Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
EDF:IA is decent enough if only for the dialog. Captain Sully and Intel are hilarious, Lighting Alpha is deadpan to the point of comedy, Ops is...Ops.

I never did figure out how the NPC teammates worked in that game, there were at least three of them and you'd get paired up with two for your whole save and how it was decided who you got seemed to be a mystery. I had Oldman and Cyrus, but apparently there was a dude named Kicker too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I remember using the Lysander Z in 2017 to headshot Hectors but I also can't seem to remember if it mattered or not.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Signed up for the PSN list but yeah I only just now made a PSN account for this game so I have zero idea what I am doing! I think I have a mic that works, it works in the menu anyway. I don't really bother signing in most of the time but I will hopefully try and get in on some action.

I got 1000/1000 Gamerscore in EDF 2017 :kamina: so I know what I am doing in-game for the most part. So far I've cleared 2525 on normal and part of hard as Ranger.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Gather armor pickups to increase your armor. You get less than a full point of armor per pickup, and both the number per pickup and total overall armor is different for each class.

Also while we are talking about progress related things, I was sort of terrified that online and offline mission progress are unique to each other, but weapons and armor are not, so it's not so bad after all.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I play online still but I just hardly find the time for this game at the moment and when I do I do not always go online. Really should do it more.

Edit: Could they update the game to international servers? Has that ever been done for a game before?

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 16, 2014

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I started up a youtube playlist of music that I thought would be thematically appropriate or otherwise just fun to play to for EDF. Please give me suggestions, as it's pretty barebones right now and about half tokusatsu/anime stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdadUnZz-2EjS1i-qEVyP0h_x_2ZxoI-9

Also did youtube get rid of the button that randomizes the order of playlists or what?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I plan to hit the EDF hard tonight on PSN if anyone is looking for an excuse. On as of this post.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 1, 2014

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Dear goons I was just playing with: my PS3 froze. Sorry about that. Feel free to continue without me.

That was a fun rear end game though, thanks dudes. My PS3/internet have not been that cooperative for EDF like...ever thus far. Good times.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Will this finally be the long-awaited day, where we can play EDF2 with a good frame rate? Hope this comes out in the US or otherwise will work on the Vita TV I am planning to buy.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
New class: Japanese schoolkids that do flying kick attacks.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
They also uploaded another important EDF video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYmR4js2wEQ

EDF2 with online play, Air Raider, and what looks like a decent framerate??? Please tell me I can play this via import on a US Playstation TV if it doesn't come over.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Man I wish I had anything remotely appropriate to wear that on, holy poo poo.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
GIANT ROBOT. SPIDER MECH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDj0HyyG61g

God drat I hope this makes it to PC.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Levantine posted:

Oh man I hope that's coming out in the west.

When i posted it, there were like 7000 views and half the comments were in English, at least three of them were "please localize this".

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Man that poo poo better be available in the US because that's fuckin hilarious.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

- Evasive roll can destroy / go through buildings

This changes everything.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
That's probably what they did. Play single until you get some turrets, grind up a chunk, play a harder mode to get better turrets, etc. There is probably more recent/relevant advice for this but that's what I did back in EDF 3.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Those songs are fuckin amazing in the English version. I assume it's probably the same in Japanese, but holy poo poo they kept getting darker and more depressing as the game goes on.

We are prepared for any alien threat
The Navy launches ships, the Air Force sends it's jets
And nothing can withstand our fixed bayonets!
The EDF deploys!

so loving sarcastic, it rules.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

mune posted:

So, is there just no word on a release date for NA? I'm waiting with bated breath...

For real. I went and yelled at some twitters, hopefully there will be word soon.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Levantine posted:

what are these twitters i want to yell

@EarthDefenseFce @D3Publisher

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I wish Lowtax would EDF with me. He's done the shout in a few of his LP videos, he know's what's up.

Lowtax do a full LP for EDF.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Did you try shooting at them, while avoiding their attacks?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Doc Morbid posted:

Just bought the Vita port of EDF2/Global Defense Force from play-asia. :getin:

I hope it works on my PlayStation TV. It certainly does work on a Japanese PSTV, but who knows about western ones.

Please do confirm this because I may do this too if we don't get any announcement for an English release this year.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

mune posted:

I have no idea what the problem was, it was shortly after I got the game and was playing on a difficulty and level commensurate to where I was at in the game. For reference, I played EDF 2017 all the way through on inferno, and most of this game as well. Maybe it was a bad connection or something but I got blown away. Must have been an experience unique to me.

My comment was a paraphrase of a quote from EDF:IA :v:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Doc Morbid posted:

I can now confirm that EDF2 Portable V2 works perfectly fine on non-Japanese PlayStation TVs. I'm using a European PSTV with my US PSN account, for whatever it's worth.

Whether you want to play this on a PSTV is another thing entirely, because Portable V2 seems to be based on the previous PSP port and consequently looks like butt (even by EDF standards). It runs far better than any previous version of EDF2 and plays really well, though.

Someday, some fuckin day, EDF2 will get a proper port/remake that looks as good as it can and runs flawlessly. Or, someday, the ps2 emulator will fix the graphics bugs and I'll play it that way. Someday. :smith:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah just announce 4.1 and my game purchases for the rest of the year are secured.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
:getin:

Please suggest me songs for my terribly small EDF playlist. Want songs about bugs, space monsters, killing poo poo, you know the drill.

here's what I got so far: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdadUnZz-2EjS1i-qEVyP0h_x_2ZxoI-9

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Never forget you a member of the EDF!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Firing up EDF 2017 Portable if anyone wants to get some online going. theyear199X if you wanna add me.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Neo Helbeast posted:

Note: Because of how goofy PSN does preorder stuff, if you don't preorder the game but still buy a digital copy launch day, you'll get the preorder bonuses.

Which in this case is an anime Idolmaster tank and a bright gold spider mech.

Did they confirm US preorder stuff somewhere?

I assume I should get this stuff if I have an Amazon preorder already? It is important I get a ridiculous anime tank.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
EDF servers are usually Japan and Not Japan but obviously I can't say for sure as I don't have it yet!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
All missions cleared in EDF 2017 Portable :getin:

Now I just need to grind weapons and gunship kills so I can platinum it before EDF 2 comes!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Light Gun Man posted:

All missions cleared in EDF 2017 Portable :getin:

Now I just need to grind weapons and gunship kills so I can platinum it before EDF 2 comes!

Only took me a month :v:

Bring on EDF 2p and 4.1!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I may attempt to play Fencer online just cuz I'm bad at it and thus everyone else can carry me :v:

But yeah probably Air Raider as well, as it's not my best or worse class.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Section Z posted:

Yeah, I can see that about the flight.

Though I was thinking less underselling the usefulness of dipping into better weapons pools (which I DID do, for a nice lightning shotgun that carried me through my whole attempt at Wings lady), and more "Well, I feel perfectly capable with my normal drops as Ranger, instead of desperate for better guns because of this energy bar".

I also know Fencer is way more kick rear end in a multiplayer scenario (along with Air Raider), but I admit I don't do a lot of that and I'm more thinking along the lines of convenience for just loving around in solo at my leisure.

Still, I should give Wings lady a better shot this time around if only for variety.

While playing 2017 Portable through I developed some decent Pale Wing skills and noticed a few things that might not be so obvious.

Number one, you can get on really tall-rear end buildings sometimes, and sometimes the enemies can't get to you when you do. So fly up to the top of the tallest tower you can make it to (start on the roof of another building, usually helps), and bring a plasma launcher or sniping weapon and rain down murder unopposed. This won't work on every mission, but certainly will on some, possibly letting you get some Inferno weapons early.

Number two, rapiers and red ants. If all you are fighting is red ants, and you're using a rapier type weapon, there's a decent chance you can use it to basically herd them around while slowly wearing down their HP and never get hit. The rapier will constantly stunlock them for short bursts as it hits them, just keep firing and backing up and enjoy your new career as an ant wrangler.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, by rapiers I really mean just any of the close range Pale Wing weapons along those lines.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I had lots of problems when I tried to run it at higher resolutions, though. has that changed? Like there was a huge blurry offset ghost image of the character taking up lots of the screen.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I really want a juicy steak after playing this today

Steak for dinner tonight! Let's go home early!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
As we're all throwing out PSN IDs I'm theyear199X feel free to add me.

I have 4.1 and 2, but my vita is going to stay off for a few days while a refund is processed from a gently caress up I did earlier so I'm preferring 4.1 for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

lets hang out posted:

rolling is faster than running

Roll sideways erryday.

I think I posted this before, but for all the new activity here's a repost. I've put together a bit of a playlist of songs that I feel are entertaining to play EDF to. Please feel free to send me suggestions for more songs.

Youtube version or Spotify version

Each one has a few songs the other doesn't!

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 10, 2015