Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

BlueDestiny posted:

That sucks, because RAD is awesome. At one point you're fighting a godzilla ripoff that can do a big charging headbutt. I timed it just right and caught it square in the dome with a robo-uppercut that sent it flying through a few buildings, and then I went super saiyan mode and shot a drill-fist at it.

It also had the most incredible voice acting ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0kNwwQH5rk

If I remember right, the guy who translated that game used to post here, and explained just why the entire localization seemed so 'special'.

Simply put, the publisher sent him a raw text dump of all the dialogue without any context or framing, gave him just a couple weeks to do it in, and on a shoestring budget. Now, Japanese is a pretty contextual language, so the guy was pretty much wildly guessing at what the hell was going on and trying to use the appropriate words.

Once the text was translated, he recommended that the publisher use a voice-casting agency that he recommended. The publisher decided to cut corners and went and hired a company that does corporate informational videos to handle the voicework. If I remember right, the icing on the cake was the 'actress' playing news reporter, who was a secretary at the publishers main office or something equally ridiculous.

You really don't get poo poo like that happening any more these days. I'm not sure whether to be happy or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

RAD owned. EDF 2017 owned. EDF 2025 is gonna own face!

Also RAD's localization added to it, even if it was unintentional.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

EDF 2025 is gonna own face!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxUWIJ0DgsI 2025 already owns. :911:

e: I can't fix the time marker, just skip to five minutes in.

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 1, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Neo Helbeast posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxUWIJ0DgsI 2025 already owns. :911:

e: I can't fix the time marker, just skip to five minutes in.

Hahahaha! EDF loving owns. Get hyped!

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
But do the spiders still make bowling sounds when they die?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Rollie the Guar posted:

We shall find out in less than a month. EDF month bitches lets do this! Launch GOTG EDF 2017 and get hype for EDF 2025!

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Insect Armageddon is the only EDF I've played and I still think the series owns, so I'm pretty pumped for one that seems liked by lots of people!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Rollie the Guar posted:

If it's anything like the Japanese version then you will be pleasantly surprised.

I have a hundred hours in the version I can't even read and I can't wait to buy it again. E-D-F! E-D-F!

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Do we know for sure if this is getting a digital release on PSN or XBL? I put almost 100 co-op hours into 2017 and I literally don't think I can wait for Amazon's two day shipping if I can just download this and get my EDF on ASAP. :flashfap:

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006
Just remembered that I preordered this in July, and it's almost time! GotY incoming.

Davoren posted:

Insect Armageddon is the only EDF I've played and I still think the series owns, so I'm pretty pumped for one that seems liked by lots of people!

IA was the most boring one, so if you still liked that one, prepare to have your mind BLOWN. Also, your heatsinks and framerate.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
Is the PS3 version going to have online couch coop this time? I picked up the jp version last year and that seemed to be one of the big differences between that and the 360 version, though I'm not sure if that was patched.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah, if you liked terrible Insect Armageddon then imagine a game that is 25x bigger and better in every way. That's the 'real' EDF.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Time to go on a whole lot of thrilling underground expeditions. EDF! EDF! EDF!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Will it have your teammates chanting "EDF! EDF! EDF!" when the going is good? This is important.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
I pre-ordered TWO copies of this back in July.

The wait is almost over...

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Preordered this at the beginning of December and can't believe it's almost here. They've also announced that there's gonna be an EDF on the PS4 so we know who's gonna win this generation.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah, if you liked terrible Insect Armageddon then imagine a game that is 25x bigger and better in every way. That's the 'real' EDF.

Insect Armageddon is the Diet Rite Cola to the EDF 2017's Coca~Cola Original Formula (the one with actual cocaine).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nah, the one with the actual cocaine is EDF2, EDF3 is 70s era Coke.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Unlucky7 posted:

Will it have your teammates chanting "EDF! EDF! EDF!" when the going is good? This is important.

Even more important, is the chat system from 2017 Portable still in?

Because I do believe I love me some Vegeltas.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
gently caress yes getting pump for this poo poo! Why do the fly girls all have laser pigtails?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
We can only hope that there might be another exciting installment of EDF: The Commercial at some point in the future... :pray:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaKDsd4nk0k

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 4, 2014

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
So is the PS2 EDF emulation bad because the game is by nature a huge resource hog or does it have compatibility issues? I've been itching to play one of these for a while.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
So this game has been out in Japan for months now. What was the reaction by the fans / general gaming populace?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Is there any chance this is coming out for the new generation of consoles? If not I may have to take my Bone out of my rack and put my 360 back.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I love the teammates in EDF.

I had one yell "I'm out of ammo!" and the guy next to him yelled "That's impossible!"

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

I was watching the chaos of the Saints Row 2 LP and thinking to myself "I need some loving 360 co-op games to play and get drunk with friends" and now this thread, like manna from heaven.

Broken Box fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 4, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DisDisDis posted:

So is the PS2 EDF emulation bad because the game is by nature a huge resource hog or does it have compatibility issues? I've been itching to play one of these for a while.

The game makes the PS2 cry tears of blood. I haven't given it a try yet but it uses the same engine as RAD, which apparently has some compatibility problems.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

DisDisDis posted:

I just gave it a shot. I don't have the beefiest of systems, but it played split screen really drat well. Couldn't get the widescreen hack working properly, however. Mangled up the menu text.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

DisDisDis posted:

I guarantee you the PS2 is worse than your computer emulating it.

The first mission in GDF generally stays at under 30% speed on the real console until most of the enemies are gone for no particular reason.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

So cannot wait for real EDF.

I will never understand why Insect Armageddon ended up being so terrible. WHY WOULD YOU END THE GAME THERE WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU. I remember beating it coop for the first time with my brother and we were both just awestruck. That couldn't be it. No one would do that there has to be more to it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

DisDisDis posted:

Between nearly fully destructible terrain and That Many enemy models on screen, there was no way the PS2's processors weren't going to get clobbered. And I don't know of any emulators that gracefully boost framerate (at least, as specifically as making EDF not slog under its load would require), since coding practices were still bad enough that people chained the game clock to the CPU back then.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

general chaos posted:

So this game has been out in Japan for months now. What was the reaction by the fans / general gaming populace?

I know in the old thread a bunch of people imported it, and everyone seemed to love it.

For some reason I didn't think this was coming out until summer, so the fact that it's coming out in two weeks has me ecstatic.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Any word on which console is the primary SKU? I'd imagine 360, but I honestly have no idea. The PAX demo was on 360.

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006

randombattle posted:

I will never understand why Insect Armageddon ended up being so terrible. WHY WOULD YOU END THE GAME THERE WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU. I remember beating it coop for the first time with my brother and we were both just awestruck. That couldn't be it. No one would do that there has to be more to it.

I heard they just ran out of time and shipped it unfinished. Also, they foolishly decided to limit enemy numbers and despawn bodies to keep the frame rate stable. Nobody told vicious cycle that frame rate should be the absolute last priority in an EDF game.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

Brackhar posted:

Any word on which console is the primary SKU? I'd imagine 360, but I honestly have no idea. The PAX demo was on 360.
EDF 2017 was a 360 exclusive, and 2025 is using the same engine. I haven't seen the game in person on either platform yet, but the youtube videos I've seen seem to agree that the PS3 version runs significantly worse.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator

Brackhar posted:

From the jp version it seemed the 360 version was, the ps3 version had a few less features (online couch co-op specifically) which I don't know if they were patched in or not.

Overall the game is amazing, the weapons are super varied and the vehicles are much more usable while still being hot garbage in a good way. I played the fencer mostly and smashing ants with a hammer that shoots earthquakes is quite fun. There's even the buildup since buildings are a bit tougher, but by the end of the campaign you're back to doing more damage to the cities than the bugs. Also there's hornets now.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

general chaos posted:

It's a worthy successor to the series, and does a lot of really amazing poo poo, it's basically what you'd expect from a EDF game, except the extra classes add a lot to gameplay (even though Engineer is kind of a online co-op only kinda class. You can play him solo, but why would you?), and also you get all the best gimmicky weapons from the old games AND MORE. Laser chainsaws, giant swords, incredibly unwieldy spike launchers... It has some of the best weapon variety in EDF history, with more gimmick weapons and less "this weapon is just the previous weapon with +2 attack", though that's still slightly present.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

FuSchnick posted:

EDF 2017 was a 360 exclusive, and 2025 is using the same engine. I haven't seen the game in person on either platform yet, but the youtube videos I've seen seem to agree that the PS3 version runs significantly worse.

Does this mean the PS3 version is the true version?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

randombattle posted:

I don't get why they make it so hard to level up on top of only having a handful of missions. To grind up you basically have to use the terrible starting weapons on the highest difficulty with bullet sponge monsters and unskipable cut-scenes. After that you still had to actually buy the weapons (which I wouldn't mind if they didn't also make in-game drops super rare) and repeat the process 4 times.

The sad part is before the game actually came out it seemed like the devs got the appeal of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I am holding on to which version I should buy, which ever have the highest frame rate wins.