Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
So EDF is on the PSN Store under the new add-ons section but it just leads to a blank page. Is it normal for PSN to take this long to release games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Finally up on the store

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Internet Friend posted:

I really want to play Fencer but they just seem so bad compared to everyone else. Their melee is great but the big guns don't seem to do enough damage for how cumbersome they are to use. Mission 23 or so with all the Hectors seems impossible without guns from a higher difficulty.

Maybe it's just because I've only played as a fencer in EDF, but I find the guns work fine, you just need to get used to correcting recoil 24/7. Playing on hard, I change weapons for specific enemies, like dual wield hand cannons for hectors and mortars for the smaller things. I also have a boost weapon and javelin catapult to boost cancel. It outruns everything so I'm usually the one to revive others and collect items

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Moochewmoo posted:

Can someone explain fencer for an idiot? I keep wanting to play the class but everything is so cripplingly unresponsive. If I try and shoot something the animations are so long that I easily get overwhelmed and slaughtered.

I've had really good luck with the air lady but having ammo tied pretty much directly to movement is getting me killed at the worst times. The air support dude seems really fun when you have a good vehicle, but so far I've gotten awful tanks and a walker that explodes when spiders look at it. The crawler mech is cool but I can't get a decent replacement one.

How does the ranger compare to the other 3?

I'm at mission 65 on hard as Fencer and I have no idea how to survive without using boost cancel. My secondary slots are always equipped with the lvl 14 javalen catapult and a boost weapon like a blast spear. Hold fire button with javelin, spam boost and you can boost 300 times in a row until you have to reload the javelins. Most of the time I'm boosting around looking for a good time to shoot my cannons or missiles at the enemy, but a good spear really helps too. I'm usually the last one alive on the tough missions so I can just kite and shoot my spear inbetween boosts at all the bugs chasing me, it works really well if it can penetrate

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
What's up with the huge increase in difficulty on mission 96? Once all those elite bugs come out everyone dies, and that's with us being careful not to aggro too many. Playing on hard and took 1500 damage in one shot. I'm pretty sure the team was decent too, everyone had above 2k armor which is rare with randoms. Should I just move onto hardest and try for some better weapons?

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Is there any good reason for farming mission 80 instead of 81? 80 takes a lot longer and has less drops but I see so many people running it

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Those green ants are insane, the game drops to like 5 fps when I use my blasthole spear on a group of them. I'm playing all the DLC missions on my fencer first, but I'm wondering how are you supposed to survive them as a ranger or air raider? Just keep shooting and hope they don't get near? I was playing with a random and I had to pretty much solo the green ant missions by boost canceling, and even then they were right on me the whole time

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
What do you guys think of this steamdb leak? Mission pack 1 and 2 make me think it's actually real, but it's listed as "Earth Defense Forth 4.1"
https://steamdb.info/app/411380/subs/
https://steamdb.info/app/410780/subs/

I've been getting into this game again but now I don't know if it's worth it to keep going if it's coming to PC.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Yeah I'd get it on PC for the mods. I just hope they don't plan on selling the DLC packs separately again, I've only been able to play them a few times because barely anyone plays.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

VulgarandStupid posted:

Have the mods been historically good for the EDF series?

No idea, I've only played EDF on console. I'd like to mess around with the weapons eventually, if that's even possible.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Section Z posted:

I'm probably going to end up using Ranger constantly again.

I want to love Wing Diver but I am just the most absolute garbage at properly flying AND managing their energy at the same time.

There is a ton of time where using Wingdiver is such a loving joy and kicks so much insect rear end compared to Ranger, like being a living blender and lightning buffet against Crimson or any tunnel heavy mission. But then UFO's or Motherships or other high altitude and high health targets show up and ugh :suicide: Come back Vanilla Soldier man, your rockets and rifles able to murder poo poo a million miles away as well as nearby are sorely missed.

That's when you use the short range lasers and completely destroy them. Except for the mothership. Laser chainsaw was my best friend for most of hard mode, you can pretty much avoid everything if you can land on top of something high up like a dropship. Wait for the hatch to open and it takes like 3 seconds to kill. Same with hectors, the high fire rate makes them recoil so much that they can't even hit you.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I actually rarely play solo so yeah I have no idea how that'll work. In MP all the ground units are going for my teammates which lets me use a bunch of my energy to get close to the big things to take them out. Of course, if you get killed then you're just really far away from your teammates who then have to deal with everything, so it's risky. Sage Grimm's strategy is safer for certain missions where you need to stay together

And if you didn't know, you do recharge energy faster if it's completely depleted, so if you time reloads properly you can land somewhere to recharge for a few seconds while shooting enough to stun anything nearby. I can see solo missions taking quite awhile if you don't have powerful WD weapons unlocked

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Information straight from D3 Publisher regarding mouse and keyboard support:

D3PJ posted:

yes, sure.

I sent them an e-mail earlier about the possibility of save importing, and whether or not the game has cheat protection, no reply yet

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Working pretty well for me. 60 fps, mouse and keyboard support, text chat

GTX 770, i5 4670

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

The Skeleton King posted:

Is there any chance that they are going to patch this to run on AMD Phenom II processors, or am I hosed?

Someone mentioned on the steam forums that D3 is aware of the AMD bug and they're looking into it

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

VulgarandStupid posted:

Anyone know if this supports ultra wide screen? 21:9

You need to hex edit the exe for 21:9 without stretching

quote:

Did some quick fiddling around with a hex editing the exe and if im not mistaken the stretching issue seems to be fixed by changing the value 39 8E E3 3F to a value that matches your aspect ratio. Such as 3440x1440 = 8E E3 18 40 / 2560x1080 = 26 B4 17 40.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Dominic White posted:

I'm surprised at how good a port this is. The menus are clunky, obviously, and there's not too many options, but it runs silky smooth and even the netcode is rock solid. Mouse controls are tight and precise and responsive too.

Finally, the definitive EDF, and it's on PC.

Yeah I was honestly expecting a terrible port with a bunch of negative reviews, or a decently playable framerate at best with bad m+kb support but it's working great. I keep expecting my frames to tank but it's all been 60 fps so far, even with the genocide gun

They still need to fix that AMD issue though

Deviant posted:

Do the alternate classes like Wing Diver sing the EDF Fight Songs yet?

Nope, nothing's changed from the ps4 version

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Someone on facepunch is working on an AMD processor fix
https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1485444&p=50744918&viewfull=1#post50744918
https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1485444&p=50746058&viewfull=1#post50746058

So I guess the AMD issue will be unofficially fixed by tomorrow

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
That unofficial amd fix is out now, seems to work
http://steamcommunity.com/app/410320/discussions/0/359543951711039341/

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Blattdorf posted:

So I finished Normal with a Ranger after about 20 hours. This game is bonkers. Maybe I'll get tired of it after 200 hours, who knows.

How do the mission packs compare to what's in the main campaign?

Mission packs are good, they manage to make it crazier than the normal game

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

DatonKallandor posted:

This game must be a nightmare on a gamepad, it requires tons of extremely rapid precision aiming. For some of the vehicles I can see it, but that's such a small part of the game.

The only thing that really needed precision was sniping drones out of the air, possible on gamepad but it's much easier with the mouse. Red drones pretty much require a homing weapon on gamepad though, thank god this has proper mouse support.
I was a playing wingdiver with another random wingdiver and air raider on that one mission where you're swarmed with drones and those laser ships, 57 I think. The air raider brought 2 health posts and just kept putting them down while me and the other wing diver were using the laser rifle and lance to take out everything in the air. We were focusing the lasers on the red drones while they were spinning like crazy, bouncing off all the buildings. It worked surprisingly well.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah gently caress it, I just used the cheats to (more or less) "copy" over my armor numbers from my PS4 save. I ain't gonna do that particular part of the grind over again already.

Is there a trainer or something that lets you set the exact armor value? I wanna get my ps4 armor back too

Speaking of trainers, armageddon cluster + no reload
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMUIo6mWq5w

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Light Gun Man posted:

The steam forums for the game are full of threads where someone bitches about playing a game online with someone cheating and ending up getting a huge pile of armor afterwards and how this has forever ruined their saves.

Of course they don't seem to understand that they could just as easily use the same cheats to set their armor back. Or use the built-into-the-game option to lower your own armor. Or realize that unless they're over 70% complete already anyway most of that armor isn't going to actually be available to them during missions.

I used this one for it: http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=593526

The numbers aren't 1:1 so like I have about 9000 armor on most of my PS4 dudes and for this code the value to get there was like 22,250 (and double that for wing diver).

Thanks. I've played through hard mode like 5 times now. Time to cheat back my armor and finally finish hardest/inferno

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Any smart computer people in this thread? I extracted a few .bat files from the game, dunno if anything can be done with them though

ALIEN4LEGTANK301_AI.BAT posted:

preview_mode

db_activate xgs_console 0

end_scene
map_no_camera ig_TestLightMap fine

enemy Alien4LegTank301.sgo -76 0 233 3.14
ghost_camera 0

set_generator 0 app:/object/Ufo301.sgo 1800 15 10

player -76 0 533 3.14

2PLAYER.BAT posted:

preview_mode

db_activate xgs_console 0

end_scene
map_no_camera ig_TestLightMap fine

set_player_count 2

player -76 6 233 3.14

REM set_invincible

ADDSOLDIER.BAT posted:

friend_squad AiArmySoldier_AF_Leader.sgo AiArmySoldier_AF.sgo 20 -66 10 203 0

Playing around with a console in this game would be amazing

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Obsurveyor posted:

Miscellaneous comments:

ALIEN4LEGTANK301_AI.BAT: set_generator line might be the spawner setup. If you changed app:/object/Ufo301.sgo to something else, you could have it drop other things. The numbers are probably how many to drop and a timer. If you can replace this file and make it work, I suggest looking up the path to the ALIENT4LEGTANK and have it drop more of itself. :v:

2PLAYER.BAT: "REM set_invincible" if you removed the REM, the players would probably be invincible.

player line is probably spawn coordinates in both.

If anyone somehow manages to get the .bat files working I'd like to see dropships dropping a bunch of friendly marines and insects right next to eachother. There were only a few .bats in the game file so I'm thinking they were using them to test for bugs or something

Kanos posted:

Stage 96: Demon Army online is an absolutely murderous difficulty jump. Quite literally starting the mission covered in a legion of those bastard upgraded drones with the bullshit stunlock lasers and being given roughly 20 seconds to kill all of them before infinity ants/spiders/bees drown you while being bombarded by blue hectors that are also marching towards you and oh here are more drones is the first I've actually become frustrated at the game. My friends and I(Air Raider, Fencer, Ranger, Wing Diver/Ranger) are getting overwhelmed by the initial waves before we even start working on the hives.

Seriously, on Hard with 2.2k armor as an Air Raider I'm nearly dying before my vehicle even arrives, and by the time the vehicle arrives I'm up to my rear end in a top hat in bugs that kill any vehicle I bring instantly anyway.

Probably the hardest mission in the game, you need some good teamwork. Aggro 1 nest at a time so you don't get overwhelmed, cause once you attack the ant hills in the middle you get a bunch of gold/silver bugs to deal with. I always found it easiest to take out the drones and hectors first, then the nests left to right

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Kanos posted:

Taking out the drones, the initial bug wave, and the hectors first is the problem. We're not even making it to attacking the hives. :smith:

You guys low on armor? You'll need some decent AA for the drones, their lasers are almost impossible to get away from. And that's not even the hardest part of that mission either. You might have to switch difficulties to stock up on weapons and armor

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Ah mission 42. "On our earth, there's no water for aliens"

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
This table's a little easier
http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?p=5683295&sid=dddcd00a1ae858e0f8a222fa8b4767de

You can set your armor values in the lobby rather than playing through a mission.

Also, here's what happens when you get out of the depth crawler while on a cave ceiling
http://giant.gfycat.com/ActiveQuarrelsomeBlackcrappie.webm

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Cowman posted:

how do you make these really nice gifs?

It's just an avi that I uploaded to gfycat. I just save a shadowplay clip, render, upload to gfycat and it converts it to a webm. You need to change the url by adding "giant" to the beginning and "webm" at the end. So gfycat.com/ActiveQuarrelsomeBlackcrappie becomes giant.gfycat.com/ActiveQuarrelsomeBlackcrappie.webm

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I didn't think this was possible. This was the 6th restart and I was ready to leave but then it finally happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4beBaPm0Gk

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
This was my first time driving a bike, is this normal?

http://giant.gfycat.com/ConfusedSparklingKingsnake.webm

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Captain Invictus posted:

Is there word on if/when the DLC will come to PC?

Mission pack 1 & 2 have been in steamdb for awhile

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
A balam threw me today
http://giant.gfycat.com/UnhappyRawCobra.webm

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Scalding Coffee posted:

Has anyone ever been inside an alien transport when its doors close? Roomy enough to move and jump in? I am planning for an experiment.

It's a good place to recharge your battery and then rapier/chainsaw when the hatch opens.

I've also been inside the mothership on mission 40 once and was able to do enough damage to skip the 3rd wave, where it deploys all the big laser cannons.

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 5, 2016

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Natrox brings us the framerate unlocker!
http://steamcommunity.com/app/410320/discussions/0/360671727316560136/

Animations still run at 60 fps, but it fixes the mouse sensitivity changing if your frame rate tanks so its good even if you don't have a high refresh rate monitor

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Love the lines of dragons in the mission pack

https://giant.gfycat.com/ThoughtfulElasticEyas.webm

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

I haven't played much air raider except through most hard missions, so I'm only now finding how amazing his weapons can be
http://giant.gfycat.com/RecentActiveBushbaby.webm

I also decided to take a shot that I was 99% sure I was going to miss, poo poo my pants when I didn't miss
http://giant.gfycat.com/SimilarTerrificAmphiuma.webm

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Brick Dust Otis posted:

wow incredible shooting. is the guard assist gun any good?

As dis astranagant said, the reload time's really quick for what it does. Same with the power assist gun. You can stick your whole team with power and defense and have another 6 ready in around 40 seconds. Not sure how well the buffs stack though

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

McKilligan posted:

Someone hasn't need an all-whale Monster Party bridge genocide.

Had that happen yesterday and it was amazing. We all sang the EDF song while driving our ambulances to the bridge, then had nonstop artillery text covering the screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Captain Invictus posted:

Are rangers the weakest endgame class?

Don't know about that, I saw 3 rangers take down the mothership in mission 40 inferno within a few seconds.