Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Neo Helbeast posted:

2025 has over 700 guns in it, two of which are an Orbital Laser and a 4 person coop Mech. Pack it in other games, it's GOTY 2014 already.

Also includes hilariously fun ragdoll and the basic enemy type can grab and throw you 200 feet in the air, where you flap around limply before (usually) landing a safe distance from the battle (there's no falling damage)

Pack it up, Infamous and Evolve and The Order and your next gen crap. I'll be playing EDF with my buds and getting into insane, epic Rangnaroks with bizarre weapons and vehicles long after the glamour of your shaders and your lighting and particle effects have worn off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah, if you liked terrible Insect Armageddon then imagine a game that is 25x bigger and better in every way. That's the 'real' EDF.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mister Adequate posted:

SEVEN HUNDRED GUNS?!

Ahem.

I don't know it sounds more like Game Of The loving Whole Of Time And Space to me.

Keep in mind a pretty significant portion of them are just upgrades (i.e. the Slow Hard Hitting Shotgun v1, v2, v3 vs. the Fast Weaker Shotgun v1, v2, v3 is like 6 guns right there)

But still. 700. There is going to be some gems in there.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

If I could change two things about EDF 2025, it would be: armor applies for all characters, and duplicate weapon pickups instead become armor. That would make it p. much perfect imo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ineffiable posted:

I don't think anyone is sure it can do couch co-op with two online players or something.

I'm sure you can do two player couch co-op online on the Xbox 360. Like Borderlands 2. There's a Japanese video of it somewhere on Youtube.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Eurogamer now holds the dubious honor of having the best review of EDF, and the worst.

As for myself the family is at home playing while I'm stuck in a waiting room. Torture!

One question: I assume it is the Air Raider who gets the orbital lasers?

Edit: thinking that EDF is about shooting giant ants is like thinking Tetris is about rotating blocks, to counter that 2025 Eurogamer review with a concept from the 2017 Eurogamer review.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Philthy posted:

Missing the dive moves. You can only jump now? What's up with that?

The Ranger for sure has a roll. Seen it on several streams.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Rabidredneck posted:

I'll stick with ground vehicles, at least they're useful now.

I dunno man, I'm pretty bad with Gigantus. They don't even give you a targeting reticle!

Enter Char posted:

Does anyone have issues with the dualshock 4 in this game? It feels like I run slower when I'm using it, and when I get into a tank I cant shoot the cannon.

Known bug.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I yelped with glee when I attacked a bunch of spiders with the stage 3 Vibro-Hammer attack. That doesn't happen much anymore.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I believe you can also do salutes and other pre-canned animations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ok, Mission 39 spoilers below.

I need to know what to do about FLYING GIANT INSECTS: THE HORNETS as the Fencer because they are beating my rear end down. You have to keep moving against these guys but the Fencer has no real way to stick and move that also is able to one-shot these guys effectively. It's not so bad on Mission 39 but on Mission 40 it starts to get bad, real bad. When I stand still to take a shot I get wailed on and lose 100+ health easily.

Please help. Maybe I'm a few levels away from having something to deal with them? I don't know. I'm able to rip them apart with every other class so what am I doing wrong?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Gyoru posted:

You can pick the good Fencers apart online by how well they dash cancel (if they even know how) and if they can fight at range even with close combat weapons.

How the heck do you fight at range with close combat weapons? They have a max range and then they go kaput. I want to hear Tips From Great Fencers because, as you said, it's a really heavy skill-based class and I enjoy getting better with it.

edit: oh ok you're talking about the 40m ranges. To me that's still close fighting. EDF "long range", to me, is like 300m or more.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I was a Jackhammer Man but once I got the Blasthole Spear M3 I never looked back. The spear actually has a two hit combo, and the second hit has tremendous range and does 1700 damage. Both pierce, so in pack situations you can get 2 - 4 kills with a single hit. It's all reliant on positioning and situational awareness. I really like that the Fencer is not some big dumb turret, but actually has a bunch of tools and techniques and it's up to you, the player, to make them work. I've stopped pointlessly dash-cancelling everywhere and started using the shield to actually correctly block attacks and the amount of punishment that he can take is pretty amazing. Blocking with the shield causes massive pushback and if you do it right can actually push you away from threats almost as effectively as dashing. Don't get me wrong, I still have a long way to go but it's a really fun, unique experience that I haven't had in any other video game.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Marogareh posted:

I've been farming DLC 16 and death queen for five hours on Inferno and the FGZ gatling does not want to drop :shepicide:. I'm starting to really loving hate the drop system in this game on higher difficulties.

I have never gotten more than halfway through Hardest on any EDF game because of the stupid Armor and Weapon grinding.

Maybe someday they'll do something about that, but I doubt it. Even without touching Hardest and Inferno this is a really fun game.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I've seen rumblings about the Fencer getting a new evade in 4.1...can someone tell me exactly what that is? I'm a dumbo who can't figure it out.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

lets hang out posted:

When you get launched you can dash to recover quickly instead of having to wait for yourself to stop ragdolling. Wing Diver can do the same

Thanks dude! I appreciate it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Gentlemen...we have achieved Peak EDF.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

However, if you get good with them helos are very safe against a lot of enemies and can do a lot of damage.

The secret to flying them is just pretend that they take 7 seconds to reflect what you are doing because they basically do. Be patient and wait for them to swing into position and be careful not to oversteer. Once you master that you can actually do ok with them. They are never going to be great but they can stay aloft indefinitely and that's not something to overlook.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

So how are the new missions, guys? New maps? I saw green ants but are their any other new enemies?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You get to keep half your armor and weapons when you die now, and armor goes to all classes.

Source: some jerkass on Reddit, he might be lying

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 7, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I am reasonably confident, or I wouldn't have posted. But ultimately I can't verify.

Armor increase for all classes after a mission:
https://www.reddit.com/r/EDF/comments/7hyv53/armor_increases_for_all_classes_after_mission/

Keeping half armor:
https://www.reddit.com/r/EDF/comments/7gm4qj/edf5_when_you_die_you_get_to_keep_half_the_armor/

If someone can read Japanese and verify, that would be nice.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Genuinely loving the theremin they've smeared all over the soundtrack to make it "sci fi"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm bummed that this is around 250 days away, but I'm happy they addressed most of the problems I had with the game series. I've played all the EDFs and this was the first one that I was thinking about skipping.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'd like to hear more about Iron Rain.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

New trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u9MuyC4d1M

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mayor Mike Haggar, fresh from his 6 month coma, has strapped on the EXO-skeleton and is ready to blast some bugs.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

"We gave the Air Raider's airstrikes to every class and gave them a grapple hook and the ability to call in enemy mounts and also we got rid of the silly lotto weapons system"

Me: hell yeah

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yes they've said that all the Air Raider "weapon" stuff" (airstrikes, lasers, missiles) can be equipped by anyone. Yes, your wing diver can now throw an airstrike at their feet and then jet out of the area of effect and watch ants fly everywhere. Heck yeah!

edit: here's a vid where you can see the "new" Air Raider, who uses a grapple and an anime sword and rides around on a big blue scorpion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLaSrv1ad7E

btw Grenades are on the left bumper now, they aren't a full on weapon.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 9, 2019

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

My biggest thing is that I haven't seen big framerate destroying swarms. That's all I ask. Everything else looks really tight and exactly what I would want.

It is very interesting that the streamers/reviewers are not allowed to discuss certain things, and that a couple of them have hinted there's a big change up later in the game. My theory is fighting the evil EDF.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 10, 2019

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Here's a breakdown of the classes for my thread friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ04_ZXq3go

The dude is a bit low energy but there's a lot of good info.

Takeaway:

Trooper is now Air Raider + Trooper. Can call in vehicles, but FYI those vehicles cost the money you earn during the levels so use them sparingly!
Jet Lifter is classic Wing Diver
Heavy Striker seems like the Fencer, but a bit dumbed down. They auto-dual wield all weapons you equip. No more hammer + shield :( They have an energy meter that they can use to either jet around the map or throw up a damage-reduction shield
Prowl Rider is a grapple monster with an element of mobility skill. He has less item capacity than the Trooper.

There are all variants that unlock later, but the host claims their core gameplay remains the same.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Stayed up late to play. Got through 10 missions. It starts reeeeally slow but now it's doing Real EDF poo poo. Enjoying most of the changes. Game is not serious at all but they did remove some overt goofiness but you can do stuff like put a miniskirt on your male character (clothes not gender locked) . Framerate absolutely destroyed during one hectic fight which is a good thing. More later.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 11, 2019

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You can actually switch the field of view to the more classic EDF look. It's an option in the menus.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It's too early to tell. It started slow, I've had a couple of missions that started to come together but then they ended.

I suspect that this is going to come out a lot better than Insect Armageddon but a little worse than EDF 4.1. I really do like most of the changes they've made. I was sick of weapon lootboxing and armor grinding and I'm glad it's gone.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Here's a very fair review of Iron Rain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UalwhAj8PSg

Same guy who did the class guide I posted earlier, so he's a bit low energy but overall pretty good.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

That is wonderful. Thank you for posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Reallycoolname posted:

All I'm hearing is that they need to make the PC the main platform for EDF so they can finally fill every square inch of the game world with ants without framedrop.

I mean, we all know their hands were tied because haha gotta support the PS4 non-pro too.

Me, in 2003, playing on PS2: Man I can't wait until next console generation, then they'll have the power to finally fill every square inch of the game world with ants without framedrop
Me, in 2006, playing on Xbox360: Man I can't wait until the next console generation, then they'll have the power to finally fill every square inch of the game world with ants without framedrop
Me, in 2014, playing on PS4: Man I can't wait until the next console generation, then they'll have the power to finally fill every square inch of the game world with ants without framedrop