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
So Chip, you plan to do an offshoot of "Unearthed: Tales of Ibn Battuta," the totally not-a-ripoff of Uncharted with far worse...everything?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Roman Reigns posted:

Same here. It also coincides with this being the third entry in the series.

Let's hope there's not an uncharted 4.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oh man this started way earlier then I thought.

I bought the collectors edition of this game when it was released so I was pretty psyched for it. Imagine how crushed I was when the game wasn't that good. So many plot holes :negative:

Reeckensall
Sep 27, 2012

When I broke bad
I never knew 'bout all this trouble I would have...
Been looking forward to this for a while after seeing your last two Uncharted LPs, I've owned all three Uncharted games for what seems like forever, but never managed to play through any of them myself because I keep making the mistake of buying refurbished fat PS3s and having them break after a couple of weeks rather than just getting a slim, so I've got to rely on your LPs for my dose of Sully.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

That's not what London looks like, Naughty Dog! (obviously, but it's still strange why designers still do it) The only way it wasn't stereotypical is some of the guys were wearing hoodies instead of top hats, drinking tea (scots drink beer ya see), etc, etc. As a British man it ruffles my iron pressed flag printed jimmies to see such preposterous portrayals, pip pip! :britain:

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!
I think Charlie Cutter is actually one of the best written characters in this series. Just going to put that out there now.

Also, I think this is the game where they decided to just do everything they like to do with Sully in the first hour: Pretend to kill him, drink alot, hit on a woman, probably have sex with that woman off screen, make dirty jokes and grow a mustache.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Oh boy, let the Sully jokes commence.

The one problem with Uncharted 2 was the lack of Sully, 3 definitely makes up for it.

Ariong posted:

Let's hope there's not an uncharted 4.

There will be though, on the PS4, was teased awhile ago.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Great to see you finally getting around to this game, Chip! This will be the first Uncharted Lp of yours I watch after playing the game, so I'm looking forward to it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Crosspeice posted:

That's not what London looks like, Naughty Dog! (obviously, but it's still strange why designers still do it) The only way it wasn't stereotypical is some of the guys were wearing hoodies instead of top hats, drinking tea (scots drink beer ya see), etc, etc. As a British man it ruffles my iron pressed flag printed jimmies to see such preposterous portrayals, pip pip! :britain:

Can you really say that definitively yet? So far all we've seen beyond a few establishing shots is a run-down skinhead bar and the dirty alley behind it.

Then again, I have no idea how skinheads are doing in England. Over in America skinhead punks have basically all faded away because nobody wants to be associated with the skinhead neo-Nazis.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Penakoto posted:

There will be though, on the PS4, was teased awhile ago.

Maybe it'll end up more like Young Indiana Jones and less like Crystal Skull.

I mean, the former isn't great but isn't outright loathsome.

High-Water Marx
Dec 30, 2007

History is nothing but the actions of men in pursuit of gnarly waves

I want to believe Sully has custom printed business cards that read:

Sully's Business Card posted:

Victor Sulivan
"Man of Leisure"
(###)-####

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Was this the first game where treasures were modeled in the levels?

Reeckensall
Sep 27, 2012

When I broke bad
I never knew 'bout all this trouble I would have...

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Can you really say that definitively yet? So far all we've seen beyond a few establishing shots is a run-down skinhead bar and the dirty alley behind it.

Then again, I have no idea how skinheads are doing in England. Over in America skinhead punks have basically all faded away because nobody wants to be associated with the skinhead neo-Nazis.

To be honest, the run down old pub full of violent skinheads felt like a pretty realistic summary of the part of England I'm from. Though I am from South Yorkshire, which is up in the north and nowhere near London, I'm pretty sure London is significantly less stereotypical and old fashioned than northern England...

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They used pie filling to fake the blood on Sully and Nate

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Talbot looking like a warped version of Drake may have been intentional on the part of Naughty Dog. Marlowe and Talbot's relationship could be viewed as a dark mirror of Drake and Sully's relationship. Old wily treasure seeker and cocky young protege, hunting down lost fortunes as a team.

Robin Atkin Downes plays Talbot, both voice and mocap. This makes his third Uncharted appearance, having played Navarro in 1 and done mocap for Tenzin in 2.

Cutter is my favourite part of Uncharted 3. I would totally buy an Uncharted spin-off starring Cutter.

I liked Uncharted 3, but didn't love it. There seem to be too many instances where the devs said, "We have this tech so we should use it. Can we crowbar a set piece into this story that takes advantage of it? Pacing and plot be-damned, look at this thing we made!"

Hopefully, there will be less of that in Uncharted 4.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

JT Jag posted:

Aw yes. I am pumped for more sweet Uncharted action.

I wonder if anyone still has a Jeffatar from the last LP.

This isn't a Jeffatar, but Youtube hasn't taken this away from me, yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvByVhrb9bE

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I have to say I was extremely disappointed that Sully didn't stroll into the museum with a woman on each arm and one clinging to his back.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Suspicious Cook posted:

I have to say I was extremely disappointed that Sully didn't stroll into the museum with a woman on each arm and one clinging to his back.

It would have been harder for Sully to get the impression of the key that way.

Obviously, he left those women in the museum's coat check room and didn't have time to pick them up on the way out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Maybe it'll end up more like Young Indiana Jones and less like Crystal Skull.

I mean, the former isn't great but isn't outright loathsome.

Personally, I'm hoping for a prequel starring Sully.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Rinkles posted:

Was this the first game where treasures were modeled in the levels?

Yeah. Before they were just represented by a shining white blob of nothing.

Harrow posted:

Personally, I'm hoping for a prequel starring Sully.

I've been saying for years that if Naughty Dog made a small, episodic DLC thing starring late-teens early-20's Drake and Sully, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Quiet Python posted:

It would have been harder for Sully to get the impression of the key that way.

Obviously, he left those women in the museum's coat check room and didn't have time to pick them up on the way out.

Please do not put women on hangers. They'll get all stretched out.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Highwang posted:

So Chip, you plan to do an offshoot of "Unearthed: Tales of Ibn Battuta," the totally not-a-ripoff of Uncharted with far worse...everything?

It is supposed to be a really really bad game, like near unplayable. It can't even rip off Uncharted properly.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Quiet Python posted:

Talbot looking like a warped version of Drake may have been intentional on the part of Naughty Dog. Marlowe and Talbot's relationship could be viewed as a dark mirror of Drake and Sully's relationship. Old wily treasure seeker and cocky young protege, hunting down lost fortunes as a team.

It's definitely intentional. I remember some interview where they described Talbot as the "anti-Drake".

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Firstly, any game that starts with a quote from T.E. Lawrence is a game I love.

Secondly, any game that starts with an ol' cockney barfight, is a game I love.

Thirdly, holy poo poo Steven Blum is incredible. If anyone's ever watched Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law, you might like to know he actually voiced the teeny-tiny-rear end duckling Chemical Castration Yakky Doodle

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

To be fair, we never saw any of the dudes being like racist or anything, they really were just ol' gangster thugs :v: I mean one of them had a GUN, that's super-hardcore in Britain, like a guy owning a tank in America!

Seriously though, great start so far, I really loved these first two videos and I LOVE how Drake and Sully developed their relationship, lot of adorable details both in production and finished product.
Keep it up guys.

Chewie23
Mar 17, 2013

Damn. It feels good to be a gangster
I like how ND made Sully's model gradually age in between games. In the first game he has black hair, with streaks of grey, and then the second he has noticeably more grey (for what little scenes he's in). In the third, his head is all grey hair (or at least close enough so it doesn't matter). Just one of the many details that makes me appreciate ND more and more. I'm not sure about Nate though. I think he ages, but not to the degree of Sully.

Anyways, I'm excited to see more of this and might dust off my copy to play along :allears:

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax
Oh man, here comes the minority opinion. At first, I hated Uncharted 3; the plot seemed stupid, I thought the gameplay wasn't as streamlined, and I gave up well on into the 3rd chapter. A few months later, I play Uncharted 2 and 3 back to back and find that 3 honestly is a better game in general.

The gameplay is basically the same except for a few minor and drastic changes, like recoil when shooting and the revamped melee system. The puzzles are definitely mentally taxing compared to 1 and 2, where they just told you what to do and you did it. Hell, they even made it possible to fully stealth some areas. They also increase the difficulty of opposition as the game progresses while also introducing interesting and unique enemies into the fray.

Everyone likes to poo poo on the plot of 3, but if you play 2 and jump to 3 you can see how much better 3's plot is. I will give 1 credit for having an interesting story and characters that developed over time, but the main driving force of the plot is executed poorly and it barely holds up now. Now 2 is a different sort of demon, chuck full of cliches and a simplistic story, e.g. Russian Bad-Man. 3 establishes an actual back story, introduces new characters, and they actually portray an antagonist that has reason for their position. Sure some characters are introduced then hushed off, as we will see, but it's mainly to focus on continuing the plot and evolving the story without over complicating it.

Don't get me wrong, I loved 1 when it first came out and 2 was even better, but 3 tried to achieve a deeper story and I personally believe they executed it perfectly.

GentlemanBrofro fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 31, 2014

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

FinalGamer posted:

Thirdly, holy poo poo Steven Blum is incredible. If anyone's ever watched Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law, you might like to know he actually voiced the teeny-tiny-rear end duckling Chemical Castration Yakky Doodle

Chip and Ironicus were joking about that Billy Unger AKA Young Jason Statham in Crank 2 voiced Young Nathan. But yeah Steve Blum does have a rather surprising range. He did do the Minion Voices for Golden Abyss though.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 31, 2014

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I was not looking forward to this because this LP won't have robots, buying skills, or spines. Just humans shooting humans :\ but then the first episode got me excited for what this could be. Then the second episode :\

Thanks for all the LPs.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Herr Tog posted:

I was not looking forward to this because this LP won't have robots, buying skills, or spines. Just humans shooting humans :\ but then the first episode got me excited for what this could be. Then the second episode :\

Thanks for all the LPs.

Really, the derivative nature of this game when it comes to fellow third-person-action game Ride to Hell: Retribution is just shameful and makes Drakes Deception the worst in the Uncharted series. Desert environments, combat that alternates between shooting and melee sequeces, Drake's out-of-place Vietnam flashbacks, Sully's inexplicable mechanic job, and the obvious parallels between Marlowe and Ceasar are kinda embarrassing.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
That opening bar fight sequence must be what the inside of Guy Ritchie's head looks like all the time. It's like a burly brawl full of Jason Stathams.

Chip, will you also be doing the co-op adventure once you've finished the main campaign?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
What I didn't like about Uncharted 3 is that there are whole chapters that are completely on rails and without combat, like walking around while people talk, or boring chase sequences. All of them are way too long and never play out differently in any way, like chapter 2. That's why 3 and the Vita game are the only Uncharted game I haven't replayed. I didn't like the story either. It tries to be more serious but doesn't pull it off.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Let's face it: Since when have any of the Uncharted games had anything approaching a good story? They have the occasional funny one-liner, decent gameplay, and really nice scenery and action setpieces, and that's pretty much what they're there for, like any other pretty forgettable action movie.

That said I will consider this game a success if more people get defenestrated.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Night10194 posted:

Let's face it: Since when have any of the Uncharted games had anything approaching a good story? They have the occasional funny one-liner, decent gameplay, and really nice scenery and action setpieces, and that's pretty much what they're there for, like any other pretty forgettable action movie.

Of course. But it's all the more egregious when a game that should have a fun excuse for a plot instead has a weird mess.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Night10194 posted:

They have good writing but not very exciting stories, yeah. Uncharted 3 in particular has a story with a lot of missed potential(there seems to be quite a bit they had to cut as well).

That said I liked Uncharted 3 overall. There are some amazing chapters and sequences, and I liked some places the story tried to go. It's probably one of the best looking games on PS3(The Last of Us and GTA5 are the only games I've played that look better). The gameplay is probably as good as Uncharted 2, it's just that the weird aiming at launch soured it for a lot of players(including me).

RatHat fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

From the sound of things, it seems to me that Uncharted 3 has run into one of the major problems that come from trying to turn video games into movies: ultimately, they have very different running times. Feature-length films are expected to come in at around one and a half to two hours, and even with gameplay segments to pad things out that's not nearly enough material to fill out the expected ten hours of your average action game. Thus, rather than crafting a story that can actually pace itself over the desired length, the developers throw in random additional ideas and add sequences without regards to how they might fit into the plot.

There's a similar problem with translating novels into feature films, albeit in the other direction. Fifty thousand words and more is a lot more material than can comfortably fit into two hours, which is why the most faithful adaptations tend to be miniseries or entire seasons of a TV show; novellas are closer to the appropriate length of a film.

I guess my point with this is that game developers should take more pointers from novel authors than screenwriters. Also, this isn't a direct indictment of Naughty Dog, which seems like it has its head on straight for the most part. It's just my thoughts on modern AAA developers in general.

• Locked thread