Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Which EDF had the song based on the Battle Hymn of the Republic.

Thats the one with the best songs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Hwurmp posted:

those are always what we weapons experts would term, level 0 poopy butt stuff

It's all almost definitely garbage but having a low level Naegling might be kind of nice for Air Raider. It's not like you expect a Naegling to be able to move for crap anyway.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
EDF weapon dlc is always dogshit but I have fond memories of booting uo 4.1 with friends and surprising everyone with gigantic blow up anime doll decoys, absolutely worth the $2

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Those decoys saved many missions while people were learning the game. Always took one during coop. It's a bad idea to attach them to giants and people. Always worth it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The EDF everyone loves is back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pGluDsNidg

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if there's two things i wanted out of EDF, it was less giant insects and more weird stereotypes

i have under 5 hours played of the first world brothers, think i'll skip this one unless people play it and have some very nice things to say about it

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I managed to refund World Brothers in time, I honestly can't understand the people who like it because it embodies everything EDF is not. Over the top cringe humor, weird racist stereotypes, smaller scale battles without many friendly npcs around.

It's probably a completely different target group tbh.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the really great thing about World Brothers is that you're expected to grind up the armor on every single character, not just every class

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
For a spinoff I thought WB was alright. The later levels got pretty chaotic, like sandlot levels of EDF, and it even added in some interesting mechanics with friendly insects. But they fumbled the PC release, multiplayer was region locked and it took them too long to fix it so player retention dropped off a cliff.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Iron Rain also had MP problems. I don't remember Insect Armageddon having it. These spinoffs are regressing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wb got the basic edf combat down and hosed up absolutely everything else.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I liked the core of WB's thing, constantly swapping between people to cover reloads and ability cooldowns, but no way to quickly boost the health of new units and that stupid as hell dupe system to unlock weapon classes dragged it right back down.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
WB didn’t keep my interest but i could see myself re buying it on switch to scratch the itch when traveling

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I think I'll probably pick up WB2 because the first one was decent to okay, but probably not until it's on sale.

I did enjoy the single playthrough of World Brothers that I completed but it didn't have enough staying power to make me want to play it more than that. The build-your-own team composition stuff honestly backfired for me; one of the things I enjoy so much about main line EDF is that every class plays incredibly differently and has both enormous strengths and clear weaknesses, so how you approach missions as different classes feels really fresh. In World Brothers it's pretty easy to make a team that covers basically every situation and enemy type reasonably well so it's kind of bland comparatively.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Played WB, did not hated it, did not loved it, ...is small scale with childish/toy graphics. It does not have the epicness of the large scale battles of EDF.
With the low scale of the battles there where also the limit set of weapons, and so on.

I may skip WB2, probably.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Weird racism aside, WB was also just a mess for multiplayer. Half the time I either loaded in to an empty map where I could hear but not see the other players or just outright crashed.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
my main issue with WB is that it was too easy. With 4 characters you always have all the tools all the time, and pretty much infinite self revive opportunities if you play your cards right. The main thing about EDF for me is that no character can do all the things all the time (besides high level fencer I guess) and each class is like playing a different route in a mission.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Asian release, English dub of EDF6 copies came out early for Playstation and so far, the dubbing is glorious 90s era videogame work.
edit: You, the MC, still grunts in Japanese though.
edit: There was some omitted opening text that was likely bugged out. This effort sounds like C team work.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 13, 2024

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Scalding Coffee posted:

The Asian release, English dub of EDF6 copies came out early for Playstation and so far, the dubbing is glorious 90s era videogame work.
edit: You, the MC, still grunts in Japanese though.
edit: There was some omitted opening text that was likely bugged out. This effort sounds like C team work.

For anyone who's immediately down for C team EDF (me) and doesn't know how to get this, the basic process is:

1) Create new PSN account for either Singapore, Hong Kong, or Taiwan (I have Singapore)
2) Buy a PSN gift card for that specific region. Playasia can provide the code to you digitally/instantly if you want to go through them. Note that your credit card company is very likely to decline this initially
3) Buy the game on your foreign PSN account using that gift card

You don't need to stay on your foreign PSN account to play. It will be available from your normal PSN account as well.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

After playing 1 non tutorial mission first impressions (mostly avoided pre-release information)

-drat that tutorial mission was terrible
-movement is way better, being able to change directions easier when running and being able to clamber over small things
-you now get damage figures when hitting something which is kinda cool
-OH GOD THEY LOOK LIKE US

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Enjoy edf6. I'm not gonna buy it again rn since I already own the Japanese version.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I still need to play through EDF5

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Good Citizen posted:

After playing 1 non tutorial mission first impressions (mostly avoided pre-release information)

-drat that tutorial mission was terrible
-movement is way better, being able to change directions easier when running and being able to clamber over small things
-you now get damage figures when hitting something which is kinda cool
-OH GOD THEY LOOK LIKE US
You can set the damage numbers over an enemy and never see how much damage you are doing, or set it near your character where you can see it.
Colonists right at the start are such a chore, but you will learn that damage negation exists.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Up to mission 15 and so far all of the voice actors seem the same as in the US release of 5, I typed before going into mission 15

In the middle of making this post they did the 10 motherships speech and i realize they cut and pasted the voice lines from 5. Honestly overall it's less janky than expected tho

e: pretty funny to do the frogman intro mission as mission #18 with the exact same voice lines from edf5, when I've been fighting frogmen since mission #2

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 14, 2024

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
drat hearing that they have that EDF5 voice acting makes me want to pick up the asia copy... do I really want to triple dip on EDF6?

Edit: Whats the english localization for the *thing* showing up? in jp they go BAKANA x3 really loud every time it happens.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Yeah I'm not following, is Asia with English dub identical to the EN release that we'll be getting?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

MikeRabsitch posted:

Yeah I'm not following, is Asia with English dub identical to the EN release that we'll be getting?

Almost surely not. It’s a weird mix of cut and paste voice lines from edf5 (most of it) and some new lines at least up to where I’ve played, mission 40. I don’t find it distracting enough to take away any of my fun, and I also don’t know how much the upcoming western release will reuse edf5’s voice work. Probably less than this though?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/earth-defense-force-friends-unite
You can get EDF5 for $18. Other games are the bad EDFs and the 4.1 + spinoff.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i feel like they'd have been better served waiting a few more months for helldivers hype to die down before doing this

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Helldivers is great fun but it's really missing an obscenely long list of voice commands to pick from for any possible situation

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

i feel like they'd have been better served waiting a few more months for helldivers hype to die down before doing this

IDK, this release is not really being pushed to anybody in the west. You'd really only learn about it in online spaces dedicated to EDF and then you gotta jump through a few hoops to actually play. I'm assuming there'll be a somewhat bigger marketing push for the full game release. The singapore release I'm on is already seeing a low number of active online sessions, but that could be when I play.

Having finished the main story, I'm not really sure I love the (heavy spoilers) reliance on the time loop as the primary focus of the story. It works towards the end of game (mission 100+ or so) when the humans have used their future knowledge to actually make a significant difference to the outcome, but the middle of the game has too many repeating missions with minor differences and difficulty increases. In the middle it really breaks up the feeling of steadily escalating alien madness. Also the aliens aren't aliens anymore and I don't like that. I wonder if they'll jump right to EDF10 after this since I think this game technically ends on EDF9?

Gameplay wise its cool though and an improvement on 5 if you don't count the mission flow as a big negative. Cyborg enemies are cool and creepy, and the high mobility ones have wild spider-man like movements. Kruuls with shields can gently caress off, though.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Good Citizen posted:

IDK, this release is not really being pushed to anybody in the west. You'd really only learn about it in online spaces dedicated to EDF and then you gotta jump through a few hoops to actually play. I'm assuming there'll be a somewhat bigger marketing push for the full game release. The singapore release I'm on is already seeing a low number of active online sessions, but that could be when I play.

Having finished the main story, I'm not really sure I love the (heavy spoilers) reliance on the time loop as the primary focus of the story. It works towards the end of game (mission 100+ or so) when the humans have used their future knowledge to actually make a significant difference to the outcome, but the middle of the game has too many repeating missions with minor differences and difficulty increases. In the middle it really breaks up the feeling of steadily escalating alien madness. Also the aliens aren't aliens anymore and I don't like that. I wonder if they'll jump right to EDF10 after this since I think this game technically ends on EDF9?

Gameplay wise its cool though and an improvement on 5 if you don't count the mission flow as a big negative. Cyborg enemies are cool and creepy, and the high mobility ones have wild spider-man like movements. Kruuls with shields can gently caress off, though.
Regarding the aliens spoiler...The big bad are from Mars.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Playing edf5 online with friends. I've finished the entire game single player. How do I raise the weapon level limit? We're starting from the beginning, will it go up as we finish more missions? I'm only able to use the shittest tier of weapons.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Each difficulty setting for each mission has its own weapon level limit and item drop tables (except Easy and Normal which are shared)

You'll have to jump up to the next difficulty. Weapon level limit is higher for later missions.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

redreader posted:

Playing edf5 online with friends. I've finished the entire game single player. How do I raise the weapon level limit? We're starting from the beginning, will it go up as we finish more missions? I'm only able to use the shittest tier of weapons.

Level limit in multiplayer is entirely based on what mission you're on, you have to hit 70% total completion to go ham in multiplayer.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I really need the Western release of EDF 6. I am reduced to playing through EDF5 more on harder difficulties. Pretty soon I might have to branch out past the ranger and wing diver classes. The horror.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Replaying 5 and I have no idea why I have a lovely loadout for my guys. It took over an hour of running around the map in the silver Beta map slowly plinking away, when I could have used auto-target missiles for my Fencer. I wasn't damaging them part of the time, so it took even longer. I won't be going back to this game when I play 6 and have the hit detection turned on. I see why I couldn't finish most of the DLC maps offline and brute forced everything.
It feels like a whole new playstyle.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 27, 2024

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

HAILs are trash

Jackhammer+Dexter Auto Shotgun for one slot, then Blasthole or Twin Spears+Dispersal Mortar for the other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Orvin posted:

I really need the Western release of EDF 6. I am reduced to playing through EDF5 more on harder difficulties. Pretty soon I might have to branch out past the ranger and wing diver classes. The horror.

It's not so bad.

Fencer: the secret flying class.

Air Raider: like Ranger, except the sky is your bazooka.