Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My first exposure to the series was IA on Steam, not being a 360 owner or a JP import gamer, and after playing a couple missions it feels like I've come home.

Considering how much I loved what's considered to be the worst game in the series, I'm really looking forward to digging in to this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Holy poo poo, I just fought giant-robot D-Day.

And it's not even a quarter of the way through the campaign.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm kinda curious, do the classes have an Armor cap?

Edit: Actually, from the looks of it, I guess they don't. Also, holy poo poo, Brute Force. :aaa:

You guys weren't kidding, things are ramping up like crazy.

Runa fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 7, 2014

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mr Phillby posted:

A PC/PS4 re-release would be marvelous, though!

I would double-dip this game on Steam in a heartbeat.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Man, gently caress Gold Ants.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

This is my first EDF game and I'm playing on Hard as a Fencer and I can't get past the fifth mission. I keep getting snagged by spiders from halfway across the map and all my health is gone by the time I even get dragged near the things. If I hear about how the science man is going to call the new giant insects Oscar Pistorius one more time I'm going to kill myself. My weapons include a big hammer that's really good but does gently caress all against spiders/webs, a 20-shot cannon rifle thing that's okay but feels a bit underpowered, and a rocket launcher that fires six missiles into space that never come back and occasionally just shoots the ground in front of me and kills me instead. Please help me. edf.

You don't necessarily have to play Hard. The main reasons to play higher difficulties are to get better weapons and have a tougher challenge. You could also try another character, since the Fencer takes a bit of investment to get going. The Ranger is pretty good vs. Retiarii(?) if you, uh, blow up all the buildings in between you and the spider. Also the webs. Basically, Ranger is really good at blowing stuff up right out the bat and this is one of the reasons why the game recommends him for new players.

If it's weapons you want, you can always try Mission 3 on Hardest or Inferno to potentially get something around lvl. 30-50 and then proceed normally from there once you do have something.

You don't have to grind or farm if you play on Normal or Easy, though admittedly those difficulties aren't very rewarding. The game is meant to be replayed a bunch, though, and even keeps track of which difficulties you've beaten a level on with which character separately.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My first successful DLC Mission 16 Inferno run happened with a Wing Diver armed with a lvl 47 Reflectron Laser D and a lvl 57 Idunn-E Custom 2 thunderbow. I'm nowhere near at a point where Inferno runs are "routine farming" for me, it's always a nail-biting life or death struggle for Guns What Make Bigger Explosions. Speaking of bigger, better guns, two hits with the Demonic Lance and a short burst from the highest-level Dynastrike makes short work of the upgraded blue-chrome Hectors on Inferno. They'll still oneshot you if you gently caress up, but man, Wing Divers are really fun when it comes time to fly along the razor's edge.

On another note find that the mission full of red ants, Crimson, is a good place for an Air Raider to try to upgrade his stuff if you happen to have an auto-aiming helicopter and don't have a good railgun tank yet for some reason.

In terms of playtime I've definitely got Wing Diver highest, then Ranger, then Fencer, and finally Air Raider. I feel I oughta work with the guy a little more, but the lack of targeting reticles for vehicles makes no sense to me at all.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Luceid posted:

Wait until your first cave level where you can't call in any artillery strikes or vehicles!

It would be pretty great if there were special vehicles that could be used underground. Like a mole tank. It would be "airdropped" by it just drilling down into the tunnel where you threw the grenade, like how bugs just spawn out of nowhere from "tunnel entrances." And of course you can't drill more tunnels with it, this is a videogame for crying out loud.

Oh, if only.

It feels weird that the flying lady is the one best-equipped to be a tunnel rat.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The best thing about Fencers, I find, is that their "melee" weapons generally have ranges comparable to the Wing Diver close/mid-range stuff. Even that boring looking Blasthole Spear can usually hit a flying Red drone (200m+ ain't nothing to sneeze at) on the second shot in the combo.

It's pretty satisfying to core a Hector from a block away with a melee attack.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Thanks for the weapon list and level guide!

I think EDF 2025 may have spoiled me with its fantastic variety of weapons and ways to make giant insects explode.

Just wish actually getting my hands on lvl 70+ stuff on Inferno wasn't such a desperate struggle to survive.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm really, really hoping that something comes of that steamdb leak because I've been jealous of you PS4-owners for a while now.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Each class is literally just "what flavor of mass destruction am I going to wreak today." Pick one and have fun. Pick all of them even. Variety is the spice of life.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm glad this game is finally out on steam

Gonna roll with my steam budz aw yiss

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

nice

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

what does this mean

Asset flippers are devs who buy packs of unity assets, plug them in to a half-baked framework for a game over the course of a couple days, then toss the result onto steam for a quick buck.

They used to be pretty noticeable back after Steam's standards were lowered but before Valve revamped the storefront to avoid people getting suckered in by that kind of stuff.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The APC is hilarious and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's always robot D-Day when you're grinding Hectors for drops.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, anybody looking to play Fencer should look up how to dash-cancel. Gotta go fast!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lol that there are some new players saying that gamepad is too hard to use in an EDF game

Seriously though, playing with Kb+M really fucks with my muscle memory as a fencer, holy poo poo. Trying to dash-cancel with LShift and Space feels strange. Also do you not have access to the whole shout/emote menu while playing on kb+m? From the looks of it you have your shortcut wheel and direct keyboard input, but the nested menu seems locked out.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Really Pants posted:

By "nested menu," do you mean the chat options that pop up when you use the arrow keys?

You know I forgot those existed thanks

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

But yeah, the only real high-speed precision aiming you ever really need is against aerial enemies, and odds are only the red drones if we're being real.

If you're talking about sniping ants and spiders up on buildings remember that buildings, like GIANT IN-SECTS, exist to be destroyed.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

That gun is amazing and works when you can't fly. Class is fun when you have a decent gun.
Air Raider is also promising now that I have a spider bot and something called a Balam, also healing decoys. I can finally be the support character I wanted.

When you first give Balam a shot, make sure to do it in a mission with a lot of hectors.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Back on consoles you were expected to grind for armor on Easy with a rubber band on your triggers holding a flamethrower on while aiming just above a black anthill. Or exploit the two player split screen armor duping to turn one thousand hours of grinding into five hundred... though I assume most JP players just hacked their ps3s because I mean really.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Quicksilver6 posted:

I thought it had that option? Or does reserving player slots not work for that?

You're right. The game's UI is a bit clunky and it's not immediately obvious, like a lot of things, but it's perfectly possible to set specific slots to invite-only.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

WarpedLichen posted:

When I set the slots in my game to invite only I lose the option to invite friends to my game, so I dunno.

Yeah, you have to invite using the in-game chat menu you access with your Arrow Keys. Which, incidentally, is how you invited people into reserved slots on console.

It's pretty cumbersome.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mean you can't even kill those boring old transports in the first level they show up.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hey is there still a grenade that you have to use your entire body

Or did they change the text description so that it's not as fantastic as that

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You know if Cheat Engine didn't exist, it would be pretty helpful to know that the game keeps running while you're alt-tabbed out of an easy AFK armor run.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh please you can't hurt civilians anyway

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

IA was my first EDF, being a PC gamer without an Xbox, so I still have fond memories of it.

Thanks to not having a proper EDF game to compare it to.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It also introduced bees, which were later brought into the mainline canon

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

OK now mission 11 is kicking my rear end. Around when the guy says "Gaaah there are too many!" this becomes true.
I've had best success by equipping two UT1 gatlings and walking slowly backwards while swatting them out of the air, but eventually there are so many they surround me and my health just melts.

Gatlings aren't a great choice vs. drones I find. Fast-lock guided missiles and the Galleon Lightweight cannon line tend to work better for me.

If you ever have trouble completing a mission, just kick the difficulty down a notch and beat it that way. You can always go back and clear it on hard later. In fact, the game recommends using Normal and Easy to progress through the game the first time, leaving higher difficulties as a means to get fancier loot and more challenging enemies. You could also go back to a mission that's ridiculously easy even on Hardest or Inferno, like mission 2 or 3, and grind up some better weapons. Also, don't be married to any one class, go ahead and work on all of them. Choosing to run a mostly fresh Fencer solo on Hard might be fun but you really don't need any self-imposed challenges to gate you from seeing 90% of the rest of the game.

One of the easiest missions to farm for decent weapons on Inferno happens to be 14 and you may as well power through the intervening levels on lower difficulties until you reach at least that far.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

When I first saw that post I assumed they asked "is it possible to do split-screen multiplayer?" and didn't see anything weird about Scalding Coffee's reply because my brain wordfilters online to multiplayer

Thanks, internet

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

If you get the Flame Nereid, you can farm Crimson on Inferno brainlessly, all by yourself. It's great.

I noticed they added black ants in Inferno just to make nereiders lives a little harder.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Turn down bgm and sfx but leave voice reasonably loud, the NPC chatter is fantastic and sometimes informative

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I have a friend who insists on throwing bomber charons and lionics at me while I'm flying into shieldbearer shieldscreens

I guess air raiders have their honor too, too

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sonel posted:

" I have plenty of ammo so don't even tell me you lost your magazine"
"I lost my magazine!"

Has anyone seen any of the walking fortresses drop on mission 14 inferno? Trying to figure out if I should keep trying to farm that mission for it or hope I can find one somewhere on hard.

I've had original flavor Walking Fortress Balam drop on Hard from playing normally so it's absolutely within Inferno 14's level range. And on PS4 I've gotten the second Balam from Inferno 14.

Air Raider just has a huge drop table, like almost twice the size of any other class. You'll be a while.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

I plateaued with 14 it seems. I can do it with all classes with minimal risk but some games I get two weapon boxes, sometimes ten but either way I'm barely getting any new weapons on Inferno. What range if missions have the biggest table? Or am I misunderstanding how it works?

Though this was 2025's table, the same idea applies. Each stage has a level range of stuff that can drop on it, depending on the difficulty. In EDF 2025, for example, Inferno 14 can drop weapons from level 0 to 56.

The actual weapon boxes themselves is just RNG. Some stuff is guaranteed to drop multiple boxes like Hectors, other big stuff, and certain upgraded insect varieties. Whether those are weapon boxes, armor boxes, or health boxes is just pure chance.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

that's what she said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My friends discovered that you can one-shot Hectors on inferno with the power of teamwork.

Now I'm the missile mule.