Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

"RatHat" posted:

The gameplay is probably as good as Uncharted 2, it's just that the weird aiming at launch soured it for a lot of players(including me).

I forgot to mention the aiming but it was another thing I hated. Worst part is they had already patched the game when I played it but I had no idea the option to unfuck the controls was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neflame
Aug 26, 2013
I ended up with mixed feelings about this game when I played it. I thought it was up there with Uncharted 2, but some of the writing fell a little short toward the latter parts of the plot. Or maybe it's not as irritating as I remember and this series will let me realize that.

I also had no idea the option to change the controls existed. Would've saved a headache or ten.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So how many takes did it take you to do that chase segment so flawlessly, Chip? I refuse to believe somebody can do any of those so perfectly without at least one death.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

IronSaber posted:

It is supposed to be a really really bad game, like near unplayable. It can't even rip off Uncharted properly.

Oh I know this for a fact. A friend of mine streamed it and you can tell that it was just a fanfiction tier carbon copy of Uncharted by a bunch of hack amateurs.

I think it'd be perfect for some weird alternate-reality offshoot episode. I'd say play it for the Bad Games thread but at the moment its only one episode that lasts 40 minutes.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Near unplayable, fanfiction-tier game by a bunch of hack amateurs? Sounds like a job for Judge Reinhold and his League of Extraordinary Coffee-Drinking Men.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I didn't realize I'd been missing this until I saw the thread.

FinalGamer posted:

To be fair, we never saw any of the dudes being like racist or anything, they really were just ol' gangster thugs :v: I mean one of them had a GUN, that's super-hardcore in Britain, like a guy owning a tank in America!

Not all skinheads are white power neo-nazis. :science:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

As a nice little nod, £50 notes are basically out of circulation over here nowadays because they're incredibly easy to make fakes of in comparison to every other note.

anthrax
Dec 10, 2013
Hell Yes!

About time you guys finished the trilogy. This is the one game of the 3 I actually played, but still looking forward to the rest of this.
UC3 felt a bit winded for me, personally, so I guess the series peaked at 2...

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I like to imagine that the money in that suitcase was genuine, and Drake just doesn't know what UK currency is. There's something off about these dollar bills... :crossarms:

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Red Bones posted:

I like to imagine that the money in that suitcase was genuine, and Drake just doesn't know what UK currency is. There's something off about these dollar bills... :crossarms:

"This thing's faker than a 3 dollar bill! There's some crusty hag on it for the picture!"

"That- that's our queen!"

"I know what I said!"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Red Bones posted:

Uh, I'm pretty sure the money was genuine but calling it out as fake and grabbing the ring back from Evil Drake was what gave Good Drake the chance to swap the real ring for a fake after it was authenticated.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Man, I kinda forgot how strong this game started off.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

From the sound of things, it seems to me that Uncharted 3 has run into one of the major problems that come from trying to turn video games into movies: ultimately, they have very different running times. Feature-length films are expected to come in at around one and a half to two hours, and even with gameplay segments to pad things out that's not nearly enough material to fill out the expected ten hours of your average action game. Thus, rather than crafting a story that can actually pace itself over the desired length, the developers throw in random additional ideas and add sequences without regards to how they might fit into the plot.

There's a similar problem with translating novels into feature films, albeit in the other direction. Fifty thousand words and more is a lot more material than can comfortably fit into two hours, which is why the most faithful adaptations tend to be miniseries or entire seasons of a TV show; novellas are closer to the appropriate length of a film.

I guess my point with this is that game developers should take more pointers from novel authors than screenwriters. Also, this isn't a direct indictment of Naughty Dog, which seems like it has its head on straight for the most part. It's just my thoughts on modern AAA developers in general.

I remember an interview with Hironobu Sakaguchi before FF:TSW came out where he talked about how making a story for a movie wasn't really any different from making one for a game since the total length of cutscenes isn't too different. It made me extremely mad, because he was someone who often did very well with pacing out characterization for a 20-hour RPG and was in denial about his need to learn anything for screenwriting. The pacing has always been extremely different, it's just that the presentation has become more cinematic whereas before it was more like watching a performance on stage (or a puppet show I guess).

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Wait, so the opening scene is people threatening a person who has literally murdered hundreds of people? Man I love this series.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

Dreadwroth posted:

Wait, so the opening scene is people threatening a person who has literally murdered hundreds of people? Man I love this series.

Well it's not like everyone knows that Drake is a war machine. Because no person who has had something against him has lived to tell the tale. And I doubt that Drake goes around to bars telling stories about how he murdered everyone on his way to Shambala.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ahh ok fair enough. I really love how Naughty Dog approaches their art design, I bet a designer asked what colors to use and the reply was "all of them".

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Carlioo posted:

Well it's not like everyone knows that Drake is a war machine. Because no person who has had something against him has lived to tell the tale. And I doubt that Drake goes around to bars telling stories about how he murdered everyone on his way to Shambala.

"So there I was, the shining city spread out before me... And suddenly, as if from nowhere, emerged the immortal citizens of Shambala in their ceremonial furs!"
"Wow! What did you say? Did you even speak the right language?"
"Sure, I speak bullets."

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The_White_Crane posted:

"So there I was, the shining city spread out before me... And suddenly, as if from nowhere, emerged the immortal citizens of Shambala in their ceremonial furs!"
"Sure, I speak bullets."

He retorts as he smiles and sips his drink. And then a vietnam flashback.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It turns out there was some trouble communicating at first, but then everything worked out fine once Drake switched over to the crossbow dialect.

Assoonasitits
Dec 11, 2007

I guess frogout is too polite to simply say "begone".

The_White_Crane posted:

"Sure, I speak bullets."

I like to imagine the last line spoken by the idiot, happy-go-lucky Drake that Chip and Ironicus rag on about instead of the relatively savvy character that he is; one shouldered shrug, slight head nod and a flippant remark before he goes back to rifling through the trash can in search of treasure.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Man, this is so much more fun to watch than it is to play. Something about the way Drake controls just doesn't feel right to me. It's like you're playing with an action figure or something, I dunno.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Man, this is so much more fun to watch than it is to play. Something about the way Drake controls just doesn't feel right to me. It's like you're playing with an action figure or something, I dunno.

I've never played this game but just from watching it does seem like he's a bit more robotic and stiff when he's walking around compared to 2, maybe it's all the new little animations they added that hadn't quite been perfected yet?

I'm still looking forward to watching Chip play the rest of this game and then eventually Megaman Legends 2. Never stop LP'ing you crazy LP machines you.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TwoPair posted:

So how many takes did it take you to do that chase segment so flawlessly, Chip? I refuse to believe somebody can do any of those so perfectly without at least one death.

I'm ninety percent certain that that's one of those chase scenes that you have to stand still to actually be killed in. Like the one in the last game when Jeff got killed.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The guys there are mainly there to block you off, but there are guys following you who will catch you if you stop for too long, but as long as you keep moving and stick to the obvious path it's pretty hard to die.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Well fine, I guess I'm just lovely and veer Kid Drake into too many walls because I found it embarrassingly tough.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, each time I play through the game I get caught at least once. I'm sure it helps a lot if you have the route at least partially memorized but running into a wall even for a moment adds up and gets you caught eventually if you screw up a bit enough times.

That said I do like the setpiece as a whole, lots of neat moments in it. My personal favorite being landing on the glass and cracking it and having one of the goons fall through it a second later.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Carlioo posted:

I choose to believe that in the Uncharted universe, there is a permanent ad on the inside front cover of Soldier of Fortune magazine that consists of a high-definition photograph of Nathan Drake, with smaller but still clear insets of Sully and Elena, with a cautionary note to all mercenaries, bodyguards, and hired guns: do not take any job that even indirectly involves these people. The best-case scenario is that you die someplace where they can find the body.

Dianasaur Go!
Jun 10, 2004

too soon from the cave
too far from the stars
I drew my very first Let's Play fan art for you guys. I hope you like 90s kid Drake. He's rad to the max.

I realize now I should have given him stink lines, but I'm too lazy to fix it unless someone asks me to. Loving the new LP so far!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Carlioo posted:

This is an entirely sensible reason for why nobody gives Drake the time of day despite his utter lethality and I love it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

That is pretty :krad:

Is there anything in game that explicitly dates the young Drake sequence?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Rinkles posted:

That is pretty :krad:

Is there anything in game that explicitly dates the young Drake sequence?

It starts off with "20 years earlier." Assuming the game is set when it was released, that would put it around the late 80s/early 90s. If you wanna get specific, it'd be around 1991.

Of course, for all we know Uncharted is set in the 2020s and that's Colombia of right now.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Lance Streetman posted:

It starts off with "20 years earlier." Assuming the game is set when it was released, that would put it around the late 80s/early 90s. If you wanna get specific, it'd be around 1991.

Of course, for all we know Uncharted is set in the 2020s and that's Colombia of right now.

I'm going to guess not...

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Lance Streetman posted:

That haircut of his pretty much screams early 90's, too. I have to wonder who gave it to him when he's stuck in the middle of a former Spanish colony somewhere, though.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
It's good to know that even as a boy, Drake has been hounded by entropy. Not a day goes by without something falling apart right when he's relying on it.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

That haircut of his pretty much screams early 90's, too. I have to wonder who gave it to him when he's stuck in the middle of a former Spanish colony somewhere, though.

All boys in the nineties had either a center part or bowl cut by default. It's just how hair grew back then.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The Young Drake sequence of Uncharted 3 is set in the past. You know what else is set in the past? Ride to Hell: Retribution: 1%: Dead End. The evidence keeps piling up.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
So glad to finally see this. Just finished replaying the game like a day ago.

I understand where a lot of people are coming from, and no, I don't think this game is as great as Uncharted 2 was. People have mentioned the plot holes, but some of the plot just didn't even get tied up. They'd bring something up once or twice and you know it should lead somewhere, but it never did. Still, at least three of the setpieces are absolutely fantastic, even better than the train I'd imagine, so I'm really looking forward to Chip going through those.

kurt phillips
Feb 1, 2014

Nanomashoes posted:

The Young Drake sequence of Uncharted 3 is set in the past. You know what else is set in the past? Ride to Hell: Retribution: 1%: Dead End. The evidence keeps piling up.

Drake needs to harness the power of Jake's kicks and rage induced finishers

spooky attic
Jun 17, 2009

Ineffective at haunting cartridges.

Dianasaur Go! posted:

I drew my very first Let's Play fan art for you guys. I hope you like 90s kid Drake. He's rad to the max.

I realize now I should have given him stink lines, but I'm too lazy to fix it unless someone asks me to. Loving the new LP so far!

The bar has been set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Rad fanart is the best fanart.

• Locked thread