Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Any word on which console is the primary SKU? I'd imagine 360, but I honestly have no idea. The PAX demo was on 360.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Dominic White posted:

No levelling. There's a video somewhere showing how you're meant to play the Fencer - it's the crazy-technical class. You can cancel out of shooting/blocking animations to dash-dodge almost constantly. Oddly enough, it's the fastest class.

That's awesome to hear. I was worried that I'd be a bit bored as the Fencer with lack of movement capabilities.

What's kinda the breakdown on how the Ranger and Air Raider play?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Cowman posted:

They even scream when dead :kheldragar:

As an aside, I have never seen that smiley before and it's amazing.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

You should probably put dash cancel information under the Fencer section, as the class is nigh-unplayable without knowing about it.

Can someone explain this mechanic? I'm having trouble figuring it out, and I haven't had much luck finding the youtube video that people have mentioned demonstrating it.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Hmm. I guess the question is, does that replace the sheer awesomeness that is double wielding two melee weapons?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Wow, no slowdown when you have an explosion? I'm in!

I take it there's no news of a NA release? :smith:

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

How much english is there in the Japanese release of 4.1 right now?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

So I broke down and bought the JPN version of EDF 4.1. It's the second game that I've ever imported (behind the original Demon's Souls). Trip report!

• There's a LOT of Japanese. The menu and such are all the same if you're familiar with the localization so you don't have to worry about navigating.
  • That said, I do find the weapons pretty overwhelming. It's not that bad if you're playing Ranger or something, but I found the Fencer really quite daunting given the amount of sub-variation there is within a category and the amount of nuance some weapons have (like how some melee weapons have three charge levels, and each does a different thing.)
  • The framerate is super good, even in split-screen co-op. I did notice some framerate dips, but it was dipping from 60 to 40ish as opposed to 30 to 5.
  • There's some texture popin when levels load, akin to older Unreal 3 titles.
  • The caves lacking ambient light entirely changes those levels from a gameplay perspective. They're now really cool and quite daunting.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the experience, but if there's a localization I'll likely end up buying it again so I can play a Fencer.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

So, yeah, I wasn't super convinced about the PS4 import until I played Mission 11. Seeing 100+ airships on screen with no slowdown whatsoever while dashing around as a wing diver was amazing.

They need to localize this so I can buy it for a third time.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Welp, this will now be the fourth time I've bought this game. No regrets!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

So what is the read on how the four classes shake out in the end? How do they compare to each other?