Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

I didn't know "I" rating for accuracy even existed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

LazyMaybe posted:

It's a special sniper rifle

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
It will, 100% of the time, hit something

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The I is for "I can't believe it hit what I pointed at!"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a shotgun. you don't really do that much weak point sniping in 5. aside from the walker base, weak points are mostly large and don't require precision.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

LazyMaybe posted:

I think there is a Z rating along some other ones. It may be in other games.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

The Grom lightning dealie in 4.1 was a G and it will literally hit behind your camera.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

Playing through the English dub of 6 slowly with my parents and I gotta say, I was a bit worried with the first couple missions but the voice acting is generally good throughout. Some of the early guys sound real terrible but it's back to great and campy later on. Some of the battle songs are hilariously downbeat too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

extremely cool parents

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

I first played the series and they got hooked on edf 2017 on the 360 and they have played every game since. Dad is blind in one eye and has trouble using his fingers due to stroke, but they still have been slowly working through inferno on the japanese version they had me import for them lmao. They save levels that are too hard until I come to visit.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
July 25th:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3moTauZ1lMs

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
EDF always seem to have the weirdest commercials :allears:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

July's gonna be packed

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Bofast posted:

EDF always seem to have the weirdest commercials :allears:

It really seems like they saw the Helldivers 2 marketing stuff and said "lets do the edf version of that"

Not that it matters because i will still slam the preorder button on steam asap

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
:sickos:

Hopefully they have the JP Hololive decoys in the US version as well.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I, Butthole posted:

It really seems like they saw the Helldivers 2 marketing stuff and said "lets do the edf version of that"

Not that it matters because i will still slam the preorder button on steam asap

Other way around if anything. There were similar silly TV style commercials since at least 4.1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEOEAGMxNlI

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Paying2Lurk posted:

:sickos:

Hopefully they have the JP Hololive decoys in the US version as well.

Gonna be English ones instead.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Yeah those are in the commercial, but I hope they still have the JP ones too. In addition to the EN ones.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It would be expecting too much to have 6 decoys of Vtubers, instead of a bunch of video game NPCs.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Edf hype zone lets fuckin goooooo

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Hell yeah! Been waiting almost 2 years for this!!!

I've been playing a fair amount of edf 5 recently. Plays great on my steam deck, can take it places for splitscreen co-op using the dock. Can only hope edf 6 plays nicely too.

I could do with some advice on playing fencer. Im on a fresh hardmode run, i've played up to mission 50 with other characters. Never played much fencer, having a blast with the jump boosting. Mainly been running a jackhammer/shotgun combo with a jackhammer/cannon backup for when i need a bit more range.

The swords and hammers look fun, i had a pretty good time using stuff like that as the jet lifter in Iron Rain. The issue i have is that the default controls make it hard to hold a charge and use the dash/jump buttons at the same time. I've always held the controller with just my index fingers on the shoulder buttons and when i try to use 2 fingers it just feels wrong and uncomfortable. Is there a better way to set the controls or do i have to learn to hold the controller differently? The back buttons on the steam deck are great but i do play on controller too so not keen to rely on them too much.

That aside i've hit a bit of a wall on the mission where you take out the walking fortress, im struggling to find a good way to deal with the guns on the underside of the fortress. Once my edf buddies die the green lasers just make it impossible to get close. The cannons arent long range or accurate enough to do much and the mortars are not much good either being slow firing and hard to aim at the moving underside. The big mortars also have a zoom which means im a sitting duck when i have them out too.

I tried missiles but the best i have that doesnt need the air raider laser is this 8 target thing that takes forever to reload. Atill need to get

Id seen that fencer has a high learning curve but honestly starting out with the boosters that give three dashes and jumps and a level 17 shotgun has made hard mode pretty easy up until this point.

I do wish the jumps and dashes werent tied to specific weapon types as it feels like im limited to a loadout that has at least one jump boost combo. My other complaint is i wish there was some indicator of your cooldowns so i can tell when i can start jumpboosting again.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Don't know why it's taken so long but better late than never.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Mr Phillby posted:

The issue i have is that the default controls make it hard to hold a charge and use the dash/jump buttons at the same time. I've always held the controller with just my index fingers on the shoulder buttons and when i try to use 2 fingers it just feels wrong and uncomfortable. Is there a better way to set the controls or do i have to learn to hold the controller differently?

Don't know if I would call it better but I remap the boosts to face buttons, and reload and change weapon to the bumpers.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mr Phillby posted:

That aside i've hit a bit of a wall on the mission where you take out the walking fortress, im struggling to find a good way to deal with the guns on the underside of the fortress. Once my edf buddies die the green lasers just make it impossible to get close. The cannons arent long range or accurate enough to do much and the mortars are not much good either being slow firing and hard to aim at the moving underside. The big mortars also have a zoom which means im a sitting duck when i have them out too.

A pair of Light Mortars might be more effective at lower levels. If those aren't working, and you can't vertically multi-jump up close enough to shotgun the turrets with a Dispersal Mortar, you might just be stuck until you can grind up some armor.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
As fencer on hard mode I think I killed those cannons mostly with dual hand cannons and a muzzle stabilizer, just blasting away at them when I had moments to.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Mr Phillby posted:

Mainly been running a jackhammer/shotgun combo with a jackhammer/cannon backup for when i need a bit more range.

Are you taking a mobility weapon on both sets of guns? I usually have one with mobility and the second set up for double blasting and switch between them when I want to move. With a lot of weapons you can ensure you are never fully useless by staggering fire a bit and also cancel your recovery animations by firing the second gun, letting you shoot a lot faster.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If it's like the other boss battles, you can wait out the Pillar Cake to open up and charge into it. Little reason to keep shooting the guns besides the annoying lasers. They are timed battles.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Storm One posted:

Don't know if I would call it better but I remap the boosts to face buttons, and reload and change weapon to the bumpers.
I might have to try that, not ideal to let go of the right stick but like i already do for reloads and hops.

Hwurmp posted:

A pair of Light Mortars might be more effective at lower levels. If those aren't working, and you can't vertically multi-jump up close enough to shotgun the turrets with a Dispersal Mortar, you might just be stuck until you can grind up some armor.
Im used to ranger/wing diver where i can spend ages sniping from the other side of the map haha. The issue is after a certain point i cant get close to the cannons at all because every one is shooting me at once. Dispersal mortar may be a good idea though, give up on aiming and just go for maximum explosion coverage.

LazyMaybe posted:

As fencer on hard mode I think I killed those cannons mostly with dual hand cannons and a muzzle stabilizer, just blasting away at them when I had moments to.
Does the stabilizer improve acuracy or just reduce recoil? I should experiment although it does mean losing a jump boost.

Theswarms posted:

Are you taking a mobility weapon on both sets of guns? I usually have one with mobility and the second set up for double blasting and switch between them when I want to move. With a lot of weapons you can ensure you are never fully useless by staggering fire a bit and also cancel your recovery animations by firing the second gun, letting you shoot a lot faster.
I think this is the learning curve right here. Ive gotten used to having mobility to get put of trouble, having a loadout without it feels really clunky and dificult to manage with the swapping.

I have tried a non mobility loadout to swap to but i havent hit on anything effective enough for what im doing yet, theres also constant plasma balls from the fortress that make standing still for even a few seconds dicey.

Scalding Coffee posted:

If it's like the other boss battles, you can wait out the Pillar Cake to open up and charge into it. Little reason to keep shooting the guns besides the annoying lasers. They are timed battles.
I didnt build up armour by playing through normal so i cant survive long enough under the fortress to kill it. Its mainly the green lasers that are the issue, they lock on and slow your movement. I lack the finesse to take them out specifically!

Thanks for the advice all! What i love about edf is that its so broad, you can have a blast in the multiplayer but playing 1 player is also its own fun thing where your options are limited and some levels can feel like a puzzle where you're scrambling to find the one weapon that you disregarded as useless before but becomes key to win.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can do Easy and get it over with. You still advance. Coop has separate mission completes, so solo is whatever you feel like.

You build armor by starting over with another class on Hard and let them slowly build up your others, to deal with the tough missions. You do actual grinding after you beat the game and do Inferno runs. Armor grinding on anything less takes forever.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Thats all true and good advice.

Im already past this point with other characters and im using weapons that dropped from later levels. Im just trying to get a handle on the fencer and playing with what i have at the moment. Its just a specific scenario my previous strategy isnt equipped for. It feels possible and its fun to try other stuff.

In my ranger playthrough i hit a similar roadblock when the deroys showed up, shotgun/sniper wasnt cutting it i found a 34x lock-on missile launcher (a weapon class i often overlook) was vital in neutering the deroys from behind cover.

I have played through the whole game before multiple times but i usually stuck to wingdiver, which has been my go to since edf2. I usualy start at normal then lose interest a few missions in on hard so this time i wanted a little more challenge from the start which in hindsight may be counter to learning the newer classes (air raider is gunna be tough i think) but thats just what im doing lol

Edit: did it! The key was getting good with the heavy mortar.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 3, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mr Phillby posted:

Does the stabilizer improve acuracy or just reduce recoil? I should experiment although it does mean losing a jump boost.
Just reduce recoil, though hand cannons can get quite good base accuracy with good rolls.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

What's the weapon drop system in EDF6 like? Is is the per stat upgrades like EDF5 or back to EDF4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Identical to 5.