Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Never played EDF before. I was under the impression that weapons would level up as you use them. I'm on mission 7 and have been using mostly the same weapons since the start but they're still level 0. Does leveling unlock in a later mission or am I just doing something wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Whoever it was in the EDF chain of command that decided to save on costs by instituting the 'keep what weapons you find' policy clearly never anticipated that I'd get my hands on this level of firepower.

At this point it would probably be best for everyone involved if they just left the giant insects alone to do their thing. Dropping me into a warzone should be considered a crime against humanity

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Man, I think friendly fire is the single most dangerous enemy in the game. There's certain weapons I just can't use in online because even if it doesn't look like I'm aiming anywhere close to anyone, the second I push the trigger someone behind me just instantly dies somehow. Playing as a ranger any melee class in the room just makes me go, well, poo poo.

I just want to fire rockets into big hordes of bugs :smith:

E: tight corridor levels should just have the Benny hill music play automatically

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

PSN headquarters has clearly been overrun by the bugs

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

lets hang out posted:

getting mulched by a thousand drones is a familiar feel

Yeah that 5th(?) mission is a real jump on hard. Got to the point where I was surviving alright until the mothership fires something and then my camera locks on the event and every drone nearby turns me into a fine mist while I have no control

Better luck tomorrow I’m sure!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Is there a good place to farm some decent weapons early? I feel like it’s more difficult in this game with the higher difficulties locked early

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Marogareh posted:

For those that have finished a run and want to grind out new shiny inferno weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOeRA6qpat0&app=desktop

Beats the hell out of grind stages in the prior game.

61 online (62 offline) is what I’ve been using since there’s a parking garage right next to spawn you can camp out in. As long as you don’t use explosives and blow up the building you’re invincible and it’s impossible to gently caress up the beginning

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Storm One posted:

I think you can jump to a late game Hardest mission, grab every weapon crate you can and a % of those stay with you even if you fail the mission.

The easiest Inferno farming mission was 101, the all green ants one, you could use a WD as bait/murder machine and have the rest of the team pick up the drops. Maybe there's still some way to make it work now, I think the enemy waves are dealt with faster than 61 and 87.

Oh yeah there’s definitely more efficient ways to farm but 61 you could do with starting equipment without even looking at the screen 90% of the time

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

nnnotime posted:

Great, thanks for the info. I'll be on the lookout for the MLRA 30.

I'm sure this was reported here when EDF 5 was first released last year, but EDF 5 is much more difficult than before, at least for the Fencer. On the first Drone level it was too tough for Normal difficulty, so I had to drop it down to Easy.

I'm not sure if because the starting weapons and armor are weaker than in EDF 4 or if the starting enemies are stronger, or both.

It's definitely _not_ because I'm an unskilled noob, so don't even say it. :nono:

That first drone level sucks real bad when you first run into it. It’s definitely a huge difficulty spike and successive missions aren’t that hard again for a while

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Leal posted:

I'm at mission 46 on hard, am I ever gonna get a better weapon then the split ball and spark whip? Everything is just so hilariously costly in the energy department that I need to decide if I should use weaker weapons that'll let me actually fly around or use stronger weapons but basically sit on the floor. And even then, I'll be able to shoot like twice before going into emergency charge mode.

I like the phalanx line for a lot of situations. Energy cost isn’t that bad and you shred anything close in front of you

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Game is so much better when you actually get a decent team composition online. So far it seems like the best team setup is two people alternating through the song, one guy doing exercise gestures, and the last guy shouting every variation of EDF

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Oh poo poo totally forgot this was out today. So in

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

How the heck do you leave a squad once you’re in game? I don’t see any option to quit mission and if the host wants to keep slamming us into a hopeless mission it seems like you just need to shut down the game at the console screen??

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Also there doesn’t seem to be any way to filter out locked rooms or even see which rooms are locked without trying to join them? Wtf

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

This game feels pretty rough right now. It’s got a couple cool things going on but in a world where edf5 is still pretty fresh I’d have a hard time recommending it to, like, anyone

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Anybody else getting constant freezes in EDF 5 pc? Works fine on my desktop but freezing constantly on my laptop. Did all the usual stuff like fresh install game and drivers, turn off all video options, and run in windowed mode.

Laptop hits the minimum specs so I’m really out of ideas

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Nalesh posted:

Disable gsync if it has it.

Oddly the pc has gsync forced on and has no issues and the laptop has all vsync forced off (and doesn’t even support gsync) and is the one having problems

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

WB seems pretty good and fun. I'm not sure I love the actual action of character collecting because it just means flying around the map to the exclamation points as another box to check during the mission, but mixing and matching characters/gear once you get them is cool.

Some of those caricatures though, man. Not often you see 'Mexican dude with sombrero, guitar, and a tequila based special ability' type character in modern gaming lol

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

game is basically like the Small World disney ride executed with Japan's usual level of care around racial stereotypes

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

tensai posted:

There are some questionable characters that I wondered if they would survive the localization. So far, it seems so.

Yeah I'd say.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Game is fun but if you want to play with others I would definitely recommend against getting the steam release, at least. Not a single room pops up in a search right now, the day after release

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

All I remember from WB1 was that I couldn’t find a multiplayer game the day after release on steam and it felt like I might be committing some kind of hate crime by playing it

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I just really like multimissiles in any game. Especially if they fly all crazy like

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Every time I see more than 10 unread posts in this thread I briefly dare to dream

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Tristesse posted:

YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

EDF EDF EDF!!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Oh we are the valiant infantry.
We are the alpha team with passion and camaraderie.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

lets hang out posted:

It's the same

I wish they would at least change it so password protected rooms not showing on the list was the default

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

ranger 4 life

luv 2 ranger

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

The Asian release, English dub of EDF6 copies came out early for Playstation and so far, the dubbing is glorious 90s era videogame work.
edit: You, the MC, still grunts in Japanese though.
edit: There was some omitted opening text that was likely bugged out. This effort sounds like C team work.

For anyone who's immediately down for C team EDF (me) and doesn't know how to get this, the basic process is:

1) Create new PSN account for either Singapore, Hong Kong, or Taiwan (I have Singapore)
2) Buy a PSN gift card for that specific region. Playasia can provide the code to you digitally/instantly if you want to go through them. Note that your credit card company is very likely to decline this initially
3) Buy the game on your foreign PSN account using that gift card

You don't need to stay on your foreign PSN account to play. It will be available from your normal PSN account as well.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

After playing 1 non tutorial mission first impressions (mostly avoided pre-release information)

-drat that tutorial mission was terrible
-movement is way better, being able to change directions easier when running and being able to clamber over small things
-you now get damage figures when hitting something which is kinda cool
-OH GOD THEY LOOK LIKE US

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Up to mission 15 and so far all of the voice actors seem the same as in the US release of 5, I typed before going into mission 15

In the middle of making this post they did the 10 motherships speech and i realize they cut and pasted the voice lines from 5. Honestly overall it's less janky than expected tho

e: pretty funny to do the frogman intro mission as mission #18 with the exact same voice lines from edf5, when I've been fighting frogmen since mission #2

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 14, 2024

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

MikeRabsitch posted:

Yeah I'm not following, is Asia with English dub identical to the EN release that we'll be getting?

Almost surely not. It’s a weird mix of cut and paste voice lines from edf5 (most of it) and some new lines at least up to where I’ve played, mission 40. I don’t find it distracting enough to take away any of my fun, and I also don’t know how much the upcoming western release will reuse edf5’s voice work. Probably less than this though?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

i feel like they'd have been better served waiting a few more months for helldivers hype to die down before doing this

IDK, this release is not really being pushed to anybody in the west. You'd really only learn about it in online spaces dedicated to EDF and then you gotta jump through a few hoops to actually play. I'm assuming there'll be a somewhat bigger marketing push for the full game release. The singapore release I'm on is already seeing a low number of active online sessions, but that could be when I play.

Having finished the main story, I'm not really sure I love the (heavy spoilers) reliance on the time loop as the primary focus of the story. It works towards the end of game (mission 100+ or so) when the humans have used their future knowledge to actually make a significant difference to the outcome, but the middle of the game has too many repeating missions with minor differences and difficulty increases. In the middle it really breaks up the feeling of steadily escalating alien madness. Also the aliens aren't aliens anymore and I don't like that. I wonder if they'll jump right to EDF10 after this since I think this game technically ends on EDF9?

Gameplay wise its cool though and an improvement on 5 if you don't count the mission flow as a big negative. Cyborg enemies are cool and creepy, and the high mobility ones have wild spider-man like movements. Kruuls with shields can gently caress off, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Does 5 have more activity these days? I’d honestly pick based on whatever has the most active online users