Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Time to go on a whole lot of thrilling underground expeditions. EDF! EDF! EDF!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nah, the one with the actual cocaine is EDF2, EDF3 is 70s era Coke.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DisDisDis posted:

So is the PS2 EDF emulation bad because the game is by nature a huge resource hog or does it have compatibility issues? I've been itching to play one of these for a while.

The game makes the PS2 cry tears of blood. I haven't given it a try yet but it uses the same engine as RAD, which apparently has some compatibility problems.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Alehkhs posted:

Have some more footage and comparisons to earlier EDF titles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQEgK2-oc0g

All I saw there is that the PC Master Race needs to demand their access to the Game of the Generation.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Father Wendigo posted:

And I owe you a great deal of thanks for letting me have one of them. :shobon:

As a filthy poor plebeian who's never been able to sample the series, what's the learning curve like?

There's bugs, you shoot them. Sometimes you dodgeroll or jump over kneehigh obstacles.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Did they copy IA's one good addition to the series: the Air Burner?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is there still a lone Godzilla mission for you to cheese higher difficulty guns out of with Pale Wing?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yes, but that doesn't involve riding Godzilla like a rodeo bull.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Welp, I should probably quit replaying EDF2 and get back to hollering for a pc release.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The thing to remember about Wing Diver is that you're not a sniper. You have some long range weapons but good ones are few and far between while rapiers and lightning shotguns wreck everything forever.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, I've just seen too many reviews talk like you're supposed to hang back and plink when that's basically your last resort. The starting rapier has more dps than most midgame weapons if you jam it right in a bug's face.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The first 2 EDF games were in RAD's engine, so it's not hard to find the similarities.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Are centipedes, rolypolies, and those bastardy black mirrors in this one?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I guess the centipedes weren't much more than crazy lag generators but the mirrors were FUN.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Even then the Ranger's idea of crazy is 30 grenades at once or a zillion homing missiles that form a big grin in the air. Or maybe a contact grenade that you can barely throw 6 feet that has a giant explosion for way more damage than anything else at that point.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

A Wing Diver who leave a Rapier at home is a shameful little bitch.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Seiren posted:

I counter this by saying that a Rapier is terrible for killing flying drones and I prefer a Laser Lance for those occasions.

Try the rapier thrust series, or a thunder sniper once those get silly. Later thunder snipers end up shooting 40 bolts at a time and pretty much turn into shotguns that happen to have sniper range.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Wing Divers are basically designed to give everyone else weapon envy. Until the 1000000 damage derp guns for beating every stage on Inferno show up you won't see a single gun stronger than a Rapier of similar level and very few guns clear tunnels as quickly and safely as the Thunder Bow series.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You won't get the best guns til endgame levels but since you can get all previous weapons in a given drop it can take a while to get inferno guns.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And every now and then an Inferno boss decides to drop you a Mirage Zero and Thunder Sniper Prototype just to be an rear end in a top hat.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Oh wow, hadn't realized how hard they nerfed Rapiers in the new one. The original EDF2 Rapier hits as hard as your M3 Rapier and the new Master Rapier barely does more damage than the old Rapier G.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Easy, Normal and Hard have mostly the same drop pools, just accelerated a bit on hard so you're better off trying to tough out hard than wading through easy/normal if you want better guns. The first mission on hard can drop guns you won't find til the end of easy or middle of normal.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

None of Sandlot's other games ever did. With Japanese devs, sometimes I wonder if they even know what a PC is.

Some people at D3 have teased the idea to get people yelling about it on Twitter and Facebook.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Crusher posted:

I love how Fencer NPCs sound like they are in their suits for the very first time.

"I feel like a robot!"

They probably are. The EDF has casualty rates that make X-Com cringe.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

rawdog pozfail posted:

Wing Divers get thrown weapons :wtc:

2 kinds. A series of plasma grenades that are basically their plasma cannons with stupid long reloads, slow shots and no power drain and the far left list of "support" weapons that throw a slow moving ball of light that hovers and sprays lasers/bullets/lightning in some direction listed in the description. They're kind of a proto-turret you can use to pin down an area of enemies or pile some extra damage on something big. If the ball itself hits anything it disappears without shooting.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Can you still cancel the followthrough on those by switching weapons after they leave your hand? In EDF2 you can get some pretty silly dps out of them that way.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You might still be able to take a pair of plasma whips and farm Crimson as a Wing Diver. They're longer ranged rapiers with more shots at a really wide angle that let you pain lock huge piles of them. One mistake and you're bug food but what else is new?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, the lightning guns that bounce along surfaces instead of off them are pretty ridiculous against big targets. There's no beating a Master Rapier T wrecking him in 3 seconds flat, though.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 13, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ah mah, half the point of those was the anticipation as you waited for the slow shots to connect, not hitscan bullshit.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Early on some guys at D3 teased about maybe getting a port if people spammed their Facebook page about it enough but I haven't seen any mention of it since.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

But watching your system cry when Godzilla charges through several city blocks is half the fun.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TTBF posted:

They look like the robots from Robot Alchemic Drive, which I believe was made by the same developers as EDF. Those controlled extremely oddly and took some getting used to. The controls eventually clicked for me but you can expect more than a few reviews citing horrible controls for the robots.

They made a bunch of robot games, including DS game where every robot has different touchscreen controls and a licensed Tetsujin 28 (aka Gigantor) game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TTBF posted:

Wouldn't happen to know the name of the DS game, would you? I'd be interested in checking it out.

Chou Soujuu Mecha MG. There's also Remote Control Dandy on the PS1 (they made it when they were still part of Human Entertainment) and it's sequel Remote Control Dandy SF on the PS2.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Why anyone would cite "framerate issues" as a problem in an EDF game is beyond me. Go play EDF2/GDF and get off my lawn.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Doc Morbid posted:

You press L3+R3 to do the charge. I don't know if it does anything (maybe you can do different punches when it's activated?), but it sure looks pretty baller.

If they went all the way with the RADness it activates your rocket punches, chest lasers and the like.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I haven't played 4 but Pale Wing (Wing Diver's predecessor) was all about feathering your boost button and bringing at least one weapon with a magazine so you could reliably attack from the air. Most likely that would be a Rapier because those things were hilariously powerful.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

In EDF2 Pale Wing could do the first Godzilla fight on Inferno with starting gear because you could get right up and ride the drat thing while wrecking it with Rapiers.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Better than rapiers for red ants are the plasma whips, since they have a much wider spread so you can stunlock a lot more ants at a time. With 2 equipped you never have to let go of the trigger. Takes bloody ages if you're trying to kill really high level ones, though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm actually kinda disappointed that PCSX2 runs EDF2 really, really well. Better than hardware well. No slow mo when poo poo gets nuts well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm running the PAL version at 2x native and it looks fine. Load screens look like poo poo on 3x but otherwise it plays fine.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Dec 8, 2015