Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

imagine not playing fencer and dashing around before slamming bugs with your extendo lance of doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Evil Kit posted:

imagine not playing fencer and dashing around before slamming bugs with your extendo lance of doom.

gently caress you I am Gun Man I cam to fight these aliens with a Shotgun and maybe some Grenades like the Founding Fathers Intended.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

raverrn posted:

gently caress you I am Gun Man I cam to fight these aliens with a Shotgun and maybe some Grenades like the Founding Fathers Intended.

you can do that too with Fencer, it's great. Except you aren't slow!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The fencer shotguns feel like paintball guns compared to the ranger's, but that's the tradeoff for being able to fly around at mach 20.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

In return for crappy shotguns, the giant piercing cannons make you feel like a god as you dual-wield them and chew through entire formations on the other side of the map.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

raverrn posted:

I prefer gatling Twinspears and NOT the gun kind. Unlimited charge poking.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Fencer shotgun is less about the shotgun and more about having a no-consequence weapon with jump jets. Low turn speed restriction, can fire without slowing you down, and pretty high uptime. Ideal partner for something with a dash like the spears

If only the entire left side of the Fencer equipment chart was less about a sorta wide piercing attack with criminally low damage and more increasingly usable vulcan hammers

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Blind Duke posted:

Fencer shotgun is less about the shotgun and more about having a no-consequence weapon with jump jets. Low turn speed restriction, can fire without slowing you down, and pretty high uptime. Ideal partner for something with a dash like the spears

If only the entire left side of the Fencer equipment chart was less about a sorta wide piercing attack with criminally low damage and more increasingly usable vulcan hammers

The secret to the Fencer's autocannon line is that they have no attack animation to stop the other weapon from firing. Pair a Dexter with a Jackhammer, which also has no animation, and you can dash-jump right into a group of aliens and demolish them in seconds.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 29, 2024

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

but why not just take a second jackhammer?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

dash-jumps

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I am a huge fan of the missiles vehicle.

Being able to target half he map of enemies, and send death they way from the other side of the map

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Naeglings are my favorite. Proteus would be king if it wasn't such a clusterfuck and sometimes falling through the planet. I want my AI to ride with me.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Hwurmp posted:

The secret to the Fencer's autocannon line is that they have no attack animation to stop the other weapon from firing. Pair a Dexter with a Jackhammer, which also has no animation, and you can dash-jump right into a group of aliens and demolish them in seconds.

Plowing through a group of aliens is one of the most satisfying feelings in the game. gently caress your artillery squad.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
jackhammers are for punching dicks until an alien ragdolls away. they might have other uses in theory, but that's not important.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Fencer in general has the most balanced weapon set, much less stinkers than the other classes.
Also I'd play ranger for brainless shooting more often if roll and jump weren't the same button. Let me jump sideways, dammit

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
So if I've never played an EDF game would the 5th one on steam be the best to start? I got a ps5 is there anything better there?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

5 has the best gameplay.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'd get 5 on steam, yeah. Other benefits of being on PC aside, it's got a small mod scene with at least some worth checking out.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

by.a.teammate posted:

So if I've never played an EDF game would the 5th one on steam be the best to start?

4.1 is the best to start, although 5 is better overall (and 6 is a straight improvement over 5, but with mostly the same flaws). Get what's cheapest at the time of purchase.

4.1 pros for new players:
- 4.1 has less gacha (but much worse drop ranges)
- 4.1 has unlocked difficulties from the start; 5 locks out the good difficulties behind clearing the last mission (which itself is locked behind either clearing all previous 100+ missions offline, or the much faster trick of finding a lobby with randos and clearing only the final mission online)
- 4.1's mission 1 is typical Sandlot EDF fare, you're in the thick of it 10 seconds after the map loads; in contrast, the first mission of 5 is an unskippable tutorial so boring that if you decided to immediately uninstall and never play an EDF game again after suffering through it you'd be forgiven (and 6's is even worse in that regard)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

by.a.teammate posted:

So if I've never played an EDF game would the 5th one on steam be the best to start? I got a ps5 is there anything better there?
You are in luck. Humble has a bundle for a couple more days.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/earth-defense-force-friends-unite
It has most of the PC ports. The 5th one is the best. Your progress affects all the classes, but doesn't have the mission pack DLC that is super hard, with super fun weapons. $18 and worth it. You can buy the mission packs elsewhere, but it is balanced around people who beat the game with each class.

4.1 has everything included hence all that DLC, but I wouldn't bother at this point. Your progress doesn't affect other classes, so you will be spending dozens of hours on a class and then start all over with no armor with each other class. The loot table is dire, where you can get level 0 weapons on the highest difficulty for a couple dozen missions.

Wing Diver the Shooter is a shmup and very fun to play. You get stronger over time just like the mainline games until even bosses are nicking your health.

The other games tend to have netcode problems and are made to be less frantic. Iron Rain and World Brothers.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

If you don't play 4.1 you miss out on the best character in the entire series, O'Hara, so I consider that unacceptable.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

If you don't play 4.1 you miss out on the best character in the entire series, O'Hara, so I consider that unacceptable.

Weird way to spell 5 and Spritefall Lady, but I’ll allow it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Bussamove posted:

Weird way to spell 5 and Spritefall Lady, but I’ll allow it.

Extremely controversial: I liked Spritefall/Nothung lady in 4.1 more. The way she starts the game worried about someone overriding the controls and ends the game in full kill em all mode felt better to me. Character development for a character that only exists for a single weapon type of a single character class!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

But, it is not a problem :smugdog:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

Extremely controversial: I liked Spritefall/Nothung lady in 4.1 more. The way she starts the game worried about someone overriding the controls and ends the game in full kill em all mode felt better to me. Character development for a character that only exists for a single weapon type of a single character class!

Same. 4.1's satellite laser lady's progression from "what the gently caress somebody is starting up that insanely unstable laser? oh no that's dangerous :(" at the beginning to "KEEP FIRING UNTIL THE ENTIRE THING EXPLODES, HAHAHAHAHA" by the end is an even funnier arc than 5's Spritefall lady deciding to confide in you that she's always been a megalomaniac.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I like using Air Raider during the early EDF5 missions. The call-ins are basically like, "some civilian air traffic controller just hacked our secure line and requested bombers and satellite lasers. Seems odd, but it's probably an emergency. FIRE!"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I forgot how loving slow ranger shotgun reloads are until you get to monsoon. time to spend 5-6 seconds straight reloading this gun with ants right next to my face

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 8, 2024

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Kanos posted:

Same. 4.1's satellite laser lady's progression from "what the gently caress somebody is starting up that insanely unstable laser? oh no that's dangerous :(" at the beginning to "KEEP FIRING UNTIL THE ENTIRE THING EXPLODES, HAHAHAHAHA" by the end is an even funnier arc than 5's Spritefall lady deciding to confide in you that she's always been a megalomaniac.

Is she the same VA as the Comms Officer in EDF5? It sounded the same to my ears, and wasn't helped by her going through the same arc except it's 'I'm looking for god :ssh: / we found god! :woop: / KILL HIIIIM! :black101:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Shine posted:

I like using Air Raider during the early EDF5 missions. The call-ins are basically like, "some civilian air traffic controller just hacked our secure line and requested bombers and satellite lasers. Seems odd, but it's probably an emergency. FIRE!"

All of the call-in flavor-text is amazing. 4.1 and 5 both.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Paingod556 posted:

Is she the same VA as the Comms Officer in EDF5? It sounded the same to my ears, and wasn't helped by her going through the same arc except it's 'I'm looking for god :ssh: / we found god! :woop: / KILL HIIIIM! :black101:

The comms officer in 5 spends the last 20 missions going through some kind of religious experience and becoming completely terrified of the alien god, not being excited about it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If you're being very literal, you could call that "excited".
Much like how something terrifying and awe-inspiring could be described as "awesome".

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Amazing thanks for the all the replies! That humble bundle seems an easy win

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kanos posted:

The comms officer in 5 spends the last 20 missions going through some kind of religious experience and becoming completely terrified of the alien god, not being excited about it.

Okay but she definitely still says we need to kill him though

And she's right

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I found God, and recorded the grid coordinates.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You do miss out on Professor Science in 4.1, but 5 has the Wing Divers participate in singing.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I like the 5's ensemble cast, and it generally conveys the hopeless situation better.

Also IA's marriage proposal is nice.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

by.a.teammate posted:

Amazing thanks for the all the replies! That humble bundle seems an easy win

to toss my 2 cents in: pick either 4.1 or 5 from the bundle to start with. Whichever one you pick, if you end up really clicking with it you're gonna be playing every single EDF from the bundle anyway (maybe excluding World Brothers)

EDF games are kinda just like that. Once you play one, you're gonna play the rest.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Does 5 have more activity these days? I’d honestly pick based on whatever has the most active online users

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Scalding Coffee posted:

You do miss out on Professor Science in 4.1

If I don't manage to get a quote from Ohara into a paper one day with a proper reference I've failed at life. I'm particularly fond of "Progress faster than science is impossible!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Scalding Coffee posted:

You do miss out on Professor Science in 4.1, but 5 has the Wing Divers participate in singing.

I miss the 4.1 Wing Divers chanting "E D F!" like perky cheerleaders