Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

President Ark posted:

The coffin in the first game had a rotting, moldy corpse in it that was covered in spores that the dude inhaled.

Ah, so Last of Us confirmed canon in Uncharted universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

President Ark posted:

The coffin in the first game had a rotting, moldy corpse in it that was covered in spores that the dude inhaled.

Huh.

I'm sure I remember it ending with hordes of nazi zombies or something reanimated by being too near the coffin or however it worked.

Maybe I am confusing it with the many other instances of nazi zombies in videogames.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Penakoto posted:

Do they ever hint or say who the bad guys are, besides just an old woman with lots of minions?

They've got plenty of money considering all the equipment they've got, that hideout in London with the elaborate secret entrance, and a lot of them wear suits in the hideout and I think a few other spots.

Like some kind of secret organization, rather than just a group of thugs or mercs like the first game, but I don't remember anything outright stated who or what they are. Mafia, illuminati, secret agent splinter group, something along those lines.

Considering that they're British, I wouldn't hesitate to guess that they have a connection to Queen Elizabeth and John Dee. They're basically a secret society that's been trying to continue the centuries-old search for Ubar.

quote:

I guess by supernatural I mean 'literally magic' rather than 'highly improbable chemistry'.

The second game had purple super 'roids, this game has purple super LSD, first game literally had a magic coffin that makes zombies with its evil voodoo aura or something.

Seems like the games are stepping down the magic bits as they go along.

I think the coffin released the spores/dust inside the corpse that caused the zombification. In fact, none of the games have had any elements that could be considered 100% supernatural. The Cintamani Stone and the djinn were chemicals of some sort, and the zombie dust in El Dorado was probably a biological thing. But there's never been any confirmed supernatural happenings, merely things that could be considered supernatural if viewed on the surface.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Yeah but I want an Ancient Greece-theme Uncharted where Drake has to fight those skeletons from the Jason and the Argonauts movie. Let's see how he handles shooting BONES.

Ah, he'd be fine. Drake punches things too, you know!

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I think the coffin released the spores/dust inside the corpse that caused the zombification. In fact, none of the games have had any elements that could be considered 100% supernatural. The Cintamani Stone and the djinn were chemicals of some sort, and the zombie dust in El Dorado was probably a biological thing. But there's never been any confirmed supernatural happenings, merely things that could be considered supernatural if viewed on the surface.

Tree sap that heals all injuries and grants eternal life with super strength isn't supernatural?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

morallyobjected posted:

Tree sap that heals all injuries and grants eternal life with super strength isn't supernatural?

There could be a plausible non-supernatural biological thing at work here. It's unlikely, but only to the same degree that "a coffin sealed for hundreds of years contains a corpse infested with spores that mutates people into ravenous zombies" or "a sealed cask continually leaks hallucinogens into water for hundreds/thousands of years without losing potency or running out" are.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

morallyobjected posted:

The game series runs on movie logic. Physics don't even operate the same as they should in real life, bullet wounds only cause visible injury to the body when plot-appropriate, and you can clamber all over rusted hulks for hours without suffering cuts to your hands and needing a tetanus shot. Thousand-year-old complex mechanisms that control giant statues still work perfectly, but can only be operated by controls accessible by climbing architectural features.

Zombie dust, immortality healing sap, and ancient mass hallucinogenic chemicals aren't really out of the question in terms of the non-supernatural in Uncharted.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Oh hell yes Wonderful 101 is next. I just beat that game the other day and as far as off the wall anime goodness it has Revengence beat by a mile. But i suppose it doesn't help that Revegence tries to stay relatively grounded like most of the other Metal Gear games.

Anyway about the last video it did look like to anybody else that that knife fight with Talbot that the animations looked sped up? Not like video editing sped up or anything but it just looked like those particular set of animations were just set to play faster for whatever reason it made this "climatic" final battle look a bit silly to me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

But i suppose it doesn't help that Revegence tries to stay relatively grounded like most of the other Metal Gear games.

I'm not sure we played the same games.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Finally got around to watching those last two videos, and I'd just like to say thanks yet again for another great LP, you guys! Been watching your LPs since back when you were doing Uncharted 1, but didn't get an account here for a good while. You guys always do quality LPs and it's much appreciated!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I dunno, I liked that this game had nothing really supernatural in it. It was a nice subversion on the rest of the series so far. It was a nice subversion of your expectations in the game itself as well, because the whole time they're leading you up to think that there's some big magic secret that'll make Marlowe and Not Drake be incredibly powerful, maybe immortal, but then it just turns out to be crazy juice and a long-abandoned city of nutjobs.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

The villain wanted power, so she needed to get the jug of absinthe at the bottom of the sea that she knew about because of ?????????? because once she got the hallucinogens she would do ???????????? and RULE THE WORLD. This was a project 20 years in the making and sparing no expense.

Of course Drake foiled the plan by shooting the winch and sending the jug to THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA from whence it would NEVER be recovered

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

She knew about it because she is the leader of the secret society that found out about it originally, and that Francis Drake tried to hide the stuff from. Drake foiled the plan by killing everyone who knew where the stuff was, Not to mention burying it under tons upon tons of collapsed city. That said, this game's ending was definitely the weakest of the three.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Crocodylus Pontifex posted:

Nathan thinks way too highly of Francis Drake. He was all, "Oh he saw what horrible thing Elizibeth and John Dee were planning and put a stop to it!" as opposed to the much more likely, "He stumbled upon a nest of angry loving spiders and said gently caress that poo poo".

Seriously. I mean, Nate & Company even found his message back in Yemen that said "gently caress this, this is totally not worth it." Francis Drake was a cool dude, but I'd figure after about the third ancient puzzle full of death-spiders, he might've just called it quits and said "Maybe this just isn't worth it" instead of "OH NO THIS IS TOO DANGEROUS FOR MERE MORTALS" and lying to ~save the world~. But that would shatter Nate's romantic view of his great-great-great(tack on several more greats) grandpappy (if they are actually related).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Jug of Death totally survived the city caving in, though. Not a scratch on it. Just ask the Djinn.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 17, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bhlaab posted:

The villain wanted power, so she needed to get the jug of absinthe at the bottom of the sea that she knew about because of ?????????? because once she got the hallucinogens she would do ???????????? and RULE THE WORLD. This was a project 20 years in the making and sparing no expense.

Of course Drake foiled the plan by shooting the winch and sending the jug to THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA from whence it would NEVER be recovered

I didn't say it was well explained, I just like what they tried to do.

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!
Thanks for this LP. I had a back log of the last 3 videos. I was having a bad day and needed a pick me up. These videos served that purpose. Thank you for making my lovely day better.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Just finished up the last two videos. Great LP as usual, though I was a bit sad that neither of you commented on Drake suddenly taking a page from Sam Gideon's fighting manual

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Ariong posted:

She knew about it because she is the leader of the secret society that found out about it originally, and that Francis Drake tried to hide the stuff from. Drake foiled the plan by killing everyone who knew where the stuff was, Not to mention burying it under tons upon tons of collapsed city. That said, this game's ending was definitely the weakest of the three.

Okay but what about the part where having LSD gives you power for some reason.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

bhlaab posted:

You know how some people buy like five pizzas when they're high? She figured out how to weaponize that.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

You know how some people buy like five pizzas when they're high? She figured out how to weaponize that.

Man who buys pizzas when they're taking so much LSD they're seeing their dad get shot

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Since the setting of Uncharted 4 is going to likely be Libertalia (watch someone who actually knows history put way too much work into figuring this out), I want to know how Drake is going to collapse an entire island into the sea since he seems to have a bad habit of completely destroying every lost city he discovers.

Also wonder what semi-supernatural horror will be there as the "real" treasure too. If it's a stupid zombie-virus/smoke thing like Uncharted 1 that'd be lame.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Fabricated posted:

Since the setting of Uncharted 4 is going to likely be Libertalia (watch someone who actually knows history put way too much work into figuring this out), I want to know how Drake is going to collapse an entire island into the sea since he seems to have a bad habit of completely destroying every lost city he discovers.

Also wonder what semi-supernatural horror will be there as the "real" treasure too. If it's a stupid zombie-virus/smoke thing like Uncharted 1 that'd be lame.

He'll somehow manage to summon a hurricane to engulf the island.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!
What was the supernatural element in the Vita game, if any?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BottledBacon posted:

What was the supernatural element in the Vita game, if any?

They're hunting the Seven Cities of Gold and the mythical city of Quivira.

Turns out the gold was radioactive, which is what killed the entire city. It's probably the least supernatural game in the series.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Disappointed that we never learned what the gently caress was up with those spiders. I thought the city would be crawling with them.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

paragon1 posted:

Disappointed that we never learned what the gently caress was up with those spiders. I thought the city would be crawling with them.

Maybe there were never any spiders and it was all just a hallucination.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
There was a spider in a jar in the badguy hideout.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

Neruz posted:

Maybe there were never any spiders and it was all just a hallucination.

THAT would have been a neat twist, with spiders being a common phobia and drake seeing them when tripping balls. If they had foreshadowed it a bit and actually built that payoff into the conclusion that could have been neat. The bad guys were just pumping their panic chemicals into places with drake to flush him out of them.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I have no idea why the dropped the spider-thing like that. When I played the game I was waiting for them to find out the chemical came from the spiders or something, which would explain why the bad guys had access to the poison and the spider in the jar.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

bhlaab posted:

It's that same crap that they stuck cutter with that made him do what Talbot said.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

chitoryu12 posted:

They're hunting the Seven Cities of Gold and the mythical city of Quivira.

Turns out the gold was radioactive, which is what killed the entire city. It's probably the least supernatural game in the series.

Science nitpick time! (spoilers for the Vita game)
The game was a prequel, so let's say the first report of Cibola had been about 475 years ago for round numbers (currently it's about 490 years), providing a minimum age for the city. The isotope of Gold with the longest half-life is Au-195, which has a half-life of about half a year, decaying into stable Platinum-195. After 950 decay cycles, the amount of gold remaining would be basically zero (if every Hydrogen atom in the universe were turned into AU-195, none of those would remain after 475 years). That said, "City of Platinum" sounds pretty impressive as well.

But wait! Au-195 decays via electron capture, which emits a harmless neutrino. The longest-lived of other Gold isotopes have a half-life measured in days.

Perhaps the gold was impure, mixed with some longer-lived radioactive isotope. But then the bad guy's plan is to sell impure gold on the black market and hope nobody notices, which is a good way to wind up dead.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
The jar was filled with spider eggs that leaked out the hallucinogen.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

Pyroi posted:

The jar was filled with spider eggs that leaked out the hallucinogen.

This is now canon.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

The djinn were the spiders then? why does that makes sense.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Fabricated posted:

1) He somehow causes enough commotion to bring an inactive vulcano back to life
2) Ghost pirates :getin:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Zoig posted:

The djinn were the spiders then? why does that makes sense.

Then the descriptions of the djinn as beings of smokeless fire is just a misinterpretation of the spiders always being depicted as set on fire by the terrified citizens.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

Ometeotl posted:

Then the descriptions of the djinn as beings of smokeless fire is just a misinterpretation of the spiders always being depicted as set on fire by the terrified citizens.

They meant 'Fireless smoke' but a translation error messed it up.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Ometeotl posted:

Or the sort of things you see when full of hallucinogenic spider venom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Or the sort of things you see when full of hallucinogenic spider venom.

Apparently one of the effects is you start seeing Ghost Rider everywhere.

• Locked thread